Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending the exams

Options
  • 06-02-2017 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi quick question, I've applied to do superintendent for the SEC this year. I didn't do it last year but I did the year before and that was my first year.

Me and friends are planning holidays at the moment and June is the only month suitable for her. I know I won't know if I get superintendent until April but I'm working on the basis that I will hopefully get it.

So if I remember correctly I found out my school location about a week before and I think it was only when I got the exam papers and paper work the Tuesday before the exam that I found out when my exam centre is closing. I only had about 7 days of superintending the last time I did it. Do I have to be available for the full duration of the exams? (I've been assuming we do) and therefore could only fly out from the 24th of June onwards and now my friend thinks her internship will begin that week so I just want to clarify I can't book before the 24th of June?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Yeah it's an absolute balls of a system pardons the language. Think I only found out on the Tuesday last year when I collected the papers that it was a leaving cert centre with a student who had an extra 20 mins every exam. It completely messed up my childcare arrangements and I ended up effectively working for free. Haven't applied for it this year as just not worth it
    I suppose you could apply and hope for the best you'd be finished on time. If not you could just notify them asap that you need to finish early. Not too sure how happy they'd be. So annoying it's so last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'd book the hol and apply with a provisio that you'd like to be finished on X date. They are usually accommodating if notified in advance, it really messes them up when they don't get notice and I think a lot of people will be refusing their position this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have written a letter the last 2 years asking for finish by x date and my reason (childcare). I send it with my acceptance form.
    They have always been accommodating. The majority of people who I meet superintending would love the 3 weeks of work! So would be delighted to get a long stint!

Advertisement