Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Frost countrywide + Occasional Snow Showers in the East from Thursday 9th Feb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just be wary of the warm area of 850 thetas that is moving westward from Poland. Soundings show that below it the low levels are subzero but as it moves westwards and modifies over two seas it could lead to a more marginal situation later tomorrow. One to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Proper light snow now, after night of drizzle, then early morning snow grains. Hopefully ye will have it in a few hours over there

Just be wary of the warm area of 850 thetas that is moving westward from Poland. Soundings show that below it the low levels are subzero but as it moves westwards and modifies over two seas it could lead to a more marginal situation later tomorrow. One to keep an eye on.

Su Campu, is that the warm sector coming from the black sea area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just dropped into a few of the UK threads and don't get the impression there is much snow falling there.

It's not even remotely cold today

When I lived in central europe I regularly slept with the bedroom window open when temperatures fell to -22. Last night I had to get up at 3am and put on pyjamas because I was frozen. This with the window firmly shut.

Poked my nose outside earlier and here in Dublin 18, there is no denying, it is cold.

• Advertisement

Just dropped into a few of the UK threads and don't get the impression there is much snow falling there.

It's mainly light snow at lower levels here, there are heavier pockets further north towards Lincoln and over high ground. There maybe some modest accumulations more widely at night. This isn't going to be a case of England gets plastered, while the east of Ireland gets the scraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Su Campu, is that the warm sector coming from the black sea area?

No, this area over northern Poland/Germany.

408883.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Knock airport reporting light snow at 1:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

Decent snow cover on lugnaquilla today

The snow is getting slightly heavier now. I am enjoying this, because next week it looks like spring is on the way according to some of the models.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No sun, no snow, no wind to speak of just cloud and yucky in Waterford, bring on next Wed/Thurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

The snow is getting slightly heavier now. I am enjoying this, because next week it looks like spring on the way according to some of the models.

Do you think the midlands of Ireland will get any snow at all? I thought the midlands was the coldest part of the country it's 2°c right now and some cloud... I hope we get some snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Do you think the midlands of Ireland will get any snow at all? I thought the midlands was the coldest part of the country it's 2°c right now and some cloud... I hope we get some snow.

It's hit and miss, even though the temps might be good, the percipation is very scarce.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

some snizzle this morning but nothing since 11am.

I've seen more exciting pathetic north-westerly's than this rogue easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Some drizzle (not snizzle) here in central Dublin. Absolutely biting cold wind here though, very raw. Certainly feels like a cold easterly (just no precip).

Gonzo wrote: »
    some snizzle this morning but nothing since 11am.

I've seen more exciting pathetic north-westerly's than this rogue easterly.

How many cm of snow have you received in your area so far in 2017?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

How many cm of snow have you received in your area so far in 2017?

somewhere between 0.5 and 1cm of snow:)

There will be more precipitation around Saturday that will be pushed further inland during the day, so the afternoon/ late evening is your best chance for snow, but i cant guarantee what falls later on will be snow because by Saturday night it looks marginal for snow to fall in much of the country

That's nothing to smile about Gonzo. Look what you have been reduced due to these snow starved winters of recent times:(

I feel your pain :/

• Advertisement

That's nothing to smile about Gonzo. Look what you have been reduced due to these snow starved winters of recent times:(

it's pathetic alright. 7 long year's since a proper snowfall. I'm not expecting 2010 levels any winter but we can't even get 2 inches of snow. This winter is quickly heading towards another failure making it 8 years, making it so far possibly the longest single continuous lack of snow I've witnessed in my lifetime.

Leinster is possibly one of the worst positioned places in all of Europe for winter snow. Even the mediterranean parts of Greece and Italy see's proper snow now more regularly than we do. No way was it this bad during my childhood and teenage year's, snow was a regular feature here most winters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Those blobs making their way inland in the UK are only falling as very large snowflakes but at a very poor rate. Interesting how far inland they are getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

That's our climate
    Dubs who really like snow have it on their doorstep at little cost for at least half the winter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Those blobs making their way inland in the UK are only falling as very large snowflakes but at a very poor rate. Interesting how far inland they are getting.

Just came across this website http://uksnowmap.com/ . Tends to suggest no one over there is getting a whole lotta snow. Will be very, very surprised if anyone in populated areas gets any appreciable amount of snow tomorrow or Sunday but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

We don't really seem to have average mixed winters in this country anymore. The last ten years have either been extremely snowy and cold (two, possibly three) or extremely mild and near/completely snowless (seven, six consecutively since 2010). Our winters appear to go in cycles as well; from one extreme for a few years to another (mild of course longer than cold). Call it coincidence but it seems so utterly consistent that there must be some permanent shift in the climate.

Sure give it a few million years time and Ireland will have drifted up to the Arctic so I suppose we'll have our snow and ice fix then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Trinh

When I lived in central europe I regularly slept with the bedroom window open when temperatures fell to -22. Last night I had to get up at 3am and put on pyjamas because I was frozen. This with the window firmly shut.

Poked my nose outside earlier and here in Dublin 18, there is no denying, it is cold.
    Been there done that, but only because over there:
    -buildings are properly insulated, most made of thick concrete
    -there is central heating in most buildings, and is on 24/7 in the winter

T.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

For me yesterday felt colder than today mainly due to the wind gusting to 60km/h. I'm surprised how light the winds are here today. Temp is 4c, overcast but still would class it as a cold day.

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxstream.php

We don't really seem to have average mixed winters in this country anymore. The last ten years have either been extremely snowy and cold (two, possibly three) or extremely mild and near/completely snowless (seven, six consecutively since 2010). Our winters appear to go in cycles as well; from one extreme for a few years to another (mild of course longer than cold). Call it coincidence but it seems so utterly consistent that there must be some permanent shift in the climate.

Sure give it a few million years time and Ireland will have drifted up to the Arctic so I suppose we'll have our snow and ice fix then. :D

The reason for that at least around the east is that we only really see proper snow from a true easterly with a deep feed of cold stretching all the way back into Russia and these seem to be becoming more rare but when they deliver it snows like crazy.

The current cold snap is not in any way a proper easterly. It's a small cold blob of air moving westward with mild air all around it and no snowfields to our east.

All the other year's we see brief glimpses of snizzle or light wet snow from the west/northwest which melts soon after it falls. Some easterly's have occurred during March or April but by then it's too late and everything melts as soon as it stops snowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

For me yesterday felt colder than today mainly due to the wind gusting to 60km/h. I'm surprised how light the winds are here today. Temp is 4c, overcast but still would class it as a cold day.

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxstream.php

For me, over here in West Co Galway, this is the coldest of days. A bitter wind now and even the critters will not go out. One glance through the open door and they dive back in. Just myself cannot get and stay warm either.

Skies are leaden and hostile. Uncharitable..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

it's pathetic alright. 7 long year's since a proper snowfall. I'm not expecting 2010 levels any winter but we can't even get 2 inches of snow. This winter is quickly heading towards another failure making it 8 years, making it so far possibly the longest single continuous lack of snow I've witnessed in my lifetime.

Leinster is possibly one of the worst positioned places in all of Europe for winter snow. Even the mediterranean parts of Greece and Italy see's proper snow now more regularly than we do. No way was it this bad during my childhood and teenage year's, snow was a regular feature here most winters.

Well, I suppose snow events are going to get rarer and rarer here. They're so marginal a lot of the time and if we're heading towards a planet that's even half a degree warmer, I guess it puts us on the wrong side of that margin more of the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement