Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arcade fire malahide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

poundhound wrote: »
    Malahide Castle is a fantastic venue. The beauty of Slane without the hassle.
    However, the the amount of people there with little or no interest in the actual music was very disappointing. I was surrounded by groups of people weighed down with those 4 pint carrier packs of beer, chatting and taking group selfies for the entire gig. I moved several times but there was no getting away from it.
    Hugely distracting for those of us there solely for the music.

One of the gigs I went to a few years back, a lad goes to the bar, orders his drinks, has to get someone to hold his two beers so he can take off his top on the way back and carefully roll it to tuck it into his shorts so just the right length, then spills (not f%^kin drink) a quarter pint from both so he can hold his two pints in the air and look great going back to his mates, 6 quid a pint and 20 min queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

bennyc wrote: »
    One of the gigs I went to a few years back, a lad goes to the bar, orders his drinks, has to get someone to hold his two beers so he can take off his top on the way back and carefully roll it to tuck it into his shorts so just the right length, then spills (not f%^kin drink) a quarter pint from both so he can hold his two pints in the air and look great going back to his mates, 6 quid a pint and 20 min queue.

Yeah, had similar experience last week at Eddie Vedder in the point, maybe it was just my row but there was a constant stream of (the same) people getting up mid show to go to the bar coming back with umpteen pints. I reckon they only saw half the show with all the time spent q'ing at the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

lambayire wrote: »
    Well said.

Welcome to the now typical Irish gig-goer in 2017.

I just don't understand spending so much money to stand in a field and drink beer with your mates.

It's always about the concert, the music, the show for me.
    God I sound old.

I was just in front of the tower, and still loads talking even though they knew more songs than I did! Found it odd.
    I just enjoyed the gig. Venue is also way better than Slane. Just confirms to me now how rubbish the sound was at Slane for GnR, though I was up the back, so shouldn't moan.
    Not a huge Arcade Fire fan, but they gave it socks in fairness. Just thought it was way too short. I didn't catch the support, but checked them out day before online, and decided I'd skip them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It wasn't so bad over to the leftclose enough to front. A few phones in the air recording it but most people seemed to be enjoying it.

Getting out of the carpark took about an hour though! Seemed like a huge wait for the amount of cars there so don't know what the delay was!

Does anyone have a set list? I'm really only familiar with Neon Bible, have been meaning to listen to more but there were a few songs I didn't know last night that sounded great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Most irritating thing of the night was in the male toilets, 100+ urinals and there's dozens of morons pissing on the fence right next to them.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

stuboy01 wrote: »
    there was a constant stream of (the same) people getting up mid show to go to the bar coming back with umpteen pints. I reckon they only saw half the show with all the time spent q'ing at the bar.

This has always been the way at gigs. Only difference now is phones with cameras and a new found narcissism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Effects wrote: »
    This has always been the way at gigs. Only difference now is phones with cameras and a new found narcissism.

The gig in Whelans afterwards was deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Effects wrote: »

+1

Anyone remember the Hothouse Flowers RDS gig in summer '88. That gig that everyone who was anyone was at and everyone went to be seen.

Saw one girl in my class at school sit on a fence preen through their whole set and didn't look at the stage once.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Just confirms to me now how rubbish the sound was at Slane for GnR, though I was up the back, so shouldn't moan.

You should moan, the sound was absolutely muck at Slane, the video was out of sync and the volume kept going up and down, it was absolutely shocking considering they grossed over ?7 million on tickets. Also it was packed, you couldn't actually get any closer once you were stuck at the back.

Seemed like hardly anyone was at Arcade fire in comparison, wonder how many were there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

cormie wrote: »
    You should moan, the sound was absolutely muck at Slane, the video was out of sync and the volume kept going up and down, it was absolutely shocking considering they grossed over ?7 million on tickets. Also it was packed, you couldn't actually get any closer once you were stuck at the back.

Seemed like hardly anyone was at Arcade fire in comparison, wonder how many were there?

The sound was perfect if you weren't up the back of the field, the screen wasn't out of sync if you weren't far enough away for the speed of sound & the speed of light to come into play and the volume went up and down because wind ****s with sound.

There was loads of space around us at Slane and the sound was amazing.

Depending on where you were, the sound was good at Slane apparently, but it's no way to enjoy a gig, trying to figure out whether you should look at the screens, the dots on stage, as everything is out of sync. Just too big a place.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Depending on where you were, the sound was good at Slane apparently, but it's no way to enjoy a gig, trying to figure out whether you should look at the screens, the dots on stage, as everything is out of sync. Just too big a place.

Possibly 80,000 is too much yeah, 50-60k might be more suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Around 20,000 I think

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

My friend who went was disappointed with the gig , Said the sound wasnt great and there was no atmosphere. Its a pity because i thought they were great in Marlay Park few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

threein99 wrote: »
    Pretty much every gig is like this now.

Not just gigs, pretty much every event is like that. Last time at an international rugby match there was an ever moving wall in front of me going in and out to the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I managed to get in a get a video of Creature Comfort in Whelans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I thought it was a good gig. Met a few friends, had a few drinks and a chat, danced to the songs, thought the opening act were decent, some people to photos and I'm probably in a couple of them, and we had no hassle getting out of the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 My Back Pages

chonix wrote: »
    - Good Show. I wanted more songs though.
    - Support band... what the f...heck?
    - Loads of people (even though got beer spilled on my back)
    - Am I the only one that noticed sound problems near the middle/end of the show? I mean, they sounded fab at the beginning... but something happened there, could not hear the Violin properly and there was a small delay... maybe it was me!
    - If there are fences, please don't be an asshole and jump over them. I hope you slip and fall next time.
    - Annoying people in the DART/Bus. Couldn't even use headphones to stop that.
    Yeah I really noticed this for The Suburbs especially, couldn't hear the piano on it at all. There were another few songs in the middle that seemed to be missing maybe violin & lead guitar. Seemed to be addressed by last few songs.
    Still a great gig though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

there were a few people behind me down the middle, in front of the tower

they literally had a conversation going among the group of 5/6 for the entire performance
    like, you can have that silly conversation anytime!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Had a great time last night, they sounded great from where I was standing, queue for the toilets and beer moved very fast and the crowd were great, I didn't get elbowed or shoved once, like I usually would with a younger crowd, my only wish is if they played longer!

The sound was perfect if you weren't up the back of the field, the screen wasn't out of sync if you weren't far enough away for the speed of sound & the speed of light to come into play and the volume went up and down because wind ****s with sound.

There was loads of space around us at Slane and the sound was amazing.

I forget what entrance we came in, but we tried to get closer and there wasn't any space at all. Regardless of us being up the back of the field, we were in the venue, we paid to get in there and we were as close as we could comfortably get and the sound was atrocious. Also, the music was actually ahead of the video feed. So It must have been delayed for everyone, if it was the other way around with the sound being delayed it would have made more sense.

If they can't provide an enjoyable experience for 20,000 people who paid to get in there, then they shouldn't charge them in, or split that section away, warn that the sound will be ****, and charge half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

david75 wrote: »
    The gig in Whelans afterwards was deadly.

Is one song really a gig? Dj set was meh. Cool to get to see them that close but a bit weird everyone crowding round them with phones out constantly

I forget what entrance we came in, but we tried to get closer and there wasn't any space at all. Regardless of us being up the back of the field, we were in the venue, we paid to get in there and we were as close as we could comfortably get and the sound was atrocious. Also, the music was actually ahead of the video feed. So It must have been delayed for everyone, if it was the other way around with the sound being delayed it would have made more sense.

If they can't provide an enjoyable experience for 20,000 people who paid to get in there, then they shouldn't charge them in, or split that section away, warn that the sound will be ****, and charge half price.

Not sure if that was just the bottleneck where the field narrows but there was loads of space around us and the screens were completely in sync with the music & the sound was great. We weren't right up the front either.

You guys got what you paid for so. We definitely didn't and we heard so many people complaining how **** the sound was and saw loads of people tweeting about it too. Not sure how we would hear the music ahead of the video and you guys didn't, unless it was all dubbed :D

You guys got what you paid for so. We definitely didn't and we heard so many people complaining how **** the sound was and saw loads of people tweeting about it too. Not sure how we would hear the music ahead of the video and you guys didn't, unless it was all dubbed :D

Wonder did they have extra speakers halfway up the field or something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 newb990

I enjoyed the gig, but it wasn't as good as previous times I've seen them. I was disappointed with the setlist. I thought they played some of their weaker tracks, at least not my favorites. Only 3 songs from Reflector and they weren't the ones I was really hoping to see live. I would have loved to hear We Exist or Joan of Ark.

I got talking to a good few people before it started and I was surprised at how many people hardly knew the music! Few said they only liked their earlier stuff and it was their first time seeing them. I really got the feeling these people had only come to the gig to drink in a field. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

It was my first time seeing them and I thought they were good. I was really close to the front tho.

The set seemed to drop in the middle but they picked it back up at the end
    Overall it was a good gig and was well enjoyed

Deco99 wrote: »
    Is one song really a gig? Dj set was meh. Cool to get to see them that close but a bit weird everyone crowding round them with phones out constantly

There was another set upstairs in the parlour bar. Invite only though .

• Advertisement

We all know how humidity works with regards sound right? It slows it down A lot. Also in a perfect world you'd have sound towers spaced out towards the back of the venue rather than blasting from the front but that's extra costs for the promoter. Never gonna happen. (Then we'd have people complaining they block their view probably)

Also there'd be a severe limitation on volume permitted at a show like last night given its residential surroundings.

Some really almost geriatric complaints here though fair play lads haha

Advertisement