Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up bank account

• 06-02-2017 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Hope you can help me. I have recently moved to a new area and want to open a bank account with a bank in the area.i am currently with Ulster bank but as they are not in my new location so I want to close my Ulster bank account and open an account with another bank which is in new location. I am renting a room in a house with others but the utility bills are not in my name. Bank want proof of address by showing a utility bill etc... All my post goes to my parents house. Does anyone know what I can do here?

Thanks
    P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Why change at all?

Personal service at banks is gone to zero or below.

You have account with UB and have a card to withdraw cash in other banks. Whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dane29

Yeah but I'm old school. I prefer to meet face to face especially banking. Just me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Can you get the Revenue to issue a statement of taxes to your new address? This is sometimes accepted as proof of address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Open the account using your parent's address and a current bank statement or other acceptable correspondence as proof of address.

Once the new bank account is set up you can change address to your rental address. You might even be able to do this online once online banking is set up.

You need proof of address to change your address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Your address can be changed via online banking, no proof of your new address needed. I did it when I moved.

Proof is needed when opening an account to verify your identity and comply witb money laundering legislation. Once your account is open you can change your address without having to show evidence of your new address.

Ok, thanks, the change of address AML documentation policy must vary from bank-to-bank.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If all your post is going to your parents house, just open it at that address. I know plenty of people who are renting and have all their post sent to their family home. Particularly if they're moving every 12 months or so.

Or else contact whatever suppliers etc are sending the post to your parents and ask them to send it to your new address, then once one arrives use it as the proof of address.

Advertisement