Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No help from Argos for broken phone screen

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not reading the thread is the issue.

You can't get spare parts to repair it. All you end up is paying a inspection fee for them to tell you there are no spare parts to repair it.

I consider any phone disposable if I don't buy insurance on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

beauf wrote: »
    I like the way 200 ish is considered budget and/or disposable.

I didn't say disposable, you did. The OP is still using it, BTW, it wasn't disposed of.

Is it budget? Absolutely, 100%.

Again, you pay budget price, you can't expect a full-service offering on the back end. The OP is not being realistic.

Likewise, you buy your stuff in Argos, you can't expect them to be technical experts on the 50,000 products they sell. If something goes wrong, they have excellent customer service but they're running a business that sells lots of different products in very large volumes. They are not a phone repair shop.

I know I said its disposable. because if you can't repair it. Its disposable. Is there some confusion about that?

200 is disposable. That's the mindset these company wants you to have. They have won game set and match with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I know I said its disposable. because if you can't repair it. Its disposable. Is there some confusion about that?

You quoted me, then said, "I love the way 200ish is considered budget/disposable".
    200 is disposable. That's the mindset these company wants you to have. They have won game set and match with that one.

It's not about a "mindset these company wants you to have", this is basic economics in the modern world.

You can make things for half nothing in China, ship in bulk to Europe and still sell at a low enough price to make them attractive to buyers. Low cost x high volume = profits.

However, when the OP breaks his phone and wants it fixed, those economics go out the window. Instead of having low-paid workers doing large-scale manufacturing, you have high-paid workers doing one-off tasks. High cost x low volume = not viable.

Again, the OP is completely unrealistic. And before you say it (again), I've read his posts properly and I understand the point he's making. He just bought the wrong product in the wrong shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Actually yes, mostly your understanding of what "disposable" means. Disposable means you dispose of it after use, this is not the scenario the op finds himself/herself in, the phone is not readily repairable, but it certainly would not be considered a disposable item unless you accept that it is to be thrown away after you make a call on it. The op does not want to dispose of it, it would seem obvious to everyone else, that he/she wants it repaired.

davo10 wrote: »
    ...the phone is not readily repairable, but it certainly would not be considered a disposable item unless you accept that it is to be thrown away after you make a call on it. ....

"disposable" has a broader meaning than single use. You don't use a disposable lighter to light one cigarette and throw it way.

https://callnerds.com/new-macbooks-a-2200-disposable-computer/
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/xygmyq/new-macbook-pros-mark-the-end-of-upgradeable-apple-computers
    All Apple laptops are now un-upgradeable and are therefore disposable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

"disposable" has a broader meaning than single use. You don't use a disposable lighter to light one cigarette and throw it way.

https://callnerds.com/new-macbooks-a-2200-disposable-computer/
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/xygmyq/new-macbook-pros-mark-the-end-of-upgradeable-apple-computers

You do expect to through the lighter away when it's empty, on the other hand, a zippo would be refillable, not disposable.

davo10 wrote: »
    .....it certainly would not be considered a disposable item unless you accept that it is to be thrown away after you make a call on it....

You clearly implied single use.

Where I gave clear examples where its used in the context of not repairable, and Planned/Forced obsolescence.

You quoted me, then said, "I love the way 200ish is considered budget/disposable".

It's not about a "mindset these company wants you to have", this is basic economics in the modern world.

You can make things for half nothing in China, ship in bulk to Europe and still sell at a low enough price to make them attractive to buyers. Low cost x high volume = profits.

However, when the OP breaks his phone and wants it fixed, those economics go out the window. Instead of having low-paid workers doing large-scale manufacturing, you have high-paid workers doing one-off tasks. High cost x low volume = not viable.

Again, the OP is completely unrealistic. And before you say it (again), I've read his posts properly and I understand the point he's making. He just bought the wrong product in the wrong shop.

Its a mindset.
    when Japanese vehicles with longer lifespans entered the American market in the 1960s and 1970s, American carmakers were forced to respond by building more durable products

People might think its driven by consumers, or economic viability. But its planned by the manufacturers of consumer goods. Same with sell by dates on food.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence#Contrived_durability

I would agree that the OP brought the wrong product if they were expecting a strong after sales, or repair service.

Also the market has conditioned people to desire more expensive phones as normal.

https://www.androidauthority.com/phones-gotten-expensive-762053/
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/20/16338022/iphone-x-google-pixel-2-price-change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 brownep

It's incredible that this has to be pointed out but medical diagnostic equipment is not comparable to a bargain basement phone.

Re: the phone and service; you get what you pay for. You pay the budget price, you get the budget experience.

That was contrasting, not comparing!! €269 is far from budget basement to some people. And I firmly believe that most of the price is in the badge. Practically every phone comes from China. Many are the same product with different badges. One of the biggest Chinese companies ZTE will stick any badge you like on if you order a large quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownep

But if a place doesn't have an option of repair then what is the issue.

If it were faulty the manufacturer will have to take it back to repair or replace.

If one breaks it themselves then not much one can do.

Has the op tried the many phone repair shops in the city or even the actual phone repair place in the likes of sandyford Dublin?

Yes I have tried some repair shops but they all look up their sources and say "not available yet". I have also quoted the Archos Diamond 2 Plus (same phone) but the same answer. Alibaba seller has screens but minimum order of five. Tried them for one but no answer. Maxbi say they have them but reviews of that company are very bad. Anyhow I have long since taken the message from the "better than thou" crowd and given up on this topic. Life is too short. And by the way, the guy in the NI Argos branch only offered to send it to some unnamed repair shop for £20 with absolutely no idea if they could repair it or at what price.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The unnamed repair shop wouldn't have had the screen either. Landfill android devices are effectively unrepairable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 minz34

Yeah I had an issue with a new Bush Spira E3X phone being accidentally dropped and screen broken, when I asked how I can get it repaired I was told it was none of their business. Haven't shopped there since. That's the only way to voice your concern at the lack of after sales support. And don't mind the others on here who are banging on about how the shop doesn't owe you anything, we can only hope they find themselves in the situation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

minz34 wrote: »
    Yeah I had an issue with a new Bush Spira E3X phone being accidentally dropped and screen broken, when I asked how I can get it repaired I was told it was none of their business. Haven't shopped there since. That's the only way to voice your concern at the lack of after sales support. And don't mind the others on here who are banging on about how the shop doesn't owe you anything, we can only hope they find themselves in the situation ;)

But if I buy a brand new car from a dealer this morning and someone keys it this afternoon I wouldn’t bring the car back to the dealer tomorrow to ask him for advice or help or anything.
    So what’s the difference with the mobile phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Bush definitely wouldnt be a brand id ever consider when buying a phone. If I was prone to dropping phones id do research or invest in a phone that had suitable protection - even a 3rd party case/cover.
    Bargain or not - which I would guess would be the reason somebody would choose this phone over a cheap samsung/xiaomi/motorola - time and effort in sourcing replacement parts for a phone that can only be sourced in one place that has no info or facility to repair in the event of damage far outweigh paying just that little bit extra for some piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Has the OP tried taking it to a phone repair shop ??

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

knipex wrote: »
    Has the OP tried taking it to a phone repair shop ??

They stated they had gone to two in the OP.

Ancient thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement