Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a primary teacher take a day to see a doctor?

Options
  • 06-02-2017 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭

Hope this is an OK query. I've been on the INTO site and I'm not entirely sure what the story is.

I'm not necessarily sick per se, but I do need to get a blood test done for general health. It's only available to me in my doc's surgery in the mornings so I've been putting it off and off. Five years teaching now and have never had a sick day. Can anyone tell me if the above is a legitimate sickie? In fairness I don't even need a full day, I could be back in school for ten easily, and the nurse confirmed she could give me a doctors note / cert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Afraid it will still be counted as a full day even if you go back in for ten so take the full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭J.R.

Check with the principal - if back in school by 10.00 they may not class you as absent for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Could you check in with your GP to do an early morning test?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭fat bloke

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Could you check in with your GP to do an early morning test?

Would still be 9am and it's only one morning a week. I'll have a chat with the boss. She's dead on, that was never going to be the issue. I just wondered how officialdom would regard it.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Absence for part of a day is counted as absence for the full day. That's the rule. Some principals may be more easy going but that's the standard.
    A note/letter from the Dr's secretary to say you attended an appointment there will count as your cert for the day and the day will be counted as a day's certified sick leave.
    Ask your principal and take the time you need. No point waiting till midterm for a blood test!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Not directly relevant to your question re rules and regulations but for your own information you can go to any gp and ask for a particular blood test and explain that your own GPs hours do not suit your work needs. It wouldn't be a big deal for any Dr. You can bring results back to your gp then if you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

I think you should never fear about going to the Doctor or allow work get in the way of minding your health. As you said yourself; you don't abuse the system and have not taken a sick day. Make the appointment and attend and don't worry about work. Leave work for your class if your worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

There is an understanding soon that part dayabsences will be recorded locally and only entered when full day is reached according to TUI mag so assume into will be same. Ask Principal

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Where I live , tests must be done in the early morning to be sent off to the lab, so unless a gp can open earlier than 8.30 am, I have no choice but to take the time .

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

Can't ignore health. We have to take care of ourselves, because, as far the Ed system is concerned, we are just a number, very easy to replace, no problem recruiting new teachers, on a much inferior pay scale.

I need to have a mammogram done, and as as soon as my appointment arrives, I will not be apologetic. Need to have bloods done as well, but have scheduled to have them done during the MTB.

Check with Principal, if you will not be marked absent, come back to school, if you are going to be marked absent, take the day off.

Take care of yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement