Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recessed light keeps blowing

Options
  • 06-02-2017 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭

I've been renting in a house for a few years and I've been having the same issue with a light bulb in the kitchen which I'd just like to be finally resolved.

It's a recessed light that keeps blowing. I'd say 3-4 days after it's replaced it just stops working. Every other light lasts for a year or more so it's a puzzle as to why it would stop working.

I thought it might have been water getting in to the casing, but there's no leaks/pipework nearby, and any adjacent bulbs seem to be fine.

I've asked the landlord to look at it a number of times and he just replaces the bulb, and I don't expect him to go and rewire the ceiling just for a single bulb!

Any ideas what the problem might be, and is there an easy fix? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

VonLuck wrote: »
    I've been renting in a house for a few years and I've been having the same issue with a light bulb in the kitchen which I'd just like to be finally resolved.

It's a recessed light that keeps blowing. I'd say 3-4 days after it's replaced it just stops working. Every other light lasts for a year or more so it's a puzzle as to why it would stop working.

I thought it might have been water getting in to the casing, but there's no leaks/pipework nearby, and any adjacent bulbs seem to be fine.

I've asked the landlord to look at it a number of times and he just replaces the bulb, and I don't expect him to go and rewire the ceiling just for a single bulb!

Any ideas what the problem might be, and is there an easy fix? Thanks.

Do you know what type of bulb is used in the light? Is there a transformer connected to it and if so what type?
    The best solution would probably be to use LED bulbs instead of the cheap halogen ones if they are compatible with your existing fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭VonLuck

aido79 wrote: »
    Do you know what type of bulb is used in the light? Is there a transformer connected to it and if so what type?
    The best solution would probably be to use LED bulbs instead of the cheap halogen ones if they are compatible with your existing fitting.

I think it's just a standard bulb like this: http://recessedlighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/halogen_quartz.jpg

As for a transformer, I have no idea. Not exactly familiar with any form of electrics so you'd have to help me out on that one!

As for changing to LED, how would that help? I mean if the standard bulb is blowing in a couple of days when all the others are fine, surely it's a problem with the fitting itself and switching to another type of bulb is unlikely to resolve it, or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

I'd halogens that blew every few months. Then the lights arced. Bright flashes of blue light on the ceiling. Lucky I was there. I replaced the housing after discovering the builder had wired them just using electrical tape. I thought na replace the whole lot fresh. The new LEDs are in 4 years and never blow. Instead of 50 watts that were against insulation I've now got 3 watt bulbs. They are white light. I preferred the yellow light from before but wouldn't go back. I'm an electrical engineer and I've no idea why one bulb would go. When a switch is turned off electrical voltages can spike but on the bulb I'd doubt that'd have any effect.

Advertisement