Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Frost countrywide + Occasional Snow Showers in the East from Thursday 9th Feb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

km79 wrote: »
    Neighbour is out cutting the lawn !

Grass got to be done :)

Logged into Facebook this morning and got a "memory" from 3 years ago today of it snowing in Sandyford.

If memory serves it was 'heavy' by Irish standards for about an hour then all melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Rain turned to heavy wet snow again In Hollywood,co.Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

So I have to drive 5 miles tomorrow. Chances of bring snowed in? Dublin north city.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So I have to drive 5 miles tomorrow. Chances of bring snowed in? Dublin north city.

What do you think?

• Advertisement

Chances of being snowed in? About the same as a lottery win.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Just rain in South Dublin.. so depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Breezy, very cold and blowing light rain here in Dublin 15. Manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavyish sleet in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

No Frost and No Snow in North Meath so far this week

• Advertisement

Anyway no snow. What about the severe frost?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dublin airport 4pm. 4 degrees and a dew point of 3 degrees . light rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

Off topic posts removed - stick to the weather please & thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Any snow showers due for the east coast tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I still can't get my head around why the precipitation here is falling as rain when it feels so bitterly cold out. It's miserable and manky. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Any snow showers due for the east coast tonight ?

Doubt it air temps and DPS won't be good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

Big rise in Temps here last few hours. Now 3.3c. That next blob on the radar should all be rain unless the temp drops significantly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I still can't get my head around why the precipitation here is falling as rain when it feels so bitterly cold out. It's miserable and manky. :mad:

I'm a weather amateur, but form of precipitation has very little to do with the ground level temperature (beyond how that tends to correlate with upper air temperatures and dew points and all that other stuff)

So what went wrong? Is fair to say that this event is warmer but has much more precipitation than expected even a few days ago?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

arctictree wrote: »
    Big rise in Temps here last few hours. Now 3.3c. That next blob on the radar should all be rain unless the temp drops significantly

almost 5C here now, a rise of 3C in past few hours. Most places should remain above freezing tonight and into double figures almost nationwide from Monday.

This cold event was never shaking up to be good to begin with but has turned out even worse than what most of us thought with many places seeing no frost or snow, just cold wind chill and clouds. Time to move on now from this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

So what went wrong? Is fair to say that this event is warmer but has much more precipitation than expected even a few days ago?

nothing really went wrong. It had poor precipitation and temporary cold temps with warmer air all around it to begin with. Possibly was a bit milder than expected with no night time frosts. In my book this was not an easterly, it was just a small off shoot of cold air with nothing to back it up such as long feeds of cold and snowfields.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Today's increased precip was expected a few days ago, and was also expected to bring an increase in temps with it confining snow to higher ground. What is disappointing is it's even warmer than expected and snow line seems to be >400m right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Lashing rain at 260m, my fields go up to 300m and they are still a green/brown mucky mess too. So disapointing. S. DUBLIN

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Snow line above 300M, sallygap in last 30 mins:

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/830457846525521926

Gonzo wrote: »
    nothing really went wrong. It had poor precipitation and temporary cold temps with warmer air all around it to begin with. Possibly was a bit milder than expected with no night time frosts. In my book this was not an easterly, it was just a small off shoot of cold air with nothing to back it up such as long feeds of cold and snowfields.

That's not true. Even two days ago the prediction was bright, frost and wintery showers ( but infrequent) and that was the non ramping forecast.

Instead there was no frost but lots of rain. Cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Reading the reports on here, I am reminded of this rather brilliant post from a couple of days ago. :P
    Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    TBH, if I was living on the east coast, I'd not be looking forward to the upcoming short cool snap: just looks cool, damp and non-descript. Much like we get in the west under weak polar westerlys, which is hardly anything to celebrate.

New Moon

Villain wrote: »

A guy in a mini spins. Hardly impassable for anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Here in north east Kilkenny, 7 miles from the city, the temperature for the afternoon was around 2.2C, then heated up to 2.7C, currently 2.6C with a dewpoint of 1.9C.
    Had a a light snow shower earlier, then some sleet later on, if we get the heavier precipitation, it should cool things down enough for snow.
    Glad I told a local news reporter who asked for the weather yesterday than Kilkenny city would get rain or sleet showers over the weekend.
    Kilkenny city is 3.7C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Villain wrote: »

That's impassable? Nice pics but the amount of snow there does not tie in with the comment at all.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Just had to come on to say that despite the spin that will be pushed by some on here, the entire forecast was way off. The opening of dedicated a thread for this non event was premature. I am in Dublin today at a wedding and it is wet and cold. A typical February day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement