Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Fuuuuuuuuiicccccccc.....

Don't know how that sneak through the defenders

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Sick

Kodjia was awful there

Mugged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Tough to take. Liverpool are unbelievably relentless though.

El Ghazi asleep for 1st goal and Hourihane asleep for the 2nd. Some effort overall though, Engels and Mings were outstanding. Trez put in some shift even though he's careless with the ball sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Heartbreak. 8 minutes from being absolute heroes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Damn!

That's Now Spurs,Arsenal, Man City & Liverpool where there was the potential for big results but everything went sideways in the 2nd half. I think we are better than the table would suggest atm (16th while a win would have had us in the top half) but I am just never confident when Villa lead against a decent side. Despite how good some players like Engels, Mings & Nakamba have looked you just can't be expecting them to defend for so much of the game.

At least that is City & Pool out of the way for a while. Wolves & Newcastle the next two upcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Patser wrote: »
    Almost 2 - great play in a break, Hourihane for Wesley for a tap in, defender got toes barely to it
    Patser wrote: »
    Kodjia was awful there

Mugged

Fine margins but for Villa the game hinged on these two incidents, I thought Hourihane should have took on the shot and Kodjia should have been a bit more aggressive in attacking the ball from corner. A valiant effort from our players Trezeguet was out on his feet but ultimately we lost.

Sickened by the the result. The team were 90% fantastic. I think it's pointless pointing out individual errors when you look at the stats. There was some fantastic defending today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think Kodjia’s is worth a mention. He is a waste of a shirt and undid the work of his teammates who all tried much harder than he did.

CSF wrote: »
    I think Kodjia’s is worth a mention. He is a waste of a shirt and undid the work of his teammates who all tried much harder than he did.

I thought Wesley was much more aggressive and did better work with the ball today, the bit of it that he had, than he had done all season. Both Kodjia and Hourihane's 'effort' for the goal was disappointing. Hard to judge him on a short appearance but he seems to have lost that fire in his play that he had when he was 'King Kodjia'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's your first year back up and you've a manager who was never at this level before either. I think you have enough to be close to mid table by the end of the season and this one is all about survival. If you succeed then I think you will progress next season, all the important pieces are in place by the looks of things. It appears you have a good owner now, excellent coach, good centre backs, good box to box type mids and a promising young striker. Few more pieces needed next season but that team doesn't look far off a top ten side I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Hes never been a work horse. Hes one of those that gives a moment of unbelievable brilliance that scores or is a chance once or twice per game. If we could make a hybrid of Kodjia and Davis, he'd be a starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Just saw Liverpools winner.

It amazes me when teams are defending last minute corners why they never put a player on the post, especially the back post, had villa had McGinn or Guilbert there, that ball would of been cleared off the line and we'd of gotten a point.

I bet Athletico Madrid fans feel the same
    https://youtu.be/fYYggUuYBQo

Amazing stat from the Liverpool game. McGinn was the only player that played who was contracted to the club at this stage last season. Some turnover and turnaround in 12 months really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Corholio wrote: »
    Amazing stat from the Liverpool game. McGinn was the only player that played who was contracted to the club at this stage last season. Some turnover and turnaround in 12 months really.

Hourihane and kodjia?

Corholio wrote: »

That started you mean?

Esse85 wrote: »
    That started you mean?

Yes that started, I should have stated that.

Carabao Cup quarter final against Liverpool confirmed for December 17th, the original date.

Liverpool have announced they'll be using a 2nd squad (U-23) for the game as they'll be playing in World Club Cup the same week.

Great chance to get to a cup semi-final.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We may ****ing win it now.

• Advertisement

This will only make it more embarrassing if the result doesn’t go to plan

This will only make it more embarrassing if the result doesn’t go to plan

Ya it's definitely best to not get overconfident. We all remember Bradford. At home is a nice advantage though.

No England call up for Grealish.

Nothing to do with the injury.

Southgate mentioned Sterling, Sancho, Rashford and Hudson Odi as his competition and said he just needs to keep doing what he's doing.

I'd of had him ahead of Rashford and Hudson Odi, surely the first has played more of a striker role and the latter hasn't played enough.

No England call up for Grealish.

Nothing to do with the injury.

Southgate mentioned Sterling, Sancho, Rashford and Hudson Odi as his competition and said he just needs to keep doing what he's doing.

I'd of had him ahead of Rashford and Hudson Odi, surely the first has played more of a striker role and the latter hasn't played enough.

I like Southgate but he said a few bizarre things today, naming out the wingers as Grealish's opposition in the squad saying he's been playing on the left. He hasn't played anything like a winger, despite starting on the left. Hudson Odoi has started 2 games in 10 for Chelsea. Grealish is in the top 3 for assists from open play this season.

Better for Villa two fold that he's not though. He'll want to prove a point and he won't be playing extra games.

Hopefully Southgate’s nonsense lights a fire in Grealish. He can do with the rest anyway but I’m disappointed for him.

Savo managing Partizan Belgrade. :)

Hopefully Southgate’s nonsense lights a fire in Grealish. He can do with the rest anyway but I’m disappointed for him.

Hopefully it doesnt light a fire under him to get out of Villa into another team.

It stinks of Dublin management a years ago when behind the scenes the selectors were selecting player from certain clubs and not putting too many in.

I'm happy enough he hasn't been selected. Keep him nice and fit for us.

Jack 50:50 for the Wolves game, source DS

Win tomorrow and we go level on points with Spurs and more importantly 6 points clear of the relegation zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Jack 50:50 for the Wolves game, source DS

I'd be a little worried about this. It was said to be a soft tissue injury last week (he had apparently been training before Liverpool) and it's 15 days tomorrow since the Man City game.

• Advertisement

Konsa and Steer start. No Grealish.

I like Steer, and think he deserves a chance, he was our hero last year. Is it for injury though or is Heaton dropped.

Edit: seen bench now, so Heaton missing probably injured?

Didnt hear anything about Engles either. Hope it's nothing serious because hes been super. Hes the bargain of the last window.

Ahh b0ll0x

Not Nyland. Nooooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

What happened to steer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

matrim wrote: »
    What happened to steer?

Muscle injury, commentator said his achilles.

There is a genuine case for hauling Targett off here.

Neil Taylor is no Andy Robertson but he can't possibly do any worse than Targett has at every opportunity today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭tonytiger81

it was coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

This will be a mauling.

fullstop wrote: »
    This will be a mauling.

Just can't be as bad 2nd half.

Targett probably faking it.

That is a mercy substitution if ever I've seen one. Targett has been Sunday league level from the 1st minute.

Which is mad because there have been games where he has looked the strongest player on the park, but he just never showed up today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Damage limitation here. The two enforced subs mean there’s not much Smith can do to change things.

Obviously preparation hasn’t been ideal but that was a really poor first half. Half the team didn’t show up.

That is a mercy substitution if ever I've seen one. Targett has been Sunday league level from the 1st minute.

Which is mad because there have been games where he has looked the strongest player on the park, but he just never showed up today.

In fairness, he had been left facing Traore AND Doherty on his own for most of that half. Trezueguet not tracking back on several occasions.

Luiz and McGinn not really getting involved is also a problem here. We're really poor today so far. There are excuses but we've looked well off the pace. As Easy Rod says, half the team didn't show up for that half. Can't see us finishing this with 11 players.

• Advertisement

I know Douglas Luiz isn't on loan, but if someone could find a recall clause somewhere, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Trezeguet scores then almost gifts one to them. We were better 2nd half but brutal defending for the 2nd goal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Not helped by the injuries etc but we got the result our play deserved today. First half in particular Villa just could not cope with Wolves' tactics and particularly down our left gave Doherty and Traore acres of space.
    I know Douglas Luiz isn't on loan, but if someone could find a recall clause somewhere, it would be greatly appreciated.

I keep thinking I must be missing something as I I barely notice he's playing half the time and yet he's been called up to the Brazil squad and has Pep and co waxing lyrical about him. Maybe I am being too harsh but wouldn't mind seeing Grealish back centrally in the next game with Luiz on the bench.

I think Konsa is decent as backup but hope Engels and Heaton are back fast as both (Engels especially) have been great so far this season. Grealish is really needed too as him being out just highlights how light we are in attack (def need another attacker in January) especially with Wesley either not on form or seeing any ball / players getting up beside him at times.

Really have to be targeting Newcastle next week for a win, I don't fear this seasons version of Utd at all but 3 losses in a row now and Man Utd and Chelsea are after Newcastle.

Always hard to take a defeat but down 3 starters it was always going to be tough. I agree with above on Luiz. Hopefully he comes good but he looks poor so far bar a couple of long range goals.

We are in trouble in Nyland is the starter for the next game. No team has a top 3rd choice keeper and we are no exception.

Nakamba was dreadful with the ball today, a real eye opener for him at this level I'm sure. Doesn't hit passes hard enough sometimes. Gave away the ball 3 times in about 5 min. First 45 was probably the worst since Championship, that Wigan game comes to mind. Luiz wasn't very good either today but he did set up good chances with sweeping passes for Trez, which he wasted. I think Trez needs to keep the ball a lot more rather than trying a difficult run past a player, he can be very reckless with the ball at times. Tried too many hard passes today as a team which led to losing the ball rather than being bit more patient and keeping possession. One positive I thought was that Konsa did well I thought, good backup if needed.

International break coming at good time, get everyone back fit and hopefully do better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement