Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No help from Argos for broken phone screen

• 06-02-2017 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I bought a new Bush Spira E3X phone from Argos last October. I accidently cracked the screen although it still works perfectly. I emailed Argos clearly explaining that I had damaged it and was prepared to pay for a repair. The reply advised me to leave it in to my nearest Argos store for repair. However the store refused to accept it. I again stated that I was not claiming under warranty but just wanted it fixed. They said no. As this is an Argos exclusive product only available from them I feel that they must be obliged to offer a repair as the product is only five months old. I tried two independent repair services and they said no spares are yet available as the product is only recently launched. It's actually a rebranded Archos Diamond 2 Plus but as it doesn't bear their name they don't want to know. So the moral of the story is Argos will only replace a faulty product under warranty but nothing else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Yes that's perfectly reasonable. They are under no obligation to fix something you broke.

I'm really confused why you have an issue with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Retailers are not obliged to provide repair services. I'd guess more don't than do. There as inherent risk in buying products from niche brands and own-brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There's no requirement to provide a repair service or a chain of supply for parts.

If the Diamond 2 Plus and Diamond plus share the same panel then you can get the part for 50USD. Installed for €90-100 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownep

I'm not asking for a free repair but as sole distributors of this brand I feel they should provide a pathway to the source for this kind of event. There are no independent parts suppliers that I can find, even under the Archos name, except Alibaba with a minimum order of five units. If I broke a tail light glass on my new car I would be really upset if it could not be repaired. What is the difference!!!
    I have spent my whole life selling and repairing electronic products and would never offer anything without knowing that it could be maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

brownep wrote: »
    I'm not asking for a free repair but as sole distributors of this brand I feel they should provide a pathway to the source for this kind of event. There are no independent parts suppliers that I can find, even under the Archos name, except Alibaba with a minimum order of five units. If I broke a tail light glass on my new car I would be really upset if it could not be repaired. What is the difference!!!
    I have spent my whole life selling and repairing electronic products and would never offer anything without knowing that it could be maintained.

This doesn't change the fact that the retailer is not obliged to offer a repair service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Argos are perfectly within their rights here OP.....you broke the screen so it is on you to get it repaired.

The sense of entitlement some people in this country possess is mind boggling at times.

So Iaxaviour, by your logic if I break my tail light Ford can tell me to buy a new car!!! On the primary issue I first emailed Argos clearly explaining that I had cracked the screen. By reply I was told to bring it to my nearest Argos store where they would take it in for repair. After backing it up and re setting it I packaged it and brought it in to them. It was only then that I was rejected, contrary to the advice from their head office. I was also told that as I had damaged it the warranty was now void. This cannot be true. It is still functioning properly but if another fault occurs, unrelated to the cracked glass, I feel that the warranty must still be valid. Argos is owned by Sainsburys who also own the Bush and Alba brands. As such they are replacing the manufacturer and should provide a reasonable back up if only for good customer relations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

http://argos.scene7.com/is/content/Argos/5806931_R_D001pdf

Did you try calling the following which is a UK number?

www.bushregistration.co.uk
    FREEPHONE*
    0800 597 8548

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is a case where good customer care and legal obiligations aren't the same. For customer care, providing a repair service is a good idea. There's no requirement to.

There was actually a period in the 1990s when there were cars with zero after sales service being sold here - Yugos - because the factory had been bombed. They were dirt cheap as a result. Rebadged Chinese electronics are also similarly cheap.

Legal and moral obligations do not always coincide. Many, if not most, big brand electronics are made by Chinese factories and rebranded. That does not mean they are rubbish. The twin of my damaged product is the Archos Diamond 2 Plus, sold at a much higher price but also not manufactured by Archos. These are high spec products and it is only reasonable to expect service outside the warranty. A phone screen is broken every two seconds. If they were sold by Argos there would be a huge mountain somewhere of damaged phones. Also a proper repair, carried out through your retailer, should allow the warranty to continue. This Argos practice seems to relieve them of that legal obligation.

• Advertisement

Op you broke the phone it's your problem. That's the long and the short of it.

Argos sell thousands of products to millions of customers every year and there's no way they can or will support a courier service for physical damage caused by the customer for every single product.

Op you broke the phone it's your problem. That's the long and the short of it.

Argos sell thousands of products to millions of customers every year and there's no way they can or will support a courier service for physical damage caused by the customer for every single product.

Bush is owned by Argos

They could at least point the OP in the direction of who to contact for out of warranty phone repair.

Thats what Customer Service is
    Warranty and limited liability
    In this document, with regard to the use of the name “Bush”, Bush is a brand owned by
    Argos Ltd, 489 – 499 Avebury Boulevard, Milton Keynes, MK9 2NW.

A small crack in the corner of the screen is not the end of the phone's life but should that mean that any subsequent, but not consequent, fault is not covered under the warranty.

Bush is owned by Argos

They could at least point the OP in the direction of who to contact for out of warranty phone repair.

Thats what Customer Service is

It's already been said that legal rights and customer service are different things.

Argos don't own Bush, they are owned by the same parent company that doesn't mean the people working in Argos Ireland customer service know that or know anything about it.

It's ultimately owned by Sainsburys who own many other companies from the same address.

Would you expect a facebook employee to deal with your whatsapp problem? I doubt it.

It's already been said that legal rights and customer service are different things.

Argos don't own Bush, they are owned by the same parent company that doesn't mean the people working in Argos Ireland customer service know that or know anything about it.

It's ultimately owned by Sainsburys who own many other companies from the same address.

Would you expect a facebook employee to deal with your whatsapp problem? I doubt it.

Argos took over the brand Bush and Alba in 2009

I would expect Argos employees to know their own brands and point the OP in the direction for support either in or out of warranty.

It took me 2 min to get the OP the phone number. I would have expected Argos could have done it quicker.

Customer Service is what it says on the Tin.

Honkey Tonk. Thanks. You went straight to the nub of my issue. I initially just asked Argos for a contact with a service or parts source. That is when they advised me to bring it into the store and then dumped me. I never asked for a freebie. If I could source the correct part I can replace it myself as I have done many times for others. My life has been in the electronics service industry.

Honkey Tonk. Thanks. You went straight to the nub of my issue. I initially just asked Argos for a contact with a service or parts source. That is when they advised me to bring it into the store and then dumped me. I never asked for a freebie. If I could source the correct part I can replace it myself as I have done many times for others. My life has been in the electronics service industry.

Do the following an see where it gets you. remember its a UK number
    http://argos.scene7.com/is/content/Argos/5806931_R_D001pdf

Did you try calling the following which is a UK number?

www.bushregistration.co.uk
    FREEPHONE*
    0800 597 8548

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

12.—(1) In a contract for the sale of goods there is an implied warranty that spare parts and an adequate aftersale service will be made available by the seller in such circumstances as are stated in an offer, description or advertisement by the seller on behalf of the manufacturer or on his own behalf and for such period as is so stated or, if no period is so stated, for a reasonable period.

(2) The Minister may, after such consultation with such interested parties as he thinks proper, by order define, in relation to any class of goods described in the order, what shall be a reasonable period for the purpose of subsection (1).

(3) Notwithstanding section 55 (1) of the Act of 1893 (inserted by section 22 of this Act) any term of a contract exempting from all or any of the provisions of this section shall be void.

Now to be fair the bolded section is promlematic as any description I could find in the advertisement clearly stated manufacturer 2 year warrnaty, which no doubt disclaims any reapirs that are not down to a manufactures fault. However I'd just like to make the point that it's not a sense of entitlement to expect that you can pay for a repair or atleast source spare parts for a product for a reasonable time after purchase.

Argos took over the brand Bush and Alba in 2009

I would expect Argos employees to know their own brands and point the OP in the direction for support either in or out of warranty.

It took me 2 min to get the OP the phone number. I would have expected Argos could have done it quicker.

Customer Service is what it says on the Tin.

Who were all bought by someone else in 2016 who were bought by sainsburys since.
    I can use Google too ; )

Again, op asked about his rights. Customer service is not a right.

Again Argos Ireland is not the same as Argos UK and people on a customer service desk in a store generally don't know things like umbrella ownership of their parent company.
    Lord simple fact is hard to get across here.

No one has any rights when they break an item. None. Customer service is not a right.

Who were all bought by someone else in 2016 who were bought by sainsburys since.
    I can use Google too ; )

Again, op asked about his rights. Customer service is not a right.

Again Argos Ireland is not the same as Argos UK and people on a customer service desk in a store generally don't know things like umbrella ownership of their parent company.
    Lord simple fact is hard to get across here.

No one has any rights when they break an item. None. Customer service is not a right.

Customer Service is not a right but it should be consistent with answers
    I emailed Argos clearly explaining that I had damaged it and was prepared to pay for a repair. The reply advised me to leave it in to my nearest Argos store for repair. However the store refused to accept it

Both responses from Argos CS contradict each other.

• Advertisement

Customer Service is not a right but it should be consistent with answers

Both responses from Argos CS contradict each other.

Yes it is inconsistent they should have said no in the first place, the only complaint op has is the original email shouldn't have been sent out.
    The answer to ops question is no he has no rights here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Why don't you just buy the archos screen if it's just a rebranded phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭rock22

12.—(1) In a contract for the sale of goods there is an implied warranty that spare parts and an adequate aftersale service will be made available by the seller in such circumstances as are stated in an offer, description or advertisement by the seller on behalf of the manufacturer or on his own behalf and for such period as is so stated or, if no period is so stated, for a reasonable period.

(2) The Minister may, after such consultation with such interested parties as he thinks proper, by order define, in relation to any class of goods described in the order, what shall be a reasonable period for the purpose of subsection (1).

(3) Notwithstanding section 55 (1) of the Act of 1893 (inserted by section 22 of this Act) any term of a contract exempting from all or any of the provisions of this section shall be void.

Does this not suggest that there is an implied warranty regarding after sales service and supply of parts. ? Would it be worth testing in the Small Claims court?

rock22 wrote: »
    Does this not suggest that there is an implied warranty regarding after sales service and supply of parts. ? Would it be worth testing in the Small Claims court?

There is absolutely! However one has to consider the advert/offer. I looked up similar ads in Argos and to be fair to them they cover themselves (in my opinion) by stating what the warrnaty terms are.

There would be no point in using the small claims procedure though even if you could see an opportunity as Argos are simply going to come back and say it's uneconomical to repair, so we can do it but it'll be €300 (more than the phone) once we factor in repairs, postage etc.

The provision is there to stop retailers/manufacturers selling the 1000A model one year and a year later selling the 1000B that does exactly the same thing but requires a different widget, which they magically stop making for the 1000A. I only reallt mentioned it as it always suprises me in a consumer forum how bloody negative people are about service (notwithstanding actual rights). Albeit that they're right here, there's no right, but it was claerly bad service.

Interestingly (I think :pac:) there have been 'right to repair' laws suggested in the states becuase of the like of Apple's practices. They've not got very far, sadly. But I digress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

OP if you have an email from Head office why not print it off and bring it with the phone to your Local store and see if they will take it then.

The sense of entitlement some people in this country possess is mind boggling at times.

Are you reading the same thread that I'm reading? :confused:

There is no sense of entitlement here whatsoever. The chap is offering to pay Argos to fix it. He's not looking for a freebie or trying to lie and say it was like that when he got it to fool them.

As an aside, I do think that Argos, if they are indeed the sole retailer of the product, should entertain him and provide a fixed-fee repair service (lets face it, if it was damaged via warranty, they'd take it for repair/replace/refund, so I presume they have the channels to send it for repair if need be).

I understand there's no obligation on them to do so, but if you're selling a store exclusive, especially an electronic item, surely it makes sense to do so?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Are you reading the same thread that I'm reading? :confused:

There is no sense of entitlement here whatsoever. The chap is offering to pay Argos to fix it. He's not looking for a freebie or trying to lie and say it was like that when he got it to fool them.

As an aside, I do think that Argos, if they are indeed the sole retailer of the product, should entertain him and provide a fixed-fee repair service (lets face it, if it was damaged via warranty, they'd take it for repair/replace/refund, so I presume they have the channels to send it for repair if need be).

I understand there's no obligation on them to do so, but if you're selling a store exclusive, especially an electronic item, surely it makes sense to do so?

The chap is offering to pay money for argos to fix it..... argos dont fix items, they sell them?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

jonnycivic wrote: »
    The chap is offering to pay money for argos to fix it..... argos dont fix items, they sell them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

jonnycivic wrote: »

They could at least, in the interest of maintaining good customer relations, agree to accept the phone for repair. Especially as the OP is prepared to pay for the repair. It surely is not beyond their capacity to get the phone repaired, when they are the exclusive retailer of the item.

OP, I would go back to your local Argos, with the email and speak to the manager. If he/she refuses, complain to the author of the email.

• Advertisement

Okay I know I'm a contrary so and so, but to be absolutely fair the agreement they may have, for repairs, might not allow physical damage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement