Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Frost countrywide + Occasional Snow Showers in the East from Thursday 9th Feb

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not looking good for snow now looking at the latest from Met Eireann, only cold thing mentioned is hail in the showers.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

there is gonna be very little precipitation anyway, more like drizzle/snizzle showers. A dusting is about the best we'll get.

This is not a proper easterly dumping a few inchs of snow per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Looking at Hirlam, it is showing light snow showers (the odd heavier one too) from tonight until Saturday. During Friday night/Saturday morning, a band of moderate snow moves from east to west over Britain:

Then by 1pm, the same band is almost across the Irish Sea. It shows mainly moderate rain over the sea but I guess that it could dump a few cm of snow inland and over higher ground. This is as far as this model goes until the next run later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Even the super duper hi-res Arome model has showers being most of rainy sleet on the east coast of the UK overnight, though more of snow inland. Some dots of sleety snow showers up over the NE here too but not much.

rRAMQiw.jpg

TBH, if I was living on the east coast, I'd not be looking forward to the upcoming short cool snap: just looks cool, damp and non-descript. Much like we get in the west under weak polar westerlys, which is hardly anything to celebrate.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Light precip showing up between IOM and down, no shadow in effect as such for streamers at present?

Yeah looks that way. One theory would be the shorter distance of land to be crossed when coming from a SE direction, especially the southern half of the IOM. When coming from a NE direction (like 2010), you have to pass over the whole length of the island so convection would be hampered more and the shadow more pronounced.

Also currently the fetch to Belfast is all the way down to Liverpool, so convection has plenty of time to get going before getting a brief interruption from the IOM.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    there is gonna be very little precipitation anyway, more like drizzle/snizzle showers. A dusting is about the best we'll get.

This is not a proper easterly dumping a few inchs of snow per hour.

With surface pressure hovering between 1025 and 1032mb ('fair weather' territory) over the Irish sea during this 'easterly', deep convection is never really going to get going.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Its currently 1.8c and a dewpoint of -4.7
    We're in for a chilly night anyway! (South Dublin 260m)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

One must remember the forecast on ME must focus on the country as a whole and weather impacts.

It is not going to discuss any precipitation or its type near the east coast in much detail as it is unlikely to cause any disruption etc.

Personally If I am on shift the flurries will be called hail/sleet/snow as that is what the airmass from 00z to 12z Say will deliver. But they will be light and probably on deliver a dusting locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Even the super duper hi-res Arome model has showers being most of rainy sleet on the east coast of the UK overnight, though more of snow inland. Some dots of sleety snow showers up over the NE here too but not much.

rRAMQiw.jpg

TBH, if I was living on the east coast, I'd not be looking forward to the upcoming short cool snap: just looks cool, damp and non-descript. Much like we get in the west under weak polar westerlys, which is hardly anything to celebrate.

Yes, Paddy1, it won't be a proper snowy easterly, still no one was expecting it to be a beast from the east, and there might be one or two surprises lower down- a slight dusting for some away from coastal areas

Currently there is a light drizzle here in a light easterly breeze. Maybe some snow after dark and tomorrow night. There is more precipitation around Saturday, but of course the dew points will be marginal for snow by then. Longer term the GFS and M.T. Cranium seem keen on lows to our north west. I am beginning to lose hope winter will go out on a snowy note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Whats the forecast for Kerry this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Whats the forecast for Kerry this weekend?

Dry, cold, breezy at times, variable cloud by day, frosty inland where cloud breaks. Very little precipitation, perhaps some light drizzle / snizzle on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

1.3c here and cloudy. Any precip from now on should be snowy.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

arctictree wrote: »
    1.3c here and cloudy. Any precip from now on should be snowy.
    doesn't look like there will be much precip

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    doesn't look like there will be much precip

Very very light flakes in the breeze. Can just about be seen on a torch beam. Nothing on the radar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

arctictree wrote: »
    Very very light flakes in the breeze. Can just about be seen on a torch beam. Nothing on the radar though.

What location ?

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    What location ?

Near Roundwood, Wicklow. 250m ASL

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Crikey!!!!..... Jean had the long sleeves on even.....must be getting nippy:-D :-D

Here you go.... Ah you got there before me, Arctictree

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I reckon a good few could be seeing a light dusting in the morning running from the North down the East coast ( especially Wicklow ) and into the SE.

Looks Like Cork and Waterford could get the most Wintry Precipitation tonight/ early morning ( maybe a surprise if it gets cold enough ) although looking more wet then snow ( maybe North Cork might see a bit of settling snow ? )

LBUUCKX.png

bEmWm2X.png

aieGNLO.png

ZSucGFi.png

NCFT5RY.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

East coast of England getting a lot of snow showers atm.

Au3TP3D.gif

A bit to go here yet before a chance . Probably into the early hours.

6AQutus.png

• Advertisement

come back February 1991...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc49oYbAIr4

"Temperatures rising from -11 to -5". "Depths in excess of a foot". "It's all downhill from now". "Further snow causing chaos and disruption". that's what i like to hear in a forecast:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well the colder air is now starting to move across Eastern areas
    Snow showers will hit coastal areas of East and South over the weekend.
    How much is open to debate but we have a solid chance of seeing lying snow in parts of Cork and Dublin

That through passing over the South of the country Sat night/ early Sun morning will be interesting to watch

AOThzwi.png?1

"Temperatures rising from -11 to -5". "Depths in excess of a foot". "It's all downhill from now". "Further snow causing chaos and disruption". that's what i like to hear in a forecast:D

Another BBC forecast from the mid-eighties. When you even have a respected forecaster complaining of the cold, you know that it was in a completely different time and place! :D

(Jump to 1.48 for forecast)

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember watching that exact forecast before going to school that morning. School was suspended by lunchtime and we were off for about a week and a half. That was a proper easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

That through passing over the South of the country Sat night/ early Sun morning will be interesting to watch

AOThzwi.png?1

Yeah thats the vort streak highlighted earlier. 200m asl is where id say itll stick from. But we can all live in hope .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

A few flakes blowing in the wind here in Kildare now. 120m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Who and when forecast (ed) the 2010 snow?

Just wondered. I along with many others was caught up in it and hadn't a clue it would be that bad.

The current urge for snow is just that, a childish wish for Snow.

snizzle here now too.

3C outside but it is snow.

• Advertisement

Snow showers- or grains of snow seem to be making it as far as Athlone according to the rain today radar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement