Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Frost countrywide + Occasional Snow Showers in the East from Thursday 9th Feb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Who and when forecast (ed) the 2010 snow?

Just wondered. I along with many others was caught up in it and hadn't a clue it would be that bad.

The current urge for snow is just that, a childish wish for Snow.

Guilty as charged!

The UK Met Office forecast it well in advance, it was unusual for them to be so bullish about it, normally they would be more cautious. M.T Cranium was warning about it in advance too. It would be great to see a similar forecast from him again soon. Maybe next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Who and when forecast (ed) the 2010 snow?

Just wondered. I along with many others was caught up in it and hadn't a clue it would be that bad.

The current urge for snow is just that, a childish wish for Snow.

Nothing wrong with being a child once in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't know what the issues are with the thread forecast. Temperatures won't be quite as low but overall it seems fairly accurate, except it's less favorable to maintain the cold next week now.

We are not Mystic Megs.

Showers will pep up a little in the East through the night but very cold further west later on. That breeze will be cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

MJohnston wrote:
    Nothing wrong with being a child once in a while

"We're All Babies in Big Clothes"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Guilty as charged!

The UK Met Office forecast it well in advance, it was unusual for them to be so bullish about it, normally they would be more cautious. M.T Cranium was warning about it in advance too. It would be great to see a similar forecast from him again soon. Maybe next year!

Ah no worries.

It was unreal though back in 2010 and from what I can remember it was also a bit of a shock too at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Current temp and 'wind chill' readings here currently:

408840.PNG

While out moon bathing, I have to say I found this current coolness much more pleasant on the skin and much easier to tolerate than what you usually get when winds are from the west, which usually feels more brutal even when temps are higher.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

We are not Mystic Megs.

True, as her high standards are just simply impossible to live up to..

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

@ Su campu I definitely heard the word widespread referring to the east

I'll split the difference with ya! He said "the odd shower" on Friday, becoming "a lot more frequent" on Saturday.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9%5F21128141%5F48%5F09%2D02%2D2017%5F

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Ah no worries.

It was unreal though back in 2010 and from what I can remember it was also a bit of a shock too at the time!

Froze were the days!

I remember thinking at the time will I ever be fortunate enough to experience another winter month like it in my lifetime. Little did I think we'd would go seven years without a meaningful snowfall, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Beginning to feel very chilly in the easterly breeze here in West Mayo,possible to see your breath despite the wind, something I associate more with calm nights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Snizzle grains blowing in the wind - coastal Meath

-1 here on the Mayo coast.wind has eased off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

While out moon bathing, I have to say I found this current coolness much more pleasant on the skin and much easier to tolerate than what you usually get when winds are from the west, which usually feels more brutal even when temps are higher.

That would be the fancy expensive moisturisers getting evaporated from our precious eastern skin and being blown westwards. You may even wake up with a free spray tan if you're lucky!

There's a smell of slurry in this easterly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If we had the next weeks patterns in late July it would break the all time temp record.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If we had the next weeks patterns in late July it would break the all time temp record.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

The notorious IOM Shadow has entered the ring early.

7DN14u0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It doesn't *feel* like snow. Science, shmience!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah no worries.

"AH yes, I remember it well.." As long as the enthusiasts will get out and dig others out! No one did in that year, until a boardsie came to the rescue

Safer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bitter stultifying cold.. no way was I TAKING the dog out... door open long enough for her to squeeze through then firmly closed ;) Just is frigid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Snizzle in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

2C in Naas. Didn't even get frost. A light breeze what will cut though you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭White Clover

Rougies wrote: »
    The notorious IOM Shadow has entered the ring early.

7DN14u0.png

Total noob in these parts! But.... Can someone explain what is meant by the "IOM Shadow"
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

3c in Swords when I got into my car this morning at 6.30am.
    Not even a hint of frost and exceptionally calm. I was expecting it to be a bit frosty this morning but bone dry

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I have to say, a few days ago, based on model data, I thought there was a significant snow risk upcoming. Seems to be minimal now. Won't be many more windows left. In fact I have little time for cold chasing after Valentines Day sort of time. Best period is December until around now.

Wicklow may see something. Dublin mountains. No oomph though. Sea level, nah, not gonna happen I feel.

Booooiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Total noob in these parts! But.... Can someone explain what is meant by the "IOM Shadow"
    Thanks

IOM = Isle of Man. The shadow is the break in precipitation heading north west you can see on the chart, the blue areas have an Isle of Man sized hole between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Minuscule 1mm grains of snizzle falling in the breeze here only noticeable on a dark surface. Hard frost, everything crunchy, 0.3C. Time for coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Rain / snizzle mix East Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Twice this morning it's tried to Snow. 06.00 at J5 M1 and now just west of the airport. Really doesn't feel that cold but a definite attempt from the sky above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well leaving Roundwood this morning at 6.30 there was no frost (car showing +1.5), but on the way to Kilmac it was trying a couple of times. Bit more than snizzle, but not a flurry! Enough to keep me interested, as I admit to being a bit disheartened when I didn't even have to deice the car!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement