Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Frost countrywide + Occasional Snow Showers in the East from Thursday 9th Feb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

What the oul 850s will look like at 6pm:

UXZMawz.png

Place really drying up here in that easterly. Even seen some dust blowing up from the road while cycling back from work. Current RH values on the met eireann site are as low as 57% at Malin Hd.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Celebrate snowless winters guy's and pray for long hot summer days.

That's our climate
    Dubs who really like snow have it on their doorstep at little cost for at least half the winter :)

As much as I like to see a bit of snow, I think if you have to go searching for it then it isn't worth searching for. There is no snow like home snow.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Oasis1974 wrote: »

Cant we have both snow and long hot summer days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Actually we can't - being a maritime nation.

#metrologicalfacts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

Just came across this website http://uksnowmap.com/ . Tends to suggest no one over there is getting a whole lotta snow. Will be very, very surprised if anyone in populated areas gets any appreciable amount of snow tomorrow or Sunday but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Latest BBC news is talking about modest cover on low ground inland in England from those
    They've a big shower train in East Leinster tomorrow evening,a lot of which is now rain on their graphics representing probably that pesky polish/Germany warm slot that Su Campu mentioned
    So looking dodgy below 200 metres if that does come into play
    The showers do drift over as far as Clare and Galway on the graphics

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    As much as I like to see a bit of snow, I think if you have to go searching for it then it isn't worth searching for. There is no snow like home snow.

The mountains Paddy1 are only about 5 miles from me
    No searching required
    It's a resource ,a beautiful resource

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sky half clear and sunny here in West Clare, temperature 4.1c and dewpoint -1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

No searching required

I'll be onto you tomorrow for the best spots if we get any snow Tonight! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That's our climate
    Dubs who really like snow have it on their doorstep at little cost for at least half the winter :)

I don't know if you believe in climate change, or whether that is even the reason if you do, but Gonzo is right; snow was more frequent when we were growing up. For a lot of people in Ireland, they have only seen meagre amounts of snow for the last seven years at lower levels.

However you are right blackbriar, if you really love snow you will travel to it. Those living in Dublin, who have their own transport, have little excuse not to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Wouldn't be getting to jealous of the snow here in lowland East England. We've had some large flakes and even a 5 minute heavy shower of smaller flakes but the land remains green as ever and it only happens now and then. Probably only 40 minutes if you add all the afternoons flurries up.

I'll be onto you tomorrow for the best spots if we get any snow Tonight! :)

Realistically EastcoastRyan (this is getting funny:D) it's Sunday morning that you'll find it and with a bit of luck you mightn't have to go much further than the big sugarloaf
    If you're feeling adventurous,head down to the Glenmalure lodge and stick drumgough in the satnav
    That will take you over the hill on the public road circa 1200ft ASL towards Aughavanagh
    You will need 4WD I should imagine as that's Quite close to one of the long ascents to Lug and if the precipitation on the BBC map happens it will have a lot of hard packed snow on the road

I don't know if you believe in climate change, or whether that is even the reason if you do, but Gonzo is right; snow was more frequent when we were growing up. For a lot of people in Ireland, they have only seen meagre amounts of snow for the last seven years at lower levels.

I think Science pardon the pun is nowhere near the tip of the iceberg as regards climate change and it's a subject that's been cleverly hijacked by those with other agendas ,not least of which are governments wanting to shake down people for more taxes

That said clearly something is varying our weather
    I'm old enough to have seen the 70's and the first 6 of those were like the 90's and now ,hard to get snow
    Maybe in a million years man will have learned enough for a preliminary understanding

No searching required

Oh yeah, you live near that 'Lug' place.

No mountains around here but if it is snowing here, there is a good chance is it snowing over a good part of low lying Ireland and not just on a mountain top.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No mountains around here but if it is snowing here, there is a good chance is it snowing over a good part of low lying Ireland and not just on a mountain top.

Presume it is Lugnaquilla.
    Can see it from here om Kilkenny when I go for a short walk up the hills and on a clear day I can see if there is snow on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think Science pardon the pun is nowhere near the tip of the iceberg as regards climate change and it's a subject that's been cleverly hijacked by those with other agendas ,not least of which are governments wanting to shake down people for more taxes

That said clearly something is varying our weather
    I'm old enough to have seen the 70's and the first 6 of those were like the 90's and now ,hard to get snow
    Maybe in a million years man will have learned enough for a preliminary understanding

I don't know enough about it to give a view, but i can see how there could be different agendas at play; governments want more taxes, scientists want their state sponsored grants, on the other side big business play down the effects of man made climate change so they can tap new exploration points.

Anyway still snowing lightly, but no sign of it accumulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I recorded some very brief snowfalls around midday and early afternoon. By brief, I really do mean brief like less than 0.1 of a centimetre :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Oasis1974 wrote: »

I hope for a northerly wind all summer just out of spite. ;)

Hopefully we will a bit of snow over the weekend so I can take a walk in it before the months of horrible summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

The remants of Winter Storm Niko, and ice in the Gulf of St Lawrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Every climate change discussion requires posting of the fantastic XKCD 'comic' https://xkcd.com/1732/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Anyone have any snow pics from today in Ireland?
    Been a belter of a drying day here today.
    Bit cold though.

Well Lug is about a half hours drive
    Many hours enjoyed on the local mountain though about 5 miles away
    Attached is the lane up to it with Croghan in front on one of it's snowier times
    No snow down at sea level but loads there when this photo was took on one of the many winter visits
    For the life of me I will never understand why a snow lover would not go up there on half the days in winter it's like that
    It's beautiful to be honest and fun

iFlSdLV.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I usually head up the mountains for a fix if the snowline is at or below about 400m as it's only about a 10 minute drive to 400m from here. Any higher and it becomes more of a mission.

I was up there today trying to catch a few orographic lift flakes (desperate times lol). There were a few salt grains falling for about 5 minutes. If it was real salt it wouldn't even be enough for a bag of chips :pac:

Just a very cold day here.
    Temperature reached 2.4C very briefly as the high of the day.
    Dew point below freezing all day, currently -1.6C with an air temperature of 1.0C

The area marked for main activity tomorrow by Met Eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I suppose if you like snow in winter move to Greece or Italy. Is the lesson from this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Looking at the evenings models, all at least agree on precipitation tomorrow. Euro 04 still says rain, hirlam still says snow and gfs seems a bit more open to the idea of snow. Youd never know......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

0.4C in a light E'ly here in Tralee. Dp -2.2C, all that is missing is the precipitation!

ateEH1V.png

gUwKNie.png

9QJ7F0r.gif

8UFTyjd.png

I don't know enough about it to give a view, but i can see how there could be different agendas at play; governments want more taxes, scientists want their state sponsored grants, on the other side big business play down the effects of man made climate change so they can tap new exploration points.

Anyway still snowing lightly, but no sign of it accumulating.

Whether which way, there is a clear trend on the met eireann available stats for the winter months. One significant feature is that we are losing mean wind speeds for the season at the rate of knots, which anecdotally, yet no less curiously, seems to correlate a little with snowfall frequency.

New Moon

• Advertisement

And here is the difference in mean Atlantic/European 850 hPa temps over the last 10 years (for the winter season) as differentiated from the 1961-90 average. Quite telling really and comes as no real surprise.

408938.png

I have been reading lately that the 'AMO', which is currently in its warm phase, is set to do a turnaround sometime around 2020, which may help cool temps in the northern hemisphere in the years thereafter. This remains to be seen in the actual though.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement