Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buy iphone from US apple store online?

Options
  • 07-02-2017 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

buy iphone from US apple store (from here) deliver to US address ??
    anyone done this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

never done it but I believe the warranty isnt valid outside of US if something goes wrong... dont know how right this is tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Wrong. I bought mine in the U.S. and had it fixed both here and the U.S. (logic board or mother board or something died both times). Worldwide warranty 100% - ignore anything fear mongering people might give you on here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The warranty in the first year is ok. If there is a problem after that you have no consumer protection as you would buying it here.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

By the time you add on sales tax the savings aren't all that much, not really sure why you'd even bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    never done it but I believe the warranty isnt valid outside of US if something goes wrong... dont know how right this is tho
    Wrong. I bought mine in the U.S. and had it fixed both here and the U.S. (logic board or mother board or something died both times). Worldwide warranty 100% - ignore anything fear mongering people might give you on here.

in fairness to Ya-Boy-Ya, he did not state a fact, merely a possible belief, with an explicit caveat about it's accuracy......hardly scare mongering..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

awec wrote: »
    By the time you add on sales tax the savings aren't all that much, not really sure why you'd even bother.

i calculate the saving at about 120e for a SE 64GB...

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

you would save €175 on 7 plus with 128gb storage if you bought on the US Store, provided you deliver in US.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

4real wrote: »
    you would save €175 on 7 plus with 128gb storage if you bought on the US Store, provided you deliver in US.
    Does that include paying customs and VAT when bringing it back into Ireland?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

devonp wrote: »
    i calculate the saving at about 120e for a SE 64GB...

Not when you add on customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Does that include paying customs and VAT when bringing it back into Ireland?
    awec wrote: »
    Not when you add on customs.

Do-gooders always come on to these threads.

Of course everybody goes to the red channel at Dublin Airport and declares all purchases on arrival and those who don't are high level immoral criminals whose should be locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm not a do-gooder. If you want to risk it, risk it. I just want to point out to the people who mention it's a €175 saving that everything being like for like, it's a smaller saving than people point it out to be.

Never mentioned anything about it being illegal or that you're a criminal for not declaring it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don’t think the loss of consumer protection is worth €175 or whatever the saving is. Look at the bad battery problem with the 6s - it took Apple months to acknowledge it and only on a limited number of phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

yea im fear mongering :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I would rather pay the extra and buy it from apple.

175 euros might seem like a lot extra but its not as under Irish law you have cover for 5 years ....

Think of it this way you basically get a 5 year warranty for 175 euros.

Buying it for the US you only get 1 year warranty on it thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

.... as under Irish law you have cover for 5 years ....

can you provide a link to this? I thought it was 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

ablelocks wrote: »
    can you provide a link to this? I thought it was 2?

It's neither, it's whatever a judge deems a reasonable length of time.

Advertisement