Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

LeBash wrote: »
    Really poor from Mings. For all he does well he still has a big mistake in him.

He has been super ropey all season. Does all the typical English centre back so well and then in nearly every game he’s done something super rash.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Think Mings started to believe his own hype. Too casual and relaxed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Haven't been the greatest in 2nd halves recently but the team is good enough to beat United (so hopefully we don't lose) and have played well enough this game that that can be seen. Grealish has run this game so far

Think Mings started to believe his own hype. Too casual and relaxed.

I don't think he has been terrible but I've been more impressed by both Konsa and Engels in the games they have played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Set pieces have been disappointing. Played well otherwise, disappointing goal to give away aside. A bit messy with passes in final third, would have had even more chances otherwise.

Lot of space on wings, need to make more use of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We are burying them in the midfield. Grealish running the show again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

We've been a bit complacent and sloppy this half. Need to up our game a bit

matrim wrote: »
    We've been a bit complacent and sloppy this half. Need to up our game a bit

Utd have upped the tempo this half, gotta try to get a grip back on the game and impose ourselves more on the action like in the first half for sure

Jaysus that was some chance for Grealish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

From a great chance to 2-1 down. I hate this fixture

• Advertisement

Jaysus that was some chance for Grealish!

and a minute later Man Utd score!

Need to keep the heads up now

2-2 mings

I'd say this is a fun game for a neutral.

Mings thought he was offside, didn't even celebrate. Correct decision though looking at the replay.

Was probably the only player on the pitch onside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Delighted with that result. We had some really good chances to be ahead throughout the game but 2-2 with out record, away and keeps us 3 points clear of relegation. Goal difference is almost like an extra point at this stage as well.

Taking a point from Old Trafford is never a bad result even if it's usually a stronger Utd side your against.

Coming back from going behind has to be seen as a step in the right direction too, as well as seeing the game out in the end. Had a couple of chances to maybe win it as well, that Grealish chance especially.

United were the better team in the 2nd half so will absolutely take that.

• Advertisement

Game was there for the taking but obviously because it's them you'd have to take the draw. Amazing how there was no fear of them getting the winner whereas the last time we played them you'd have gone to bed after Grealish's goal because they'd have won handy.

McGinn had a quiet game again I thought but all the play seems to go through Jack out the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Will take it, could easy of won it.
    Mings made up for an earlier mistake.

Wesley worked hard and held the ball up to bring others into play a few times, he done that well, threw himself to the ground easily a couple of times too, still never looks a threat in front of goal.

Jack scored a cracker and missed an easy chance, think he missed a similar chance on his left against Derby in the playoffs, but overall he was outstanding again and led by example.

Mings needs to be more aggressive and focused, he's too much the Mr.Nice guy, nearly every game he gives up a goal scoring chance due to sloppy indecision. Took his goal well.

From 65 mins I wanted a change, Nakamba on for Hourihane who was quiet, I felt we needed fresh legs in the middle.
    McGinn was quiet again, maybe a rest is required.

Pity AEG got injured early as I felt he started brightly.

The two goals we conceded, both back post headers, similar to the Liverpool winning goal we gave away, we need to cut that out.

Douglas Luiz is our Mascherano, he's like a jack russell running around, he's improving.

Very proud of the players and manager today.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Wesley worked hard and held the ball up to bring others into play a few times, he done that well, threw himself to the ground easily a couple of times too, still never looks a threat in front of goal.
    I think a big part of this is the amount of games he has played without a partner up front or a traditional number 10. It is obviously much easier for a striker to play well when he has teammates close to him, and that isn't really how we play. It is a case of get the ball to Jack, whenever we can, but that is usually cutting in from wide, so it becomes difficult for Wesley to link up with Jack without dropping deep.

When he drops deep he is obviously less likely to create a goalscoring chance of his own. He'd obviously benefit more from Jack playing as an advanced number 10, but Jack seems to be having the games of his life playing in this system, so Wesley is just going to have to keep putting in the shifts he is putting in as a supporting cast member of the Jack Grealish show.

CSF wrote: »
    I think a big part of this is the amount of games he has played without a partner up front or a traditional number 10. It is obviously much easier for a striker to play well when he has teammates close to him, and that isn't really how we play. It is a case of get the ball to Jack, whenever we can, but that is usually cutting in from wide, so it becomes difficult for Wesley to link up with Jack without dropping deep.

When he drops deep he is obviously less likely to create a goalscoring chance of his own. He'd obviously benefit more from Jack playing as an advanced number 10, but Jack seems to be having the games of his life playing in this system, so Wesley is just going to have to keep putting in the shifts he is putting in as a supporting cast member of the Jack Grealish show.

Most teams don't play with two strikers.
    When a ball is whipped into the box, via a cross from the wing or set piece, I never think Wesley will get on the end of it. When the ball bounced off him for that disallowed goal, it just typified him.

He did his bit today as I said, never easy being the lone ranger at old Trafford.

Is there a goal scorer there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

When a ball is whipped into the box, via a cross from the wing or set piece, I never think Wesley will get on the end of it.

That sums it up for me as we did have a few corners and free kicks today and couldn't capitalise, just got to hope he finds his scoring boots soon.

• Advertisement

Most teams don't play with two strikers.
    When a ball is whipped into the box, via a cross from the wing or set piece, I never think Wesley will get on the end of it. When the ball bounced off him for that disallowed goal, it just typified him.

He did his bit today as I said, never easy being the lone ranger at old Trafford.

Is there a goal scorer there?
    Most teams play a number 10 though. So there is still usually somebody close to the striker. It is why the striker from the away team so often looks that more isolated, because plenty of away teams play a holding midfielder instead.

However, since Grealish's move to the left, we do that in every game. McGinn, Hourihane and Luiz all offer plenty of good things, but none of them usually arrive close to Wesley in the early stages of play.

The Wesley thing is a funny one really, he doesn't look too dangerous in the box at times, although a wonder if that's a result of type of play behind him where it's connecting passes rather than targeting him specifically for crosses etc. I think he does bring the other attacking players into the game and allows them to do their thing by dropping deep to pass off the ball.

Villa are 6th top scorers in the league but main striker isn't a constant threat. It's one of those strange things.

I’d agree that our system and where Grealish is playing seems to affect both Wesley and maybe even McGinn.

No second striker or no.10 means Less support and more isolation with regards Wes who becomes easier to mark as a result. Meanwhile McGinn seemed to way more involved when Grealish was central as most of our play goes through him and therefore CM is sometimes bypassed in favor of quick ball to the wings now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Really we need to start looking at why our CM goes missing in games from the 60th minute onwards or so. This has happened in far too many games. It was a good point away in the end, but do not discount how poor this Man Utd team actually are, they are woeful. I just hope Ole is still in charge when we play them at home.

But again the manager has to see that we need to make a change in the CM at the 60th minute stage as the same thing is happening over and over again. Maybe its to do with the fact we don't have another striker to bring on, I don't know if that's also part of this issue but where would we be in the league this morning if we could keep playing in games for 80/90 mins like we do in the first 60 mins of games? Probably in the top 6.

Also our corners this season have been nothing less then embarrassing. Im not a fan of Horihane, but he is a top class set piece taker, why then are we taking short corners all the time when he there to whip these in? How many times did we do this yesterday again, to only mess it up without putting the ball into the box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Fulham away in the FA cup. Not easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

JPA wrote: »
    Fulham away in the FA cup. Not easy.

But a nice day out from a fan's perspective a stroll along the banks of the Thames, plenty of pubs and a ground with creaking stands bags of character

El Ghazi out tomorrow night with knee injury. Jota back in full training and available. Guilbert suspended, Elmo likely to slot in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Another draw would be great tonight

sc86 wrote: »
    Another draw would be great tonight

I'm not looking forward to it nor am I feeling confident.
    Very big ask to go again having played away to United on Sunday.

Tammy is an injury concern for Chelsea.

Nakamba in for Luiz, Elmo in for suspended Guilbert and Trez in for injured El Ghazi. Jota back in the squad.

Tammy starts for Chelsea. A draw here would be great.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1202294130153590785?s=19

Tammy starts for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

On Amazon prime for those that have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Terrible headed clearence from mings. Lucky tammy couldn't do much with it. Chasing shadows at the minute. Haven't been able to get on the ball yet.

Tammy 1 níl. Not looking good.

Chelsea goal. Poor from heaton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

We've been absolutely abysmal so far. Mings all over the place again

matrim wrote: »
    Chelsea goal. Poor from heaton

But harsh on Heaton. William initially and then James with too much time on the ball. Not enough pressure been put on chelseas crosses

But harsh on Heaton. William initially and then James with too much time on the ball. Not enough pressure been put on chelseas crosses

He took a step out to try get the ball which left him in no man's land. He might not have gotten to it anyway but where he ended up he had no chance

I can't get it working on Prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

3 corners in a row that didn't clear the near post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Get Hourihane off the pitch. He’s done nothing but dive and complain. Nearly cost us a goal there.

Trez and Wesley completely out of the game.

I can't get it working on Prime.

See bargain alerts channel.

remoteboy wrote: »
    Get Hourihane off the pitch. He’s done nothing but dive and complain. Nearly cost us a goal there.

Gway will ya

• Advertisement

We cannot condede again before half time, or its game over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement