Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good and bad areas of Dublin 15

Options
  • 06-02-2017 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

What the title says basically.

What parts of Dublin 15 are 'good and safe' and what parts are to be avoided.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How do you mean? Which areas are safest to walk through, which areas are you most likely to be burgled etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

To be fair, most areas of Dublin 15 are safe and friendly. OP, can you be more specific as to why you are inquiring after?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This thread has the potential to turn into a mess, but I'm leaving it open for the moment. However the first sign of people generalising about areas or the people in them will get the thread locked.

OP, I suggest you be more specific, are you looking to move to D15, and if so, what are your requirements, e.g. transport links, educational facilities, etc. If not, why do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Everywhere is grand..Avoid some parts of Blanch such as Corduff, ladyswell etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

No such thing as a good area and a bad area imo, only good and bad people.

I've lived in Dublin 15 for over 12 years now and have friends from all over the area, not all of them have the most expensive addresses but they're all good people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

OP here.

Sorry, I'm just looking to see what areas would cause an outsider trouble.

My folks are looking for a btl property, and I'm looking for information for them,

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In fairness, from what I've seen on Boards over the last while, the thing that causes landlords the most trouble is the tenants, not the area the property is in. But tbh, the best thing your parents can do is drive around the areas that are in their price range, both during the day and at night, to get a feel for what they're like. There's no point in us telling you that Castleknock village is a lovely place and they should buy there if their budget is half of what would be needed to buy there. They should also have a look at areas that are close to public transport links. People aren't going to want to rent somewhere that's a half an hour walk to the nearest bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

It's worth baring in mind that the places that appear the nicest won't generate the best returns by a long shot.
    Your parents aren't going to live there themselves, so the question is which areas are most desirable to renters not which areas are "good".

Tyrellstown for instance wouldn't be a particularly "good" area but would have great yields and be easily rentable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Tenants seem to like to trash the properties in Wellview, and that's not a generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's worth baring in mind that the places that appear the nicest won't generate the best returns by a long shot.
    Your parents aren't going to live there themselves, so the question is which areas are most desirable to renters not which areas are "good".

Tyrellstown for instance wouldn't be a particularly "good" area but would have great yields and be easily rentable.

For a BTL, rental return and potential appreciation are the two criteria to consider. Somewhere along the railway line (electrification in twenty years or so) with good returns already would offer the most potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tyrellstown for instance wouldn't be a particularly "good" area.

I never understand why this line keeps getting trotted out (usually by people with little experience of it), it's actually a pretty decent area relatively speaking. The issue I think people have, of more so the fear, is of the young population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

If you want information on social indices you should check out the ARIO all Ireland census mapping tool. http://airomaps.nuim.ie/id/AI_Atlas/?mobileBreakPoint=400/ - just bring up the layers and you can see all sorts of data on an area.

You will see that areas like Tyrrelstown are towards the top level for employment and 3rd level education. It is also considered Affluent on the HP deprivation index. This is one of the best ways to help identify up and coming areas although it cannot be viewed in isolation. Areas with a lot of retired people will show as statistically as lower on both education and income even though they are generally considered more desirable areas - Roselawn, Glenville, Delwood for example.

Tyrrelstown offers one of the best ROIs in the area for investment and the properties are always in demand due to the high numbers of employers close by. It does suffer from a lack of transport options.

In my experience new areas up towards Ongar are similar regarding crime levels etc (reasonably low), they have worse traffic but are closer to the train. I don't think the ROI on rentals in those areas is quite a good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What the title says basically.

What parts of Dublin 15 are 'good and safe' and what parts are to be avoided.

Whats their budget. Apt or house etc?

Advertisement