Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No help from Argos for broken phone screen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

TheDoc wrote: »
    Sorry but products shouldn't be sold in an exclusive capacity if there is no avenue for repair or recourse after warranty. Considering the likely warranty is one year, what, everyone after the year is **** out of luck? Nonsense. Like I said, be a very different tune here if this was an Iphone and three were telling people out of warranty "meh sorry can't repair"

There should also be a clear indication to customers before purchase that there is no out of warranty support and no after warranty support for the product. As stated before, people might think twice about buying a phone that doesn't have this support if it was made clear, but we all know why its not being made clear.

Argos offered to send the phone away for repair for a €20 fee. the OP declined. what more do you expect them to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

When I was there?

Forms are under customer service counter which are for paid customer repair. Complete the form with the customer, completing all the required details. There is an initial diagnosis, where you jot down the issue as it appears to you or informed by the customer.

Customer reviews and signs, as part of that form there is a declaration that no remedy will be made to the product without the customers final consent. Inform customer it will be a few days for the item to be received at distribution and sent to the relevant manufacturer, and they will receive a phonecall advising of the issue and cost of repair and if they would like to proceed.

Form sealed up in an envelope where more stuff is filled in on the front, and it's (in this case for a phone) wrapped around the box and placed in a repair cage.

Another form filled out and put into an envelope stringed onto the cage, outlining its a customer repair cage.

Cage dropped down to loading area for delivery team to load on the truck that night or following morning.

Must have done it literally a hundred times for a range of products.

Sounds reasonable. Except who bears the cost of all that?

As pointed out above, the OP could have done exactly this for a £20 fee but refused the offer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Argos offered to send the phone away for repair for a €20 fee. the OP declined. what more do you expect them to do?

No, they didn't. Read what the OP said.

whiterebel wrote: »
    No, they didn't. Read what the OP said.

I went into the Enniskillen Argos branch today and got a different story. There they said that for ?20.00 they would send it to an independent repair service for examination with no guarantee that it could be fixed. Also absolutely no idea of cost.

i think that matches what i said. what have i missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sounds reasonable. Except who bears the cost of all that?

As pointed out above, the OP could have done exactly this for a £20 fee but refused the offer.

I don't think that is what the OP said at all. He said "they said" it would be sent to an independent repair shop for a fee with no guarantee of repair.

That was never an option when I was there, and sounds again as I've been saying maybe some misinformed staff, or they were just advising they will send it to the local repair shop?

When I was processing these repairs, there was no upfront cost to the customer. They would be advised of repair costs after the item was received, and Argos were notified via the manufacturer or designated repair contractor/company.

Again, not to say policy or process hasn't changed but I think it's important to be clear on the issue here.

The OP has a broken phone which he broke, he wishes to have it repaired and acknowledges the cost involved, and appears to be receiving information from Argos staff that there is no avenues for repair.

I'm contesting an item like this should be clearly highlighted to customers as not having after warranty care or outside of warranty repair facilities as it would probably influence customers to make difference choices. I'm also contesting that there is a slick repair service there(well there was) and I'm surprised and wouldn't be sure the OP was getting correct information.

And at a higher level, law or not, retailers should not be selling items like this, without their being an out of warranty or after warranty repair service. IT would be unthinkinable and unheard of within the own product range, nevermind comparing against other products.

• Advertisement

I don't think that is what the OP said at all. He said "they said" it would be sent to an independent repair shop for a fee with no guarantee of repair.

That was never an option when I was there, and sounds again as I've been saying maybe some misinformed staff, or they were just advising they will send it to the local repair shop?

When I was processing these repairs, there was no upfront cost to the customer. They would be advised of repair costs after the item was received, and Argos were notified via the manufacturer or designated repair contractor/company.

Again, not to say policy or process hasn't changed but I think it's important to be clear on the issue here.

The OP has a broken phone which he broke, he wishes to have it repaired and acknowledges the cost involved, and appears to be receiving information from Argos staff that there is no avenues for repair.

I'm contesting an item like this should be clearly highlighted to customers as not having after warranty care or outside of warranty repair facilities as it would probably influence customers to make difference choices. I'm also contesting that there is a slick repair service there(well there was) and I'm surprised and wouldn't be sure the OP was getting correct information.

And at a higher level, law or not, retailers should not be selling items like this, without their being an out of warranty or after warranty repair service. IT would be unthinkinable and unheard of within the own product range, nevermind comparing against other products.

They have been offered an avenue for repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Sorry but products shouldn't be sold in an exclusive capacity if there is no avenue for repair or recourse after warranty. Considering the likely warranty is one year, what, everyone after the year is **** out of luck? Nonsense.

That's all very noble, and Christ I agree with it, but how does it demonstrate that the OP was correct in his belief that they are OBLIGED to do so?! It doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I used to work for Argos also and just popping in that towards the end of being there we no longer sent away phones for repair. We simply replaced/refunded ones within warranty as advised by management.

This was three years ago and more recently a phone I bought from them went faulty after 7 months and they refunded me as they couldn't offer a replacement. It was an expensive refund too - around €650 so if they had a repair service I definitely think they would have used it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

i think that matches what i said. what have i missed?

They didn't offer a repair for £20. They offered to send it for assessment to an independent repair outfit for £20 but couldn't say if it could be fixed or how much.

They didn't offer a repair for £20. They offered to send it for assessment to an independent repair outfit for £20 but couldn't say if it could be fixed or how much.

Have i suddenly started writing my posts in Klingon??

There is no indication that €20 was the cost of the repair. even the OPs post made that clear. you are arguing against something that only exists in your own head.

• Advertisement

Have i suddenly started writing my posts in Klingon??

There is no indication that €20 was the cost of the repair. even the OPs post made that clear. you are arguing against something that only exists in your own head.

"Argos offered to send the phone away for repair for a €20 fee."

Your own words. Maybe you should stick to Klingon.

"Argos offered to send the phone away for repair for a €20 fee."

Your own words. Maybe you should stick to Klingon.

you really need to work on your reading comprehension.

you really need to work on your reading comprehension.

Or maybe you could post correctly, that would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - taking digs at each other is not cool. Knock if off.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Aeternum wrote: »
    I used to work for Argos also and just popping in that towards the end of being there we no longer sent away phones for repair. We simply replaced/refunded ones within warranty as advised by management.

This was three years ago and more recently a phone I bought from them went faulty after 7 months and they refunded me as they couldn't offer a replacement. It was an expensive refund too - around €650 so if they had a repair service I definitely think they would have used it.

Must be changed so then

• Registered Users Posts: 15 minz34

Yeah I had the same problem. The phone slipped from my grasp and hit the deck and the top of the screen got damaged. I brought it in and asked for it to be replaced and ensured "Customer will pay for replacement" was on the docket.
    I got a reply saying they would not repair it. So I asked who would....they had no idea. Very poor customer service.
    As to some user below wondering why is this an issue I have to scratch my head at the stupid comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownep

Yes I am reading it.

Look it might just be my innate cynicism, built up through years working in the insurance industry, but whenever I see some-one stamping their feet and whinging about being refused help/compensation for something they themselves caused I immediately think self entitlement.

The OP caused this damage and it seems relatively minor/inexpensive. Why can't he repair it himself?

Audrey your cynicism built up through years in the insurance industry is correct but should be directed at the industry which prefers to raise premiums and pay the fraudsters. For a period I operated a service for a major insurer, checking Laptops and TVs for possible repairs. In a hugely disproportionate number of cases I found that a major uninsurable electronic failure was quickly followed by an equally catastrophic drink spill or smashed screen which became the subject of a successful claim. This in spite of my report. Take the finger of blame off me. I failed to find an independent source of parts or repair for my Argos 'phone before asking the seller to provide that information. That is all I asked but the reply telling me to bring it into the shop misled me and then to be told that cosmetic damage had voided the total product warranty I find hard to accept.

This is weird. When I worked in Argos there was a clear process for sending items/own brand items of for repair, encuring a charge.

Did you ask to speak to a manager, incase you got maybe a staff member who was misinterpreting the situation?

Whatever about you damaging the phone, and why people seem to be getting edgy with you, I'd fully expect a retailer selling an exclusive product like this, to have avenues there for repair. There are plenty of companies like Harvey Normans, DID and Tesco that sell niche/own brand television for example, but they don't tell you tough **** if you come looking for a repair....

Argos has a repair process that has a cost for the customer covering it. You might need to just speak with a manager if you didn't already. I'm not sure why people are giving you grief over this, it's a perfectly valid and reasonable point.

If Three started just blanking customers looking for iphone repairs, there would be a different tone to the thread I'd imagine. There should be reasonable expectation that the item can be repaired.

What would Argos do here if there was a fault under warranty? Just replace and refund? When I was there the policy pushed on electronics was they were sent off to repair, with some companies demanding all items be sent for repair and not replaced, like Apple, Microsoft and Dyson.

Thanks for your support in the face of all the criticism and misunderstanding I have received over this post. I did of course insist on speaking to the store manager and even showed her the reply from head office (on my damaged 'phone) advising me to leave it with them. I also asked what they do with warranty claims and the reply was that they simply replace the phone so somewhere in an Argos store there is a mountain of faulty 'phones with good screens. Well done lads. That is great customer care. As for all the posters sneering at the low cost 'phone, isn't cost related to one's wealth and not necessarily quality. The 'phone still works well even with the small crack.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I think that is incorrect.

I did read somewhere that parts for electronic items should be available to fix the item and remain available for a reasonable peroid after the item is discontinued.

Not sure whether it was an eu directive or just a recommendation.

But in any case its bad form for a store the size of argos not to have spare parts for an own brand product.

Probably best to avoid their various own brand items - the problem is trying to work out which "brands" are own brands.
    Re Argos own brands I believe that Bush, Hitachi and Alba products are in that category.
    For seventeen years I worked with a major supplier and manufacturer of medical diagnostic equipment and we were obliged by contract to provide spares and service for a minimum of seven years after the last date of production of that item.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

7-10 months between replies OP. Lol, have you been away somewhere??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

tedpan wrote: »
    7-10 months between replies OP. Lol, have you been away somewhere??

Had no phone to reply from :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

brownep wrote: »
    ...As this is an Argos exclusive product only available from them I feel that they must be obliged to offer a repair as the product is only five months old. .....So the moral of the story is Argos will only replace a faulty product under warranty but nothing else.

I think the moral is not to buy their own brand products unless you consider them disposable because they have no process to repair them. Only replace, and the latter only under warranty. Which should be obvious to people these days. We are a very wasteful society.

I don't think most people got the point you were trying to make brownep or read your posts properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

brownep wrote: »
    Re Argos own brands I believe that Bush, Hitachi and Alba products are in that category.
    For seventeen years I worked with a major supplier and manufacturer of medical diagnostic equipment and we were obliged by contract to provide spares and service for a minimum of seven years after the last date of production of that item.

It's incredible that this has to be pointed out but medical diagnostic equipment is not comparable to a bargain basement phone.

Re: the phone and service; you get what you pay for. You pay the budget price, you get the budget experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op

Its been widely stated that you have no come back here.

If the phone were faulty then Argos are one of the best out there for returns in my experience.

It's incredible that this has to be pointed out but medical diagnostic equipment is not comparable to a bargain basement phone.

Re: the phone and service; you get what you pay for. You pay the budget price, you get the budget experience.

I like the way 200 ish is considered budget and/or disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

12.—(1) In a contract for the sale of goods there is an implied warranty that spare parts and an adequate aftersale service will be made available by the seller in such circumstances as are stated in an offer, description or advertisement by the seller on behalf of the manufacturer or on his own behalf and for such period as is so stated or, if no period is so stated, for a reasonable period.

(2) The Minister may, after such consultation with such interested parties as he thinks proper, by order define, in relation to any class of goods described in the order, what shall be a reasonable period for the purpose of subsection (1).

(3) Notwithstanding section 55 (1) of the Act of 1893 (inserted by section 22 of this Act) any term of a contract exempting from all or any of the provisions of this section shall be void.

Now to be fair the bolded section is promlematic as any description I could find in the advertisement clearly stated manufacturer 2 year warrnaty, which no doubt disclaims any reapirs that are not down to a manufactures fault. However I'd just like to make the point that it's not a sense of entitlement to expect that you can pay for a repair or atleast source spare parts for a product for a reasonable time after purchase.

I wonder if this could be tested in small claims court. OP might find it worth the 25 euros to pursue through the courts.

Op

Its been widely stated that you have no come back here.

If the phone were faulty then Argos are one of the best out there for returns in my experience.

Hes not looking for come back. How do people not get that.

ED E wrote: »
    There's no requirement to provide a repair service or a chain of supply for parts...

If this is true, then SCC won't do anything.

It has to be true as a lot of modern products (even expensive ones) are not designed to be repaired.

What interesting is the hack people find around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

beauf wrote: »
    Hes not looking for come back. How do people not get that.

But if a place doesn't have an option of repair then what is the issue.

If it were faulty the manufacturer will have to take it back to repair or replace.

If one breaks it themselves then not much one can do.

Has the op tried the many phone repair shops in the city or even the actual phone repair place in the likes of sandyford Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement