Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Frost countrywide + Occasional Snow Showers in the East from Thursday 9th Feb

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    And here is the difference in mean Atlantic/European 850 hPa temps over the last 10 years (for the winter season) as differentiated from the 1961-90 average. Quite telling really and comes as no real surprise.

408938.png

I have been reading lately that the 'AMO', which is currently in its warm phase, is set to do a turnaround sometime around 2020, which may help cool temps in the northern hemisphere in the years thereafter. This remains to be seen in the actual though.

was it this article?

http://theconversation.com/the-atlantic-is-entering-a-cool-phase-that-will-change-the-worlds-weather-42497

i found this bit interesting:
    The ocean went through a warm period in the 1930s/1940s and again in the 1990s/2000s. However the 1970s/1980s were much cooler and there are hints of a transition to a relatively cold period at the moment.

The last sentence in particular.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some light graupel falling now in Dublin 16. 3.7c DP -1.1c

Looks like wind shift, north of east now, more favorable for showers for the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Its warmer now than it was all afternoon. This is not good! Its gone up to 2.8c, its been no more than 2.2 today, usually less (D16 260m)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Some light graupel falling now in Dublin 16. 3.7c DP -1.1c

Looks like wind shift, north of east now, more favorable for showers for the Dublin area.

Same as here in D14.

• Advertisement

Lots of precipitation on the radar for the last couple of hours, but it's just light and patchy snow. So as has been said ye are not missing out on anything over there.
    It would be nice to see some heavier snow even if only for 10 minutes

Snizzle a few moments ago, north Wicklow, 200m asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Spitting drops of rain with the odd grain of graupel here. Feels quite mild outside even though it's only 3 or 4 degrees, must be due to the low humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nothing around N. Louth. It's like a summers evening. Golf on Sun :D

Trinh wrote: »
    Been there done that, but only because over there:
    -buildings are properly insulated, most made of thick concrete
    -there is central heating in most buildings, and is on 24/7 in the winter

T.
    Its not just that. Its a different kind of cold. No wind and low levels of damp. +2 here with wind feels more like -15 over there.

Small bit of sleet just now in Cherrywood, Dublin 18. Its not freezing so nothing is sticking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dry outside, doesn't even feel that cold, it's often been colder and more wintry during 'normal' weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Time to start clutching at straws
    Look at this beast of a streamer as it starts to grow.
    The tip on that arrow points at my back garden...

It;s on baby

408941.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Love the way Siobhain says frowst in the forecast

She said showers "turning increasingly wintry tomorrow evening and night"

Look at no one else is going to say it "YIPEEEEEEEE"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I got snow in Denmark while I was there. Great
    Then it delayed my flight by over an hour 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Prepare for bitter dissapointment Nabber ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

I drove through a strong little flurry coming out home from Arklow a little while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Nabber wrote: »
    Time to start clutching at straws
    Look at this beast of a streamer as it starts to grow.
    The tip on that arrow points at my back garden...

It;s on baby

408941.png

I've just seen that too! And it's got a lot bigger and more intense since then.....Still nothing amazing but it's heading for a decent population. And according to Netweather radar, it's falling as snow over the sea....if true, it bodes well for it if/when it makes landfall.

Nabber, your signature says you live in Dublin City....if so, you may well be disappointed as it's currently heading for the northern parts of county Dublin, as your graphic depicts.

highdef wrote: »
    I've just seen that too! And it's got a lot bigger and more intense since then.....Still nothing amazing but it's heading for a decent population. And according to Netweather radar, it's falling as snow over the sea....if true, it bodes well for it if/when it makes landfall.

Nabber, your signature says you live in Dublin City....if so, you may well be disappointed as it's currently heading for the northern parts of county Dublin, as your graphic depicts.

Pretty sure Nabber's post was tongue-in-cheek, but still nice to see something more than a couple of pixels brewing on radar!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the way this cold spell is going not only are we not gonna see a dusting, we're not even gonna see frost. You couldn't make this up how bad it's been. The dp's will rise tomorrow and most likely scenario in low ground areas is rain/sleet with maybe a few flakes mixed in any heavy bursts.

afaik nothing has settled in the UK either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

My home is where the snow falls :)
    Part of straw clucthing is that a wind shift changes the streamers trajectory, so your theory holds no water against my Scientific observations :D

Look at this steam train as she grows. There is easily 2 or 3 mm of snow in there.
    408959.png

• Advertisement

Dublin and Cork airports TAF forecasting light rain tomorrow, no mention of sleet or snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2304 update from met eireann

A bright, crisp and frosty start across much of the country on Saturday with sunny spells, but mostly cloudy conditions persisting near the east coast. The cloud will gradually extend westward through the afternoon and evening with scattered showers pushing in across east Leinster and east Munster, potentially falling as sleet or snow, especially about higher ground. Highest temperatures just 4 to 6 degrees but feeling cold and raw in strengthening north to northeast winds.

Gonzo wrote: »
    the way this cold spell is going not only are we not gonna see a dusting, we're not even gonna see frost. You couldn't make this up how bad it's been. The dp's will rise tomorrow and most likely scenario in low ground areas is rain/sleet with maybe a few flakes mixed in any heavy bursts.

afaik nothing has settled in the UK either.

That's not true. there is a covering on my car and on the grass- i'm taking it as a dusting:D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Nabber wrote: »
    My home is where the snow falls :)
    Part of straw clucthing is that a wind shift changes the streamers trajectory, so your theory holds no water against my Scientific observations :D

Look at this steam train as she grows. There is easily 2 or 3 mm of snow in there.
    408959.png

Is that streamer still alive

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

Nope.

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

Not really, it's on life support right now. Close to flatlining. There is a flicker of hope in it's wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Would it not be easier and more hassle free if we just geographically engineered the weather so it snowed heavy for 6 months of the year in all parts of Ireland? Both low and high altitude and inland and coastal. I think everybody would be happier then.

These showers are mocking us now :pac:

n4N8B7l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Indeed they are......does not bode well for tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Indeed they are......does not bode well for tomorrow!

When's the last time you held a proper snow ball on low ground? Or when you could stand in snow which would reach your ankle?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement