Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Drivers Without Lights Nearly Caused serious Crash

Options
  • 07-02-2017 12:08am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Had a serious accident tonight, wanted some advice.

Idiot driver driving without any lights, way over the speed limit, music blaring around the corner in the middle of road skidding around the corner which he broke the lights on came right for me I honestly thought that a crash was not avoidable so turned away as fast as I could, turned too sharply and lost control of the bike and front wheel and I went flying off the road, flying off the bike to my right hand side.

The good news is I avoided the car and went flying into the road. the handlebars twisted 90 degrees to the wheel (easily fixed though), and the chain whacked the chainguard very very hard. There is a massive very shallow dent on the frame and the painwork is all scuffed. However apart from the fact I may need a replacement wheel, damage doesn't look too bad, honestly the whack the bike took was deafening and hit the ground really hard. However it probably saved me.

I broke my left thumb, maybe wrist too and suffered a bad blow to the knee, small chip to the other elbow and a bad graze to the knee, Of course, I went out for just a 2km ride to the shop and couldn't find the helmet before I went out and got a light graze to the head, Honestly the speed I came off the bike the people around were surprised that was all I got. I have to have further x-rays in the morning to rule out any other damage since there is question mark over if there is a break to the blow and wrist.

The question is has anyone gone to the city council about getting camera pictures released? I didn't see the plates clearly and neither did passers by. But we need to get idiots like this off the road. It's totally dangerous driving and the thing is that I drive with lights, high vis stuff on and always drive safely, but tonight I really felt I had a lucky escape from death.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

The MIBI has an obligation to cover unidentified drivers who cause personal injury.

(Motor insurance bureau of Ireland).

You should report to an Garda Síochána, ask them to obtain any CCTV footage. Make a complaint of dangerous driving and failing to remain at the scene. These are criminal offences pursuant to section 52 and section 106 of the road traffic Act 1961 - do not accept it if a garda tries to maintain this is a civil matter.

The council are very unlikely to release footage directly to you.

You will need to have filed a report with an Garda to substantiate your claim with MIBI.

http://www.mibi.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chances are it was a stolen car and joy riders.

Even if not, i doubt they would have insurance.

Look into it but count yourself lucky that they didn't hit you and hopefully they didn't hurt anyone else further on.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Chances are it was a stolen car and joy riders.

Even if not, i doubt they would have insurance.

Look into it but count yourself lucky that they didn't hit you and hopefully they didn't hurt anyone else further on.

There you go..count yourself lucky OP. Inspector Captain Obvious has had his say and all is well in the world.

I'd definitely follow Fian's advice and get onto the Gardai and with as much detail as possible and just hopefully you will encounter staff with an understanding and facilitating approach. Where there is a a will there's a way. Write everything down to remember the finer details while still fresh.

Can you confirm where this happened, on what stretch of road or address / location? Maybe someone here/ on Boards may have seen a similar unlit vehicle in the area and be able to help with your follow up.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sorry to hear this.

If you can identify any CCTV nearby you can get footage of you released to you under the Data Protection Acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Granolite wrote: »
    There you go..count yourself lucky OP. Inspector Captain Obvious has had his say and all is well in the world.

I'd definitely follow Fian's advice and get onto the Gardai and with as much detail as possible and just hopefully you will encounter staff with an understanding and facilitating approach. Where there is a a will there's a way. Write everything down to remember the finer details while still fresh.

Can you confirm where this happened, on what stretch of road or address / location? Maybe someone here/ on Boards may have seen a similar unlit vehicle in the area and be able to help with your follow up.

No need for the attitude towards me. I didn't say anything offending to OP, he could of easily got killed by the dangerous driver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Fian wrote: »
    You will need to have filed a report with an Garda to substantiate your claim with MIBI.
    http://www.mibi.ie/

Do this immediately.

Rules changes in 2009 meaning you need Garda report to substantiate claim; system had previously been open to abuse.

mibi.ie system is not unlike how littering works; most people are decent and pay their insurance and a minority don't leaving decent people to clean up their mess.

Advertisement