Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good VM software for Linux Mint

• 06-02-2017 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Been wanting to mess around with Linux Mint for a while now, instead of setting up a partition I was thinking of going virtual (I have 16 GB RAM, Windows 10)

So I was thinking VM Ware ? I use it at work and like it ... but just thought it run it by you guys here if you have a better suggestion .

Thanks !

JB/CB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I use VirtualBox myself. I prefer it over VMWare Player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Hi all,

Been wanting to mess around with Linux Mint for a while now, instead of setting up a partition I was thinking of going virtual (I have 16 GB RAM, Windows 10)

So I was thinking VM Ware ? I use it at work and like it ... but just thought it run it by you guys here if you have a better suggestion .

Thanks !

JB/CB

Virtualbox. If you are running test VMs on your local PC it is all you need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yeah, VirtualBox has been all I've ever needed really. Open source, free, works just fine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Good stuff guys !

Virtual Box it is then!

Thanks

• Advertisement

Very stramge, Virtual Box wants an ISO image file yet all I can find is KDI files for linux mint ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Very stramge, Virtual Box wants an ISO image file yet all I can find is KDI files for linux mint ?

No idea what a KDI file is, but ISOs are available

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Make you DE choice and then your mirror choice to get the ISO.

OK as soon as I posted I found an ISO ... hmmm its running a bit clunky to be honest, Im surprises, I assigned 8GB of RAM , and dynamic disk space - maybe I should assign fixed disk space - supposed to be faster.

Still with 8GB of RAM I expected it to be faster.

At work I use Windows in VMs and have 2-4GB RAM and they perform well..

Ill twiddle some things ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

OK as soon as I posted I found an ISO ... hmmm its running a bit clunky to be honest, Im surprises, I assigned 8GB of RAM , and dynamic disk space - maybe I should assign fixed disk space - supposed to be faster.

Still with 8GB of RAM I expected it to be faster.

At work I use Windows in VMs and have 2-4GB RAM and they perform well..

Ill twiddle some things ..

How many CPUs did you assign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

It is also recommended that you install the VirtualBox Guest Additions which will allow you use full-screen mode, drag and drop files between the guest OS and the host OS and a few other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭Worztron

VirtualBox or AQEMU.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Jayball09

Hey folks

Sorry if a little off topic, just a heads up.

I was playing around with this yesterday and it seems the linux mint 18 cinnamon ISO from the Heanet servers might have gotten corrupted as I was having issues with it but after re downloading the image from the "Worldwide" location it worked fine.

And yeh, Virtualbox all the way!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Jayball09 wrote: »
    Hey folks

Sorry if a little off topic, just a heads up.

I was playing around with this yesterday and it seems the linux mint 18 cinnamon ISO from the Heanet servers might have gotten corrupted as I was having issues with it but after re downloading the image from the "Worldwide" location it worked fine.

And yeh, Virtualbox all the way!

You can verify the download against the checksum file to make sure it's not corrupted: https://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/18.1/

Advertisement