Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'd go Kodija off Adomah on rather than Thor.

We need a goal and Thor has offered nothing going forward. Kodija at least always offers a chance to do something good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'd go Kodija off Adomah on rather than Thor.
    I think Bjarnason has looked every bit of a player still adjusting to the new league he is in. He needs time. Taking Kodjia off would be nuts seeing as we don't really have another striker half as good to bring on if chasing the game late on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

matrim wrote: »
    We need a goal and Thor has offered nothing going forward. Kodija at least always offers a chance to do something good

Thor offers a bit of protection ahead on Hutton going on one of his mad ones. Kodija has been killing the attack any time he gets on the ball.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Or if you're leaving Kodija on you'll have to push him up top.

Or if you're leaving Kodija on you'll have to push him up top.
    In time.

F*ck

Lansbury O.G

Game over. Very poor.

Who was saying they don't believe in curses?

No bad luck there. Poor marking followed by another failed clearance. 2 completely avoidable goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I believe in ****ness.

• Advertisement

I would call it two bizzare goals. Newcastle have been better since the first but no way they should be 2 up.

I don't believe in luck or curses or any of that ****e, but I'm starting to.

Two poxy goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭basillarkin

awful miss?or a good save

awful miss?or a good save

91 league clubs: Good save.
    AVFC: Awful miss.

Hard to grasp how Elphick continues a career at this level. He is Titus Bramble bad, completely brainless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's not over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Panrich

They've given up here.

One of these days we'll make an unforced change when behind before the 70th minute. Today is not that day.

This is truly dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Bjarnnasson really struggles with passing to teammates. Not generally considered a positive trait in footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

If I was Hogan I'd slap the head off kodjia. He's given him nothing but woeful over hit balls or overran it.

LeBash wrote: »
    If I was Hogan I'd slap the head off kodjia. He's given him nothing but woeful over hit balls or overran it.
    Yup, I didn't expect to be saying we might miss Ayew so soon, but Kodjia's performances from wide have been very lacklustre.

There's no spine in the team, no one you'd have first on the teamsheet nailed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Kodjia out wide is not working at all. Despite his selfishness he's our only threat going forward, haven't seen anything from Hogan yet that suggests he is the goalscorer we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

There's no cohesion, no interplay, no movement! We play like a bunch of strangers thrown together.

It's absolutely awful and the uncertainty at the back just compunds matters.

Lads all jokes aside it's about staying in the division now.

There's no spine in the team, no one you'd have first on the teamsheet nailed on.
    I think that is more symptomatic of the performance of the team at large. Poor Hogan just hasn't had a hope in this team.

• Advertisement

Hogan going off injured.

Hogan going off injured.
    Hopefully not serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

rebelomar wrote: »
    Lads all jokes aside it's about staying in the division now.

We're very lucky we got that run of good results after Bruce joined. I can't see him lasting the season though

And that caps a memorable evening.

Savman wrote: »
    Kodjia out wide is not working at all. Despite his selfishness he's our only threat going forward, haven't seen anything from Hogan yet that suggests he is the goalscorer we need.

He needs the ball actually passed to him. His service has been shocking. Anyway, we have taken care of having to get an answer to that for the rest of the season

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    We're very lucky we got that run of good results after Bruce joined. I can't see him lasting the season though
    I genuinely don't get how he can last the night. Relegation is legitimately an overly scary possibility. Hard to see where the next points are coming from and I'm dreading my trip over this Saturday. Will be the last one I book this season under Bruce that much is for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Paying 15m for an injury prone player was always going to be a risk, hopefully its not a recurrence of an old injury. Looks like he came down on his ankle., he was in agony. Hope its not a lengthy lay off.

Bruce cant seem to settle on a system but with this injury it should be back to one up top. Well unless he wants to start playing gabby again.

We are now in a dangerous position and haven't had that winning feeling albeit a lucky one against Burton since Stephens day.

Bruce doesn't inspire me with confidence, i believe he is out of his depth and while he is going to get time i firmly believe he is not the man for the job. It is a depressing time for the football club and all concerned.

Failure to win either of our next two games and we are in the relegation mix although some will argue we are already.

That was just like the **** from last season with a completely new team. Reminds me of this

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.wisdompills.com/2014/05/28/the-famous-social-experiment-5-monkeys-a-ladder/amp/?client=safari

That was pathetic, went down with a whimper. Signing out for the night rather than spending the night getting myself even further worked up ranting about how Bruce has legitimately made Di Matteo look less bad by comparison.

Truly disgraceful stuff. Without changes we're going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's shocking how the team plays to.....well just play. It never looks like the team plays to score or has a way of going about it. That's the thing that's surprised me most since Bruce came in, not even the poor performances but the total lack of an attacking plan, home and away. For a guy who's so experienced managing teams it doesn't seem like any type of certain plan has got across. His goals will help strengthen his defence but Kodjia's general play is so frustrating at times. He plays like the new guy at 5 a side who wants to score all the goals and it severely hurts the team because he's a go to guy with the ball.

So you sack Bruce, what next? Is there anyone out there who can get 11 Aston Villa players playing with a bit of a plan? With a bit of urgency?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

CSF wrote: »
    Hopefully not serious.

looked pretty bad was nice to see the Newcastle supporters claps hands for him although you'd want to be a pretty bad sort not to, Adomah needs to start don't no why he's not starting.

looked pretty bad was nice to see the Newcastle supporters claps hands for him although you'd want to be a pretty bad sort not to, Adomah needs to start don't no why he's not starting.

Bruce interview intimated he went over on his ankle so hopefully it's not broken.

Ya I agree about Adomah, he should definitely be playing. I think Bjarnason could be useful, especially away from home, but not out on the right side for sure. Really, really need to get at teams at home rather than just out there to play it seems sometimes.

I thought Taylor played decent tonight actually, handled Yedlin overlapping very well and didn't do much wrong at all.

The rate at which Bruce has gone through formations and tactics without much differing form is baffling to be honest. I wouldn't mind at all if he was changed tomorrow because being bereft of much change despite the tactics is appalling. 20 goals in 21 games under Bruce, only Wigan and Rotherham have the same or less. Shocking reading to be honest. I've liked watching Brentford this season and Dean Smith is pretty rated there as well, not to mention he's a Villa fan. Maybe it needs that, I don't know. I know often bringing in someone who has an affiliation with the club or a love for the club can have variable results from good to bad, like any manager, but maybe the club needs that I don't know. There's certainly something missing from the team, and has been for quite a while despite a massive turnover of players.

Hogan going off injured.

Did anyone else note that nobody except Hutton came up to see how he was? It just seemed a bit off that everyone just left the scene. I suppose that the medics were doing their job but even when he was being carried off it seemed a lonely journey for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

Right so lads I didn't get to see the game last night, was it really that bad yeah? At this rate we may as well write off every away game left because we ain't getting any points anywhere we go. How many points would ya need to be safe usually, 50? So 4 wins and 2 draws. Wouldn't be overly confident of getting that tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Leeds fan here. Villa will be fine.

When we were relegated to league 1 we were in complete financial meltdown and were barely able to field a team of 11. Twas a much worse situation than Villa are in now.

Two winnable home games coming up. Get results there and you can start planning for next season in the Championship.

Sono wrote: »
    Right so lads I didn't get to see the game last night, was it really that bad yeah? At this rate we may as well write off every away game left because we ain't getting any points anywhere we go. How many points would ya need to be safe usually, 50? So 4 wins and 2 draws. Wouldn't be overly confident of getting that tbh

Lack of goals is killing us. We've scored 1 away goal in 6 games this year while conceding 11.

Panrich wrote: »
    Lack of goals is killing us. We've scored 1 away goal in 6 games this year while conceding 11.

Which is mad considering we spent 36 million on strikers this year, all of which had tons of goals in the league, 12 million on a winger, then rebuilt the midfield to supply the front men with 2 guys with some of the highest assists in the league, all the while we have what some used to consider one of the brightest young talents in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Highlight from the game was Sam Johnstone made one or 2 very good saves

LeBash wrote: »
    Which is mad considering we spent 36 million on strikers this year, all of which had tons of goals in the league, 12 million on a winger, then rebuilt the midfield to supply the front men with 2 guys with some of the highest assists in the league, all the while we have what some used to consider one of the brightest young talents in England.

12 million on a winger?

For me there's been too many changes, too quickly. They play like a team of strangers, no cohesion.

JPA wrote: »
    12 million on a winger?

For me there's been too many changes, too quickly. They play like a team of strangers, no cohesion.

I think a large part of that is due to a lack of a plan coming from management. How many formations has Bruce tried? If players knew what they were supposed to be doing then it becomes easier to work together.

I think a large part of that is due to a lack of a plan coming from management. How many formations has Bruce tried? If players knew what they were supposed to be doing then it becomes easier to work together.

Yes, management has to take the blame, throwing good money after bad in the hope of hitting on a winning formula.

What position was Hourihane playing at Barnsley? I don't think he was in a central 3 was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Other than the goal the first half was ok we restricted them to few opportunities and competed well.

2nd half as CSF said was pathetic so many misplaced passes, how many attempts on goal did we have was it two? Why is our build up play so slow? There is no sense of urgency, no pass and move. This was exactly where we left off against Barnsley we could have played till the end of the year and still not scored. Newcastle were ok but certainly no world beaters.

It comes to something when Alan Hutton is our most creative player. I've got a ticket for Rotherham and had planned to go to Huddersfield and perhaps Fulham but I just can't watch those performances any more.

Lose to Derby and Bristol and Bruce will be gone.

• Advertisement

To be fair, a lot of Villa fans would have made a similar amount of changes, especially in the midfield. Player wise I think the club bought well in January, and for not a great spend overall after ins and outs. Tactically and fitting them in quick has been the problem, and just....something else that's been lacking at Villa for a while. I look at the best 11 I think is there and the results should be much, much better. That in the end comes down to management.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement