Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moterbike licence and insurance

• 06-02-2017 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I'm just wondering what cc bike I can get I am 18 and I am thinking about getting a bike so will be doing my theory and ibt train course. Also any suggestions on cheap insurance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Have a look at any of the default 600 beginner bikes.

Such as the Bandit, Fazer, SV650 or Hornet. All reasonably insurance friendly (maybe not for an 18yo though so check with Liberty first to get an idea of how much you'd be looking at, might be quite steep) and very well suited to do the test on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

Got myself a curvy SV650S when i started out last year and its treated me very well!

Principal insurance came in with the cheapest quote by miles for me, so may be worth ringing them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

principal waited until the day I was 21 to quote me on my pointy sv650s, just would not quote me at all on it before the morning of my birthday. I'd say you will have to just ring them and ask what exactly they want you to be riding at 18 and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thesheepman

And if I wanted to get a 600cc would it be possible to put the restriction kit on it to make it basically a 125cc just so I won't have to go by a new bike after a year or 2

you don't have to do anything with 125cc, it's based on the power output. you can get a restrictor for a 600cc bike but you may not get insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 thesheepman

I was thinking about getting a Kawasaki ninja 250 cc it's 25kw and says learner legal so would that mean I wouldn't have to put a restrictor on the bike oven though it's over a 125 cc. Thanks for all the replies

you wouldn't be able to use a ninja 250 for the full test but you could ride it on the A2 license

for the test it has to have a displacement greater than 395cc and a power output of no more than 35kw and can't be restricted to less than half of the original power.

So if you got a ninja 250 you would have to rent a bigger bike for your full test.

ring principal and tell them you have the A2 learner permit (even if you don't yet) and want to get a few quotes for different bikes.

ask them about the ninja 250, honda super four, gn 125, sv650, bandit 600, and anything else people suggest to you.

super four is probably your best bet.... 400cc, and comes with 37kw from factory so it just needs a throttle stop restrictor, should be cheap insurance

there's no such thing as something being just "learner legal" anymore really you need to look for A2 license legal or 35kw bikes. A learner on the A license can ride anything, but you'll be on the A2 license.

you should do your A2 IBT and the instructor will explain absolutely everything to you about what bikes you can and can not ride.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭M94

you wouldn't be able to use a ninja 250 for the full test but you could ride it on the A2 license

for the test it has to have a displacement greater than 395cc and a power output of no more than 35kw and can't be restricted to less than half of the original power.

So if you got a ninja 250 you would have to rent a bigger bike for your full test.

ring principal and tell them you have the A2 learner permit (even if you don't yet) and want to get a few quotes for different bikes.

ask them about the ninja 250, honda super four, gn 125, sv650, bandit 600, and anything else people suggest to you.

super four is probably your best bet.... 400cc, and comes with 37kw from factory so it just needs a throttle stop restrictor, should be cheap insurance

there's no such thing as something being just "learner legal" anymore really you need to look for A2 license legal or 35kw bikes. A learner on the A license can ride anything, but you'll be on the A2 license.

you should do your A2 IBT and the instructor will explain absolutely everything to you about what bikes you can and can not ride.

Should try liberty as well, got my insurance from them for 1000 cheaper than the rest of them. Bike is valued at 6000 and on learners permit with 0 experience, 300cc. Funny though as their car insurance quote for me is through the roof.

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

Hi I'm just wondering what cc bike I can get I am 18 and I am thinking about getting a bike so will be doing my theory and ibt train course. Also any suggestions on cheap insurance

ring principal, their pretty good with their prices. its who I'm with. but I'm not 18 though. but Id advise you not to go high on the cc's. they see lads like yourself a liability so start off on as small as you can till you get more exp an older. lots of time to get a bike bike.

Advertisement