Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvin Window Disaster

Options
  • 06-02-2017 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Folks looking for some input/advice please..I know there are some posts regarding Marvin windows and the ongoing issues people are having with them,but nothing is in relation to the problem we have at the minute,,which is since 2004 when we bought the windows we have had the usual problems that lots have had with the product ie mould,mildew,rotting frames etc..
    Anyway to cut a long story short Marvin at first replaced bottom sashes and some years later came back and replaced the complete unit ie both sashes and frames in every window in the house which was a total of 22 units,,This was done in May/June 2015..Great you may think and so did we,,,until last week when we noticed during a heavy rain shower that the rain was flowing in and coming down the wall and on closer inspection of the other 2 Dormer windows we had the same problem but not quite as bad with just water stains on the ceilings beneath the 2 windows..because there are studded walls beneath these 2 windows we cant see just how much damage has been done behind the wall.

With closer inspection of the window which was the worse effected after removing a piece of slab we have determined that the water is coming in at the bottom corner of either the frame,which would suggest a manufacturing fault or coming in where the frame sits on the timber roof casing which would suggest a fitting fault..its hard to determine which is the cause..

So too cut the story short again we first got onto Marvin in Dunlavin Co Wicklow who we bought them from and they told us that Nothing to do with them and to contact Marvin direct in America as they had pulled out of Ireland in 2014,we did this with pictures and telling them the story and they say its not a manufacturing fault but maybe a fitting fault.

So I got back on to Dunlavin who supplied and fitted and they tell me that the fitting was nothing to do with them and they subbed out the fitting,contacted the crowd that fitted ony for him to inform me that he liquidated the company in 2015 because he knew that this was coming down the road and that he is in no doubt that it is the fault of Marvin the Manufacturer and not a fitting **** up..what else would he say,,now to be fair he is going to come out and look at the situation..but he is not admitting any liability

After contacting my own House Insurance co they sent a assessor but they also are not going too cover it as they say it is either a fitting fault or manufacturing fault and nothing to do with them and in fairness they are probably right..

So there you have it,What i really want to know has anyone had the Same problem as me ie after the compete units having been replaced have they had any problems like above,

PS Marvin in America now tell me that the 10 year warranty that you get with the windows didn't start again when they replaced the windows a year and a half ago,the warranty was up when they installed them,so basically no warranty even though it was a new/different window,,

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Warranties don't re-start on replacement as a general rule.

Realistically and unfortunately you have very limited if any consumer rights remaining as the windows were installed 13 years ago. I would imagine that even if a registrar was willing to allow a small claims procedure that you are looking at more than 2k of repairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I know sweet FA about windows, but as a stop gap could you use some sealant on the gaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The limit is six years on claims I'm afraid OP. They can promise beyond that but as soon as it's a day over they're no longer prevented from asserting your claim is barred. That's putting aside the 'they' in this case no longer exists.

Sucks I'm afraid OP but you're going to have to pay to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sashadog

Yea as I thought,,,But if its a fitting fault that a different story surey..

Have it sealed (ish) temporary..

• Advertisement

Sashadog wrote: »
    Yea as I thought,,,But if its a fitting fault that a different story surey..

Sorry I've just re read your OP.

To clarify who did you buy them off, and who did the remedial work in 2015?

I bought them from Marvins distributor in Ireland,,,

And it was they who replaced them a year and a half ago,but it transpires now that they had some other company fitting for them the first time and the last time with the replacements,,

Could you clarify who that is?

Did you purchase as a consumer from a company?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe the distributor no longer exists and there was a cleanup operation done to try find any likely warranty claims before they closed.

Marvin Architectural Ltd in Dunlavin,Co Wicklow..

Purchased directly from them for a new build house..

• Advertisement

Yea seems so but they do still exist they just pulled out of Ireland and left the mess behind them..

It was a massive long shot anyway but if the Irish company is gone there's nothing you can do.

Sorry OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Marvin Architectural Ltd in Dunlavin,Co Wicklow..

Purchased directly from them for a new build house..
    Yea seems so but they do still exist they just pulled out of Ireland and left the mess behind them..

You need a solicitor but my take is this....

If it's a manufacturing fault you are probably out of luck.
    If it's a fitting fault it's Marvin Arch ltd you have the contract with as its them you paid and its they are responsible for the fitting. The fact that they subbed it is not your problem. You paid Marvin Arch.

Marvin Arch ltd is still up to date with its accounts on cro.ie so you can still sue them.

I'd say engage a solicitor ASAP before they liquidate that company and you need an independent engineer to assess whether it's a manufacturing or fitting fault.

Thats my train of thought too..

They are still trading and going strong by all accounts they just dont sell Marvin Windows anymore..

Whatever about the product if it was faulty and if the warranty is up...The fact that they were only fitted 18 months ago,if it is a fitting fault should have a case..looks like worth a call to soicitor maybe

Advertisement