Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arcade fire malahide

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

It was my first time seeing them and I thought they were good. I was really close to the front tho.

The set seemed to drop in the middle but they picked it back up at the end
    Overall it was a good gig and was well enjoyed

the songs in the middle are their poorest songs, so the sound isn't as good!

you can really spot the songs that they 'get into'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Was a really weird Setlist no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

david75 wrote: »
    There was another set upstairs in the parlour bar. Invite only though .

Really? What time roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So david75 gets to go back stage at both Eddie and Glen gigs and another invite only gig too? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'd have preferred an extra half hour on the set in malahide instead of some silly dj set in whelans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Deco99 wrote: »
    Is one song really a gig? Dj set was meh. Cool to get to see them that close but a bit weird everyone crowding round them with phones out constantly

There was another set upstairs in the parlour bar. Invite only though .

What did they play at that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭geotrig

really enjoyed the gig , got there early (before the support act) , the dart was jammed - who cares :pac: it was to be expected. enjoyed the support act some of their songs were good some were average(like every band, prefer them over the kooks anyday !) but overall nice sound to get in a good gig mood. had a nice spot just up from the tower to the right . got crowded out of it later on when everyone decided to walk over me !:):p
    I thought there was a nice crowd from young families to older couples ,the main thing for me though was that it wasnt a messy atmospehere which is the main thing ,people talking who cares :confused: overall i though malahide castle was great for this gig.

AF were excellent (id be a casual fan ), cant believe people are bemoaning the set list ,its a gig not a request show. There is always going to be stuff thats not going to be played , overall they played a nice mix from all albums with a decent enough flow . new albums song was great !

8-10 wrote: »

Well it must have been after half two and everyone at it must have signed a non disclosure

Deco99 wrote: »

Well it must have been after half two and everyone at it must have signed a non disclosure
    Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭MfMan

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'd have preferred an extra half hour on the set in malahide instead of some silly dj set in whelans

Exactly. A semi-fan of AF and gig setlists can be hit and miss, (I enjoyed The Sprawl), but AF have great 'musicanmanship'. However, bad value I felt from Malahide; sound on the poorer side, practically no interaction between band and audience and played barely 90 minutes. For someone brought up on Bruce concerts, I feel distinctly shortchanged.

"We f**kin love you Dublin". Yeah, so much that you left early to hit Whelans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

MfMan wrote: »
    Exactly. A semi-fan of AF and gig setlists can be hit and miss, (I enjoyed The Sprawl), but AF have great 'musicanmanship'. However, bad value I felt from Malahide; sound on the poorer side, practically no interaction between band and audience and played barely 90 minutes. For someone brought up on Bruce concerts, I feel distinctly shortchanged.

I'd say if that was a Saturday evening gig there'd have been a different age profile at the gig and it would have been a bit messier

It''s the same length set they do on every tour. Belfast had a later curfew so that's why they went on earlier at Malahide but they still had to be done by 10.30

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

cormie wrote: »
    Not sure how we would hear the music ahead of the video and you guys didn't, unless it was all dubbed :D

Being further back in a field will do that.
    Wonder did they have extra speakers halfway up the field or something? :confused:

There was speakers in line with the sound tower.
    Seriously?
    He's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Being further back in a field will do that.

Nah, you'd expect the sound to be behind the video being further back, not ahead of the video. If Arne is saying the video and sound were in sync up close, then it would make sense for the sound to be delayed where we were, but seeing as though were all watching the same video, it doesn't make sense the sound is ahead of the video, that was the odd thing about it!

Seriously?

Calling shenanigans on parlour bar gig. Didn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

cormie wrote: »
    Nah, you'd expect the sound to be behind the video being further back, not ahead of the video. If Arne is saying the video and sound were in sync up close, then it would make sense for the sound to be delayed where we were, but seeing as though were all watching the same video, it doesn't make sense the sound is ahead of the video, that was the odd thing about it!

Exactly. Thunder doesn't come before the lightning.

Was due to travel to Dublin that night anyway for something else early the following morning and was offered a free ticket for the gig at lunch time on Wednesday so headed up a few hours earlier. Left Limerick at 4, dropped off the motor in Tallaght and made it to Malahide Castle at 7:50 and met up with a few friends who were going anyway. Third time seeing them live so was expecting it to be good. We loved it. Was surrounded by a mix of people who loved it from kids who haven't left primary school yet to pensioners who danced like no one was watching. An ideal gig! Noticed the odd glitch here and there but it didn't take from the atmosphere. More of this please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

MfMan wrote: »

If you look at their setlists, they are all around 17-19 songs long for this tour (except for Best Kept Secret which was 20). I do agree though with 4 albums behind them and a 5th on the way they should be playing for longer. Radiohead have been doing ~2 hours and 24/25/26 songs for years (at non-festival shows).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

Saw them on Saturday night of the Best Kept Secret festival. They have a stunning catalogue of songs. It did strike me though that as a front man, Win Butler really doesn't carry it off.
    Watched Radiohead last night and Thom Yorke was very much the pivot around which everything revolved - you couldn't take your eyes off him. Butler stampeded around the stage but it was the band who carried the night for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

mosstin wrote: »
    Saw them on Saturday night of the Best Kept Secret festival. They have a stunning catalogue of songs. It did strike me though that as a front man, Win Butler really doesn't carry it off.
    Watched Radiohead last night and Thom Yorke was very much the pivot around which everything revolved - you couldn't take your eyes off him. Butler stampeded around the stage but it was the band who carried the night for them.

Maybe that's the point with Arcade Fire? Dunno, but I get the feeling it is with them.
    I don't like the way they switch drummers all the time though live. Just use the one drummer, and do the gig!

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Maybe that's the point with Arcade Fire? Dunno, but I get the feeling it is with them.
    I don't like the way they switch drummers all the time though live. Just use the one drummer, and do the gig!

Yeah, for sure it is but Butler is actually the least charismatic onstage which, given the fact that he's the main singer, is a drawback I think.

That's all just optics though. This isn't a pearl jam or Bruce Springsteen situation where you have a charismatic centre point. Arcade fire are very much a band and a collective. Front man being the focus is a tired notion anyways especially given he only does one part of the entire work but gets all the credit. They don't seem to subscribe to that notion at all and fair play to them for not doing so.

That's all just optics though. This isn't a pearl jam or Bruce Springsteen situation where you have a charismatic centre point. Arcade fire are very much a band and a collective. Front man being the focus is a tired notion anyways especially given he only does one part of the entire work but gets all the credit. They don't seem to subscribe to that notion at all and fair play to them for not doing so.

I'm just making the point that there are several charismatic members of Arcade Fire and that it's a shame that one of the least 3D happens to be the lead singer. That's just the way it is. Merely thinking aloud. I don't subscribe to any tired notions.

mosstin wrote: »
    I'm just making the point that there are several charismatic members of Arcade Fire and that it's a shame that one of the least 3D happens to be the lead singer. That's just the way it is. Merely thinking aloud. I don't subscribe to any tired notions.

Ah you're not wrong.
    Struck me on Wednesday and back in marlay park that there's sooooo much going on in their production. Effects fireworks big screens amazing lights all that. And then amazing songs with what 9 or 10 people onstage?

What's the sensible thing to do in that situation if you're the front man?
    Standing still at your mic and focusing might be wise for you or me personally. But boring and totally incongruous with the carefully planned yet sensory overload mayhem blowing up all around you for the crowds benefit.

So he's gotta move about a bit and give it some. I think anyways. He never missed a word he didn't hit a single bum note and knew exactly how to work the room. That's a good front man. He'll be a brilliant front man in ten years if he can hone it and really work on it I reckon.

Advertisement