Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network on ONLY my PC slow after upgrade to new ISP

Options
  • 07-02-2017 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I hope this is posted in the right place.

I upgraded to Imagine LTE today and the speeds are great. I used to get 3mbps now I get between 25 and 60 daily. There's one massive problem though.

The WiFi is extremely slow on my PC even though it was fine yesterday and this morning, before the new WiFi came in. I am using a WiFi extender in order for the signal to reach upstairs (where my PC is). My speed according to Speedtest.net on my PC is 0.5mbps download and 0.2mbps upload, however in the same room my speed in my iPhone is 15-20mbps download and 2-5mbps upload, which is annoying me.

My PC is Windows 10, and 64 bit. I am using this as my Wireless network locator and it lets me use WiFi: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01KFOML3E/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1486423707&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=wifi+usb&dpPl=1&dpID=41hC5VPWVdL&ref=plSrch

Before this, when I had Sky Broadband (yesterday) I used an Ethernet cable which went from the wifi extender into my PC. However I had to move the extender to suit the new signal strength with Imagine so I can't use the Ethernet anymore.

My question; is this a problem with my computer? If so how do I fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Turn off the "extender" and test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 John_2187

Turn off the "extender" and test it.

The internet doesn't reach the PC without the extender...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Try home plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 47 John_2187

Big Lar wrote: »
    Try home plugs

A WiFi extender is the same as a homeplug, mine does have the Ethernet slot it's just too far away from my PC. I'm thinking of buying a 30m Ethernet cable and drilling it through a wall into my office where it can run straight to my PC. Any other suggestions are appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Just to be sure: if you only have one plug it's a WiFi repeater.
    Home plugs
    http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/TL-PA411KIT.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

On your PC Check if you're using the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band. It could be you were using 2.4 before and 5 now, which may be connecting but with a weaker signal. Wherever the PC shows its wifi connection details should tell you this. I'm not familiar with Windows 10 so don't know what details it gives you re: signal strength but there'll be plenty of 3rd party apps that would give you this info if necessary. If on 5GHz I would try forcing 2.4GHz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

John_2187 wrote: »
    My question; is this a problem with my computer? If so how do I fix it?

Not sure about iPhone, but on Android there's a nice app called "Wifi Analyzer" which would tell you 2 things.

1. If the Wifi channel that your new router is on is conflicting with a neighbours one. ( you've a choice of 1 - 14 channels )

2. You can connect to your router and walk around the house and it will measure the strength of the signal. That might show you better places to position your repeater, moving it nearer the router or nearer your PC.

Failing that, as people mentioned, use powerline adapters, some of which I think can have built-in WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

John_2187 wrote: »
    A WiFi extender is the same as a homeplug,

This is not correct at all.

Run speed test over ethernet cable, nothing else can be trusted.

Advertisement