Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency room hospital

Options
  • 06-02-2017 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi everyone. Ok so I don't know much about hospitals and I'm new in my area. Is there an emergency room in Dundalk hospital? I'm a first time mum and was wondering where to take my one year old if he had a bad fall for example (touch wood!) Our Lady of Loudes in Drogheda or Dundalk? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hi everyone. Ok so I don't know much about hospitals and I'm new in my area. Is there an emergency room in Dundalk hospital? I'm a first time mum and was wondering where to take my one year old if he had a bad fall for example (touch wood!) Our Lady of Loudes in Drogheda or Dundalk? Thanks in advance.

Drogheda all the way I'm afraid. The A&E in Dundalk was closed some years back and they only have a minor injuries unit that runs during the day. Even with that, they don't treat anyone under the age of 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

This could be a long thread...................

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

This could be a long thread...................

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 annaindundalk

Oh, why do you say so? What am I missing...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Oh, why do you say so? What am I missing...lol

It's a long running Dundalk thing since the closure of A&E in Dundalk that it should be reopened etc etc etc..... A contentious topic so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 annaindundalk

Yeah sorry. That makes sense that it should be open. As I said I'm new to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's a huge disgrace that it's not open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Yes - we should have the same crappy hospital services everywhere, instead of modern centres of excellence strategically placed in a country with half the population of Chicago

Yes - we should have the same crappy hospital services everywhere, instead of modern centres of excellence strategically placed in a country with half the population of Chicago

and longer waiting times too.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You can't consider the Lourdes a centre of excellence though.

• Advertisement

You can't consider the Lourdes a centre of excellence though.
    I laughed when I read that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I laughed when I read that.

Yes, it would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

yep had first hand experience of both on friday.... Dundalk was a better experience.. there were people in A&E in drogheda 12 hours before being seen.. in my case 7 hours. the chairs were extremely uncomfortable.. only coin based food machines available. when i did get in.. people on trollies.. was told by the nurses that place was extremely busy. most beds in orthopaedic ae unit were full and they had to move people to trolleys so that others could be seen. i was admitted to ward at 5am but i suspect that was only coz of vhi. don't remember much after that because of painkillers.... the staff were doing their best but given amount of ppl and staff.. only so much can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

oh and having past experience with my children... the paediatrics unit in A&E was a better experience. they have separate waiting area and ward. the waiting time much quicker and staff were brilliant.. on friday most the kids i saw were in and out in under a few hours... in my experience with bad croup.. we were in unit being treated in under 30 mins from arrival and let go a few hours later when they were happy with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

There are 215 hospitals in Chicago. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

There are 215 hospitals in Chicago. :confused:

Source?

Wikipedia tells me there are 49.

Advertisement