Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Frost countrywide + Occasional Snow Showers in the East from Thursday 9th Feb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

About 2 bits of snizzle just fell, let's go crazy, I'm calling in sick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Large blobs of moderate/possibly heavy snow moving into eastern England now. In addition, a developing snow shower is heading for the Belfast area. Hopefully the Irish Sea will spring to life soon. Air pressure where the moderate/heavy snow is developing in eastern England is almost identical to many eastern areas of Ireland. Temperatures are also very similar however Ireland has much more favourable DPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    IOM = Isle of Man. The shadow is the break in precipitation heading north west you can see on the chart, the blue areas have an Isle of Man sized hole between them.

Thanks. I knew the isle of man bit but didn't understand the shadow bit! Are you saying the precipitation falls on the IOM as it passed over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Never say never but none of MTC's forecast, MET E's forecast, the GFS precipitation charts (which frequently show rain as snow) or the Euro 04 model would give you much hope of snow this morning.

The one shining light remains the Hirlam model. It uses "hatching" on Meteociel (where I get it from) though and I always find the "hatching" a lot less accurate than the use of different colours (eg. pink) to connote snow.

Anyway the big interest seems to be a more organised blob of precipitation moving across the country tomorrow evening and overnight. Euro 04 has this as rain, Hirlam as snow. Hirlam also has snow showers today (in fact it has snow showers right now which is another reason to be sceptical...). See below.

Tomorrow night:-

17021200_1000.gif

hirlamuk-1-47-0.png?10-05

Right now!:-

hirlamuk-1-9-0.png?10-04

If I heard reports of widespread snow in the UK I'd start to get more hopeful for us but right now I'm not expecting anything for most if not all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Thanks. I knew the isle of man bit but didn't understand the shadow bit! Are you saying the precipitation falls on the IOM as it passed over it?

Google "lake effect snow". Basically the fact the cold air passes over the isle of man means it doesn't travel over enough water for showers to develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Irish Sea produces lake effect snow (precipitation given it is not always snow) when the conditions are correct.
    The IOM gets in the way as it interferes with the process. The IOM doesn't get the precipitation, it gets in the way of where lake effect snow is generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Any talk of snow is just wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Showers arriving into N Dublin look to have a bit more umph in them,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Any talk of snow is just wishful thinking.

Not if one is on high ground in the areas that get showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Very true but the majority of people are talking about low level ie cities and towns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

There's going to be a fair bit of showers by tomorrow evening inland enough to get down to Kilkenny
    For an alpine experience,Dubs should head up to the blue light or Johnny foxes or spend the night down in Roundwood or Glenmalure
    I don't think there's enough follow on cold enough air to bring coastal snow but we'll see,the odds are against that but not ruled totally out

What we're getting really is a rogue break off of the continental cold pool
    We're lucky to be getting that so soon as it normally takes 4 or 5 days for an easterly feed to bed in
    That's not on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Ref IOM shadow and lake effect snow.

Google "buffalo lake effect snow storm 2014" and have a look at videos, very recent good example. On a much bigger scale granted but you'll get the idea.

Very true but the majority of people are talking about low level ie cities and towns

Just to address this,there could be some settling snow by Sunday morning in higher parts of south Dublin with a population of a 100 k plus down as far as populated Ballinteer,Broadford that type of area but maybe not to Dundrum or Goatstown
    It's a nightmare to predict but not an issue because it won't be disruptive or anything for most even up there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I fear tomorrow will be too little too late, higher temps tomorrow means rain at lower levels. Today is going to be the coldest section of this spell and it will be mostly dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks like the layered cloud in the Irish sea will be breaking up soon, from Liverpool bay westwards past Anglesey. When this happens, convection is much more likely to kick off much as is the case over the north sea, fornenst eastern England.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

For an alpine experience,Dubs should head up to the blue light or Johnny foxes or spend the night down in Roundwood or Glenmalure
    There's a lap of the lower reservoir (10km) moonlight walk in aid of the Wicklow Hospice tomorrow evening in Roundwood, if anyone needs cover to get a partner up there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

It's not even remotely cold today

It's not even remotely cold today

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

2 to 4c nationwide isn't remotely cold?
    I suggest you get up out of bed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Working outside all morning , there has been colder days in April and may in the past than this so called beast from the east ye are talking scour about.

Who called it a beast from the east?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Tiny bits of snow grains falling - snizzle is that what you call it ? Dublin 7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Light drizzle in Dublin 3 just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Really light snizzle falling now in D12

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bitterly cold wind here and rising. West Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Lite snow in Clondalkin on and off, getting a bit darker! @ 11.53am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

Very light snow falling on the Naas Road, Dublin 12 within the last hour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

This is starting to feel like a snow watch thread now haha! :eek::eek::eek::D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: posts removed. Posters are reminded to abide with the forum Charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Few intermittent flakes at Dublin airport. This AA 757 decided to de ice the wings before departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Associated mid level trough thats producing the showers on the east coast of the UK will make its way over us by midday tomorrow.

Current
    nmm_uk1-14-6-0_gve1.png

Tomorrow
    nmm_uk1-14-30-0_yov0.png

Best chance of showers will be just after this passes through. Should fall as snow away from the coast or above 200m.
    408876.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

2 to 4c nationwide isn't remotely cold?
    I suggest you get up out of bed

Intensely cold here. Had to go the gate for the post and still shivering.Hurts to breathe out there .West Galway. around 400 ft asl.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement