Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

I didn't see the game today, how did Wesley play?
    Was he an ineffective donkey again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Esse85 wrote: »
    I didn't see the game today, how did Wesley play?
    Was he an ineffective donkey again?

Anonymous. Had a chance similar to the one Jota scored and blazed it over. Apart from that did little or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Steer out for 2 months. Hes been very unlucky with injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

fullstop wrote: »
    Anonymous. Had a chance similar to the one Jota scored and blazed it over. Apart from that did little or nothing.
    Thought he was decent enough at holding the ball up for long enough to bring the ball into play, but there was nothing going on for us in attacking areas from any source, and he was never given, nor created any service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The days of the big man holding up the ball are at an end. He needs chances in the box. No point judging him on what he did 40 yards from goal.

JPA wrote: »
    The days of the big man holding up the ball are at an end. He needs chances in the box. No point judging him on what he did 40 yards from goal.

Of course, but that’s a criticism of the team of which he is a part and should share in that criticism. We are not currently playing the kind of creative football that suits a striker.

I dunno how much people read into XG (and I also know that there are other factors that need to be considered) but by that metric we have actually scored more goals than the expectation created by our performances.

Against Norwich we were obviously a potent attacking threat, but outside of that we’re almost exactly 1 goal per game, which isn’t enough unless you’re one of these Sean Dyche, Tony Pulis level defensive teams who can bore opponents to death.

I’d agree with criticism that Wesley hasn’t set the world on fire and adapted to British football immediately, but I still think the wide areas are much more to be concerned about.

El Ghazi is garbage more often than he is competent and Trezeguet is very patchy also. We’ve seen Grealish played out wide to lessen that need but I think finding that Benrahma type signing in January is key.

I’ve seen Morelos linked from Rangers but I’m not sure he does any better than Wesley unless things improve around him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Jaysus Kalinic is still at the club.

Also two Villa players in the Brazil squad.

Jaysus Kalinic is still at the club.

Also two Villa players in the Brazil squad.

Goes to show the standard Brazil are at these days. 25 years ago they had a string of strikers that would get into almost any team. I think Wesley is going to come good for us but hes not on form.

He would be behind Mcgoldrick and Connolly for Ireland on current form imho.

Luiz isn't great either. Has the makings of a good player but hes not a holding player as some of us were led to believe. Hes behind McGinn and Grealish there and Nakamba is far better holding.

LeBash wrote: »
    He would be behind Mcgoldrick and Connolly for Ireland on current form imho.

The shark has well and truly been jumped.

SJM got the winner for Scotland tonight away to Cyprus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

SJM got the winner for Scotland tonight away to Cyprus.

Had to look up who scored with that post, Good to see McGinn scoring.

Sono wrote: »
    Had to look up who scored with that post, Good to see McGinn scoring.

Sorry, Super John McGinn :D

That's 4 in 2 games for him at Scotland.

That's 4 in 2 games for him at Scotland.

Make that 6 in 3 after tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

That Wolves match was such a disappointment we didn't turn up first half most agree that the second half was an improvement but not by much in my opinion. For the first time since we were promoted based on that performance I actually thought we are in trouble and there are parallels with when we went down in that we have individually good players but collectively at the moment it isn't working on the plus side though we don't have the bad atitudes and dross of 2015/16

The discussion about Wesley is academic until January, for the moment he's our only option unless you consider Kodjia. Kodjia had one good season and has never recovered from his injury at 30 I would look to offload in Jan there have been links with Besiktas. I would then bring in two strikers but can't see that happening.

For all Watford's poor start this season we're only 3 points ahead, Monday night is going to be crucial and if we lose the pressure will really mount on Smith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Oh oh, need some goals from Arsenal and Everton soon or this could be a bad day for us

Arsenals equaliser helps a bit, but big pressure on for a win on Monday

I wouldn't be worrying about other teams results.

Being linked with some lad called Christoph Monschein. Striker from Austria Wein 27. Has 13 goals and 7 assists so far this season. 5 million the fee being mentioned.

• Advertisement

27 years old and no caps for Austria would indicate to me that Wesley will be sleeping well.

All the same 13 goal and 7 assist. I would imagine at this stage of the season that's more than 1 assait or goal per game. Dont know much about Austrian league but a assume its reasonably good.

All the same 13 goal and 7 assist. I would imagine at this stage of the season that's more than 1 assait or goal per game. Dont know much about Austrian league but a assume its reasonably good.

Based on their Champions League participation, I don’t believe it is very good compared to the Premier League.

I don’t want to trash a player I’ve never seen or heard of but it’s not so convincing given that he is 27.

CSF wrote: »
    Based on their Champions League participation, I don’t believe it is very good compared to the Premier League.

I don’t want to trash a player I’ve never seen or heard of but it’s not so convincing given that he is 27.

If it's true, we are buying a peaking player that probably wont have a huge resale but if he gets 7-8 goals and a few assists that keep us up, well worth it. I cant see us emptying the wallet again. Morales is apparently 25 million or no go. That's huge money for a league that's Championship level

If it's true, we are buying a peaking player that probably wont have a huge resale but if he gets 7-8 goals and a few assists that keep us up, well worth it. I cant see us emptying the wallet again. Morales is apparently 25 million or no go. That's huge money for a league that's Championship level

I don’t see a lad coming from the Austrian league who can’t even make the Austrian team starting ahead of Wesley personally even on a rotational basis.

If we’re signing a striker, I think how much gets spent on them should depend on how confident they are that Wesley is going to come good to the extent they want. Are they signing his competition or ultimately his replacement?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The Austrian lad might make sense if it was combined with the signing of someone like Benrahma given the fact that we spent so much in the summer. Otherwise I'd be hoping for a better striker. Now I could be wrong saying better cos he could be great but considering he is coming from the Austrian league and is at his peak right now but still being quoted at only around 5m I consider him extra squad depth and not neccesarily a game changer nor the big attacking improvement we'd be hoping for at least not on his own.

Morales I'd be more excited by but still think he, like Wesley, would need more support from midfield if he is to be a success, hence the Benrahma type being mentioned.

• Advertisement

The Austrian lad might make sense if it was combined with the signing of someone like Benrahma given the fact that we spent so much in the summer. Otherwise I'd be hoping for a better striker. Now I could be wrong saying better cos he could be great but considering he is coming from the Austrian league and is at his peak right now but still being quoted at only around 5m I consider him extra squad depth and not neccesarily a game changer nor the big attacking improvement we'd be hoping for at least not on his own.

Morales I'd be more excited by but still think he, like Wesley, would need more support from midfield if he is to be a success, hence the Benrahma type being mentioned.

Austria Wein are broke apparently and he is the only "sellable asset" as the club have put it. He hasn't been prolific up until this season. 13 goals in 16 games and 7 assist. At least hes in form.

Wingers are our issue though. Benrahma has been brilliant but this season hes a bit like Grealish, you can see the class but goals and assists haven't been great. Still think he is a bug step up on the form of our current wingers.

Big risk at 20 million though?

Austria Wein are broke apparently and he is the only "sellable asset" as the club have put it. He hasn't been prolific up until this season. 13 goals in 16 games and 7 assist. At least hes in form.

Wingers are our issue though. Benrahma has been brilliant but this season hes a bit like Grealish, you can see the class but goals and assists haven't been great. Still think he is a bug step up on the form of our current wingers.

I think we need to be in risk mode though. I feel both our Premier League status and Smith’s job status are probably more fragile in late November than we’d have expected, so a big successful signing might be just what is needed to make both safe.

Would agree with CSF on this.

This £5m Austrian guy hardly sounds like a player.

We need to invest/risk/gamble call it what you like in January.
    The reward of staying in the league is far too big a gamble to take.

Kodjia and Davis can move on, neither are good enough for this division.

Giroud was mentioned on on a recent podcast, I'd love someone like him on a short term contract, he's not getting much game time at Chelsea, wants to be in the France team in the summer I'm sure.
    I'm happy to look at short term quality options in the attacking areas to simply keep us in the division.

Would agree with CSF on this.

This £5m Austrian guy hardly sounds like a player.

We need to invest/risk/gamble call it what you like in January.
    The reward of staying in the league is far too big a gamble to take.

Kodjia and Davis can move on, neither are good enough for this division.

Giroud was mentioned on on a recent podcast, I'd love someone like him on a short term contract, he's not getting much game time at Chelsea, wants to be in the France team in the summer I'm sure.
    I'm happy to look at short term quality options in the attacking areas to simply keep us in the division.

Giroud (especially on loan) might just be what Wesley needs to allow time to settle/provide competition for Wesley to hopefully end up exceeding.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm not sure how much of a huge risk 20m is these days despite it being not too far off our record. We didn't want to do another 20m in the summer given how much we had already spent but I do believe a Benrahma type even if not necessarily him is needed come January and wouldn't mind Villa spending that money.

Don't know if Giroud would be happy to be in rotation at Villa (but still would probably start most of the time so...) and it might be a bit harsh to have Wesley dropping to the bench already (but it might only be temporary as he adapts so..) as even in this modern world of immediacy players do need time to adapt to new leagues / teams etc but (add the two bits in the brackets together above and...) it could actually be the perfect solution if there was any truth to Giroud to Villa musings. Giroud has great link up play and could bring players like Grealish and the wingers into the attack so much more so than they often seem to be. As to be honest a lot of the problems with Wesley so far this season for me have been that he has been isolated and not often had great service and chances created for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

From the Austrian side their doesn't seem to be any truth in the Monschein rumours. Gregg Evans also seemed to be categorical that Villa weren't interested in Morales either.

I hope Villa are at least in for Bowen. Will have a lot of competition I'm sure but would be a very nice addition. On strikers, it's a tricky one. It doesn't sound like it will be a lot of money spent financially from some things reporters have said but I've no doubt there's definitely at least plans to bring one in.

Really need a win tonight, it won't lift us too much up the table, we're in 17th and a win brings us to 15th on GD.

Lose and I feel it could be us falling back in with the other 3 beneath us.

We need Jack back to his best.

Heaton, Engels and Target back tonight, Steer out 3-4 months.

Really need a win tonight, it won't lift us too much up the table, we're in 17th and a win brings us to 15th on GD.

Lose and I feel it could be us falling back in with the other 3 beneath us.

We need Jack back to his best.

Heaton, Engels and Target back tonight, Steer out 3-4 months.

Lose with Man United, Chelsea and Leicester as the next 3 and Smith will be joining Emery, Silva and Pellegrini in the paper talk.

A win should buy us a bit of rope.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Fairly big game tonight, bit of narrative as well with Bruce.

I really think this is a must win game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Yeah next 3 are nasty as well so really need a win tonight or we could easily be in huge trouble a few games from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Engels misses out. Nakamba and Trez on bench, Luiz and Conor start. Jack and Heaton return too.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1199040087792717830?s=19

Team:

496156.jpg

That's a strong team IMO. Please win!

I'm surprised Trezeguet is benched having scored a couple recently.

I'm surprised Trezeguet is benched having scored a couple recently.
    And Nakamba who has contributed way more than the other 2 so far this season, particularly Douglas Luiz.

• Advertisement

Grealish pushed out left wing I guess. Very attacking line up.

Douglas, Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish and El Ghazi are goal scoring threats.

Wesley brings markers to himself

CSF wrote: »
    And Nakamba who has contributed way more than the other 2 so far this season, particularly Douglas Luiz.

Yeah midfield worries me, there's a real lack of physical power, no aerial ball winners, and as a Newcastle player you'd not be worried about getting clattered off any of our lot in there. All nice and tidy on the ball but off it I'm slightly worried.

Villa dominating, Newcastle look to hit us on the break.

Final ball every time has been rubbish.

Villa dominating, Newcastle look to hit us on the break.

Final ball every time has been rubbish.
    Was going to post something similar. Dominant both in posession and in territory and yet there is a sloppiness I really really don't like about this performance so far.

Is that referee completely thick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The ref was correct on the free as it was outside the box but how is that not a yellow card?

Conor 1-0 :)

HOURIHANE!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Great free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭tonytiger81

Delicious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement