Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with LG Smart TV Argos

Options
  • 06-02-2017 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Bought a smart TV in Argos in March last year. Working great but channels used to freeze on us back in September and wouldn't allow to change channel unless turned off TV. Happened once or twice a week maybe. Thought at time that it may be down to UPC box but have changed to horizon box since Xmas and issue has returned over the weekend. Not a massive issue but wondering do I contact Argos or LG on. Didn't buy the additional guarantee they had on offer at time of purchase but think they are covered by 1 yr guarantee from reading online.

Should I expect a replacement of same or similar TV from Argos or where do I stand with this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Take it back to Argos, they will either send it for repair or replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

Take it back to Argos, they will either send it for repair or replace it.

Will I get a a replacement whilst its being repaired. Not having TV for a week is putting me off going to bother of getting it looked at but afraid it gets worse further down the line and I have no guarantee then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

mjp wrote: »
    Will I get a a replacement whilst its being repaired. Not having TV for a week is putting me off going to bother of getting it looked at but afraid it gets worse further down the line and I have no guarantee then

Not at all. But, it's your call. I'd get it done while in warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there a firmware update you can do? Most have firmware updates you can download from manufacturers website and instal via usb stick, might resolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They've a reasonable time to inspect but it should not cuase you significant inconvienance. If it's going to take more than a week or so I'd explain you're not happy with that and speak to the store manager.

You'll find something to do for a few days OP! You can watch UPC on your phone IIRC.

• Advertisement

They've a reasonable time to inspect but it should not cuase you significant inconvienance. If it's going to take more than a week or so I'd explain you're not happy with that and speak to the store manager.

You'll find something to do for a few days OP! You can watch UPC on your phone IIRC.

A week is unrealistic.
    It takes at least a day for the courier to collect. Then the following day for it to get to the repair centre, and back.
    Doing that in both directions is 4 days. That leaves one working day in your week? There will be a queue at the repair centre, it won't be first in line. Even if it's seen within 2 days it could need a part ordered in that takes 2 days to arrive.

The word reasonable is used in the law rather than a timeframe because it has to go on a case by case basis.
    If you went to the small claims court complaining you gave them a week to repair your TV the case would be thrown out!

You might get lucky and they look at it, deem it irreparable and give you a brand new one within a few days-you won't mind not having it then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Make sure first that the TV's firmware is up to date. We have an LG Smart TV and it needs to be updated reasonable regularly.

Also, eliminate the issue with Virgin/UPC also. I wouldn't rule them out just yet.

A week is unrealistic.
    It takes at least a day for the courier to collect. Then another day for the courier to return it. Doing that in both directions is 4 days. That leaves one working day in your week? There will be a queue at the repair centre, it won't be first in line. Even if it's seen within 2 days it could need a part ordered in that takes 2 days to arrive.

The word reasonable is used in the law rather than a timeframe because it has to go on a case by case basis.
    If you went to the small claims court complaining you gave them a week to repair your TV the case would be thrown out!

You might get lucky and they look at it, deem it irreparable and give you a brand new one within a few days-you won't mind not having it then!!

Not all issues need to go back to a repair centre to establish there's a fault. If the process is going to take so much time that it's going to inconvieninace the buyer then they need to make other arrnagements. Such as a refurb system that most large electorics manufactures employ.

If the item is not replaced or repaired in a reasonable time and without significant inconvienance, given the nature of the goods then they are entitled to redress. The redress can include purchasing another similar item and seeking a full or partial refund. See SI 11/2003.

I'm well aware of your position on this. You're wrong. I'm not saying that from the position of your timescales but your simplistic approach to, it takes X days to do Y and therefore reasonable is Z. It simply does not work that way.

What is at issue is does it cuase significant inconvienance. As I'm not looking to get a significant slap from L1011 I'm not going to engage in a back and forth with you on this. The only point I'm willing to engage on is what in your view is the time frame for significant inconvienace in relation to a TV. Your opinion on that will be as valid as anyone elses.

Not all issues need to go back to a repair centre to establish there's a fault. If the process is going to take so much time that it's going to inconvieninace the buyer then they need to make other arrnagements. Such as a refurb system that most large electorics manufactures employ.

If the item is not replaced or repaired in a reasonable time and without significant inconvienance, given the nature of the goods then they are entitled to redress. The redress can include purchasing another similar item and seeking a full or partial refund. See SI 11/2003.

I'm well aware of your position on this. You're wrong. I'm not saying that from the position of your timescales but your simplistic approach to, it takes X days to do Y and therefore reasonable is Z. It simply does not work that way.

What is at issue is does it cuase significant inconvienance. As I'm not looking to get a significant slap from L1011 I'm not going to engage in a back and forth with you on this. The only point I'm willing to engage on is what in your view is the time frame for significant inconvienace in relation to a TV. Your opinion on that will be as valid as anyone elses.

You're right, if the theres someone on site that can determine and fix a fault it doesn't need to be sent off.
    As there won't be anyone in an Argos store qualified to determine what the problem is then yes it will need to be checked if there is a fault that can be repaired or if it would be better off replaced.

Significant inconvenience vs the retailers right to ensure no customer damage.

As I said op you could be lucky and they might decide not to go to the hassle, I really hope do.

I promised I wouldn't enage on the other points so I won't but you didnt answer the question posed, which is fair enough but just in case I ask it again:

How long is it before it's significantly inconvienant in your view? (For a TV)

I'm not going to be smart or try and dispute it, I'm genuinely interested as you seem very pro-retailer and I pro-consumer so I genuinely think it would be somewhere in the middle.

• Advertisement

I promised I wouldn't enage on the other points so I won't but you didnt answer the question posed, which is fair enough but just in case I ask it again:

How long is it before it's significantly inconvienant in your view? (For a TV)

I'm not going to be smart or try and dispute it, I'm genuinely interested as you seem very pro-retailer and I pro-consumer so I genuinely think it would be somewhere in the middle.

You're not pro consumer. If you were you wouldn't be quoting ridiculous points that are at best unhelpful and at worst damaging.

You see it as a battle, it's not, it's about giving people the advice they need to make sure when this op goes to Argos with his TV he doesn't make a stupid demand and annoy the manager because being nice to people get you a lot further than being smart and pushing and making demands.

I'm not engaging with you any further on this or any other thread but I suggest you learn what reasonable means within the law.

OP for your reference:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2003/si/11/made/en/print

(5) Where the remedy of repair or replacement is provided the repair or replacement shall be completed within a reasonable time and without any significant inconvenience to the consumer, taking account of the nature of the goods and the purpose for which the consumer required them.

I've had to bring this to the attention of retailers before and I've usually found them most helpful when it's pointed out. You shouldn't be without the TV for too long at all, and you should do it in 'warranty' to avoid another dimention to all of this.

EDIT: This should be done, of course, politely you'll catch more flies with honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

Just out of Argos and couldn't be more helpful. Replacing TV with most similar product available as that model no longer being produced. She reserved other TV in another store nearby and I just have to bring back TV and show receipt and no questions asked.

Absolutely fantastic to hear OP and thanks for updating the thread, they deserve a call out when they're supplying that level of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I love it when somebody asks a question on Boards and the first reply suffices.

Advertisement