Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW 1150RT Any good as allrounder?

• 07-02-2017 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

As Im getting sick of the lack of weather/wind protection on my naked bandit 600 I want to change to something more faired.
    Anyway I could get a good deal on a 1150 rt with all the lagguage etc.

Do you think this bike is suitable for somebody with less than a year on a bike or would it be to heavy to handle (Im 6ft4 and 115kg)?

I would use it for commuting through Dublin on a daily basis and light touring. Is the bike's width/weight an issue for filtering?
    How is it on juice?

Btw I ve a full license.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its not a bad bike but I personally would not get one for mostly commuting and the odd tour, the size and weight would be an issue in slow moving traffic. The deal you are getting is it off a dealer or a friend as price would be a factor in taking it or sourcing something better. Its a big lump and not that nice looking TBH but that is just me....much better out there for a commuter/tourer.

Why not stay with what you have only bigger and with fairing like the bandit 1200 or the GSXF1250, so reliable and great torque and tour all day long. Does it have to be a bigger engine or a 600/800 with wind protection?

VFR800 would be excellent choice.

Few bikes to consider:-

Vstrom 600/1000
    Honda DULLVille
    Bandit 1200
    GSXF1250
    Yamaha FZ6/FZ1
    Kwacker Versys 600/1000
    Honda CBF1000
    VFR800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Its not a bad bike but I personally would not get one for mostly commuting and the odd tour, the size and weight would be an issue in slow moving traffic. The deal you are getting is it off a dealer or a friend as price would be a factor in taking it or sourcing something better. Its a big lump and not that nice looking TBH but that is just me....much better out there for a commuter/tourer.

Why not stay with what you have only bigger and with fairing like the bandit 1200 or the GSXF1250, so reliable and great torque and tour all day long. Does it have to be a bigger engine or a 600/800 with wind protection?

VFR800 would be excellent choice.

Few bikes to consider:-

Vstrom 600/1000
    Honda DULLVille
    Bandit 1200
    GSXF1250
    Yamaha FZ6/FZ1
    Kwacker Versys 600/1000
    Honda CBF1000
    VFR800

Thanks Wonda-Boy.

Its a dealer. The same one I bought the bandit of and he knows the history of the beamer too. I would only pay €600 plus my bandit. I like the luaggage facilities/electr screen, fog lights etc but Im worried about the weight/width in heavy city centre traffic when filtering (I can flick the bandit around like a heavy bicycle...).

Tried the old Deauville..... not my cup of tea....

Bandit 1250 / GSXF 1250 are out of my price league atm.
    Fazers and cbf not comfy enough.Have to try the vfr800.

The v-strom would be a contender Looks very comfy. Which one is better the 1000 or 650 (I heard that there were some issues with the 1000 engine).
    Insurance would be the same for bandit 1200/1250, bmw 1150 rt and both v-stroms (€460 for tptf).

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I've had many bikes, and we used Bandit 600's in work for a few years.. My last bike was a BMW and my current bike is a Vstrom DL650.

I'll be honest, the BMW took awhile to get used to and they're a really good commuter, despite their size.

The shaft drive is brilliant, but it can give problems on the RT. The anti-dive front end takes a little getting used to but once you get it its brilliant too.. The switch gear is awful and you'll never like it or even get used to it after coming off a Jap bike.

They're THIRSTY buggers, serious thirsty ~ as an example I've cut my fuel bills in half with the move to the Vstrom and although the Vstrom is half the engine size it does everything the BMW could do ~ but far cheaper and with Japanese reliability.

When the BMW gives you trouble its going to cost you an arm & a leg, trust me on that one. Mine broke my heart (and bank balance). Hardly anything is simple on them, and BMW dealers know how to put a saddle on your back and ride you to hell ~ so find a good independent BMW mechanic (you'll be hard pushed to find a dealer who'll work on them).

They're a nice bike to ride, really nice but man oh man I'd never touch one again!.

Wonda suggested a Vstrom, and tbh I'd have to say YAY!.. And not because I currently ride one, I was quick enough to moan about my BMW here in the forum when I had it. So if I have a bad bike I'll say so.

I'm not as tall as you, I'm 6'1'' but I'm the same weight and the DL600 Vstrom is very comfortable. They're cheap to run, and servicing takes less than an hour. Its very easy on tires too.

I have a Scottoiler so there's minimum chain maintenance.

I've no experience of the DL1000 but I've read that there's very little difference between the 650 and the 1000.

If you get the BMW stay away from Joe Duffy's (Finglas). If that place was on fire I wouldn't waste my piss on it to put out the flames.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I'm 1.78m / 108kg and I wouldn't call the BMW heavy (R1100RT). Maybe it is, but I don't notice it.

I commute on mine, but don't have to go into the middle of town with it. Having said that I've piloted heavy / fully faired and luggaged up yokes round central London in a past life at silly speeds, so I'm not shy at slicing through gaps.

If you have a lot of city centre congestion to do, then get something narrower. If most of the ride is more open, 900mm wide isn't going to be a problem, but I'd leave the panniers at home or fit City lids to narrow up the rear.

I can't recommend it if you're a slave to the dealer though. I'd be on the street if I had to. If you're handy with a set of spanners, that can take the sting out of it.

Get a Pan European instead.

Well I've had many bikes, and we used Bandit 600's in work for a few years.. My last bike was a BMW and my current bike is a Vstrom DL650.

I'll be honest, the BMW took awhile to get used to and they're a really good commuter, despite their size.

The shaft drive is brilliant, but it can give problems on the RT. The anti-dive front end takes a little getting used to but once you get it its brilliant too.. The switch gear is awful and you'll never like it or even get used to it after coming off a Jap bike.

They're THIRSTY buggers, serious thirsty ~ as an example I've cut my fuel bills in half with the move to the Vstrom and although the Vstrom is half the engine size it does everything the BMW could do ~ but far cheaper and with Japanese reliability.

When the BMW gives you trouble its going to cost you an arm & a leg, trust me on that one. Mine broke my heart (and bank balance). Hardly anything is simple on them, and BMW dealers know how to put a saddle on your back and ride you to hell ~ so find a good independent BMW mechanic (you'll be hard pushed to find a dealer who'll work on them).

They're a nice bike to ride, really nice but man oh man I'd never touch one again!.

Wonda suggested a Vstrom, and tbh I'd have to say YAY!.. And not because I currently ride one, I was quick enough to moan about my BMW here in the forum when I had it. So if I have a bad bike I'll say so.

I'm not as tall as you, I'm 6'1'' but I'm the same weight and the DL600 Vstrom is very comfortable. They're cheap to run, and servicing takes less than an hour. Its very easy on tires too.

I have a Scottoiler so there's minimum chain maintenance.

I've no experience of the DL1000 but I've read that there's very little difference between the 650 and the 1000.

If you get the BMW stay away from Joe Duffy's (Finglas). If that place was on fire I wouldn't waste my piss on it to put out the flames.

Thanks Estelle Wide Frown.
    I can't afford a bike that might cause me too much trouble and expensive repair bills so I will pass on the BMW. I guess I just liked the idea of a luxury commuter for peanuts....My commuting might change from D12 to either Swords, Blanchardstown Northwest Business Park or to Bray (so a bit of weather/wind protection would go a long way).

The v-strom 650 or 1000 should fit the bill. My insurance quote for both bikes is €460 tptf. So I will a have test ride on both.

• Advertisement

macplaxton wrote: »
    I'm 1.78m / 108kg and I wouldn't call the BMW heavy (R1100RT). Maybe it is, but I don't notice it.

I commute on mine, but don't have to go into the middle of town with it. Having said that I've piloted heavy / fully faired and luggaged up yokes round central London in a past life at silly speeds, so I'm not shy at slicing through gaps.

If you have a lot of city centre congestion to do, then get something narrower. If most of the ride is more open, 900mm wide isn't going to be a problem, but I'd leave the panniers at home or fit City lids to narrow up the rear.

I can't recommend it if you're a slave to the dealer though. I'd be on the street if I had to. If you're handy with a set of spanners, that can take the sting out of it.

Get a Pan European instead.

Thanks macplaxton.
    Sounds like a lovely bike overall. Unfortunately Im not handy with a spanner and can't afford hefty repair bills so I guess I will stick with Japanese bikes.

I had a spin on the pan. Its a great bike but I wasn't too confident with filtering as it is very heavy.

Btw the BMW in question is this one here:

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bmw-1150-rt/14648600

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Never had an 1150 RT but had an R850RT and 3 x R1150R. Never noticed a weight issue with the 850 and there would be very little weight difference between the 850 and 1150RT. Travel mostly 2 up so the 850 was a bit low on power but very comfortable. The 1150R. more or less the same engine and drive train as the RT. Loved those bikes and put serious mileage on them both at home and Europe. Never one bit of trouble. Great protection (weather) on the RT but the R s were naked. Then BMW fuC£ed up things and went to 1200. Pure rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

MSVforever wrote: »

Looks like a very tired bike to me, also is that a crack in the fairing up at the headlight suggesting a fall or crash?

Not worth the money in my book, deffo get a cleaner bike for the money listed in that ad.....Also what a place to take a fookin picture is that smack bang in the middle of the road.

Riva10 wrote: »
    Never had an 1150 RT but had an R850RT and 3 x R1150R. Never noticed a weight issue with the 850 and there would be very little weight difference between the 850 and 1150RT. Travel mostly 2 up so the 850 was a bit low on power but very comfortable. The 1150R. more or less the same engine and drive train as the RT. Loved those bikes and put serious mileage on them both at home and Europe. Never one bit of trouble. Great protection (weather) on the RT but the R s were naked. Then BMW fuC£ed up things and went to 1200. Pure rubbish.

Cheers Riva10.
    I read a good bit about the 1200 on a German BMW forum and there seem to be endless issues.... The dealerships don't want to know and are fobbing off their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

also is that a crack in the fairing up at the headlight suggesting a fall or crash?

Can't see a crack. I can see the gap where the side panel joins the nose cone.

What I can see is an unpainted mirror pod, I thought they were colour matched originally?

Looks like a very tired bike to me, also is that a crack in the fairing up at the headlight suggesting a fall or crash?

Not worth the money in my book, deffo get a cleaner bike for the money listed in that ad.....Also what a place to take a fookin picture is that smack bang in the middle of the road.

I only saw the bike in the rain so didn't really notice the crack. However it looked well used but not too shoddy.
    I def trust this shop as I bought my bike there and they are really helpful (and not pushy at all). Stefan, the owner, is absolutely sound. Advised me on 2nd hand parts instead of ordering new (the first day I got my bike I dropped it in our underground car park in work - slow motion u-turn on slippery surface...).
    However the costly BMW parts etc put me off the bike.

I agree. The picture is crap and was taken right outside of the shop in the middle of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Have to agree with Wonda.

That's a helfty price for that bike, and yes it looks tired. Unless you could get a fair chunk knocked off that price (€1700 would be my absolute limit) I wouldn't bother.. And tbh its a bike you'll buy with a view to running it into the ground because there'll be little or no resale value on that thing after you buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've had a lot of Bee Emms, albeit not for a while, and a few 1150RT's.

Good things: comfort, weather protection, brakes, lights.
    Bad things: when it goes pear-shaped, it'll break you. The brakes on 1150RT's in particular, although I see this milestone has been passed on your advertised example by having the ABS disconnected.
    The clutch would want to be 110% as a dealer-change on one is huge. In reality it could scrap the bike. Tall first gear on the 1150 means a lot of time spent on the clutch, an 1100 less so.

I never found them thirsty, quite the opposite in fact.
    If you put a tape on the width of it, you'll find it's no wider than anything else, although the mirrors can sometimes be at the same as a cars, so filtering needs watching, but I think they commute well.
    The 1100RT is older, simpler.........and cheaper. I wouldn't give 1c extra for an 1150 over an 1100 tbh.

The clutch alone on them is why they haven't been on a lot of police fleets for a while, and the latest RT cures that by putting the clutch at the front of the engine and so is as quick and easy to get at as a Jap bike - which is a good thing.

Fwiw, have access to Deavilles atmo too, but I actually find the weather protection poor, esp lower legs & feet: in fairness, the BeeEmm winds that hands down.

If you can find one, a K75RT / LT / Ultima would be bullet proof, economical, and with the best fairing on the planet, weather-wise.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Have to agree with Wonda.

That's a helfty price for that bike, and yes it looks tired. Unless you could get a fair chunk knocked off that price (€1700 would be my absolute limit) I wouldn't bother.. And tbh its a bike you'll buy with a view to running it into the ground because there'll be little or no resale value on that thing after you buy it.

Cheers Estelle Wide Frown.
    So for the right price you would go for it?
    The bike seems to get very mixed reviews from absolutely bulletproof (once the ABS is disabled which often causes trouble) to the biggest heap of junk.
    So I guess it can go one way or the other.

For example I had a Civic once (described as bulletproof) which was a real money pit. Traded it in for an older W210 (had a reputation as the worst Merc ever made) which was running like swiss clock.
    Will I take a gamble and play Russian roulette...lol...
    Probably better off keeping the Bandit until a decent priced V-Strom or TDM comes up....

Apart from donedeal and adverts.ie are there any other used bike websites?
    Which is the best one for NI?

Cheers.

galwaytt wrote: »
    I've had a lot of Bee Emms, albeit not for a while, and a few 1150RT's.

Good things: comfort, weather protection, brakes, lights.
    Bad things: when it goes pear-shaped, it'll break you. The brakes on 1150RT's in particular, although I see this milestone has been passed on your advertised example by having the ABS disconnected.
    The clutch would want to be 110% as a dealer-change on one is huge. In reality it could scrap the bike. Tall first gear on the 1150 means a lot of time spent on the clutch, an 1100 less so.

I never found them thirsty, quite the opposite in fact.
    If you put a tape on the width of it, you'll find it's no wider than anything else, although the mirrors can sometimes be at the same as a cars, so filtering needs watching, but I think they commute well.
    The 1100RT is older, simpler.........and cheaper. I wouldn't give 1c extra for an 1150 over an 1100 tbh.

The clutch alone on them is why they haven't been on a lot of police fleets for a while, and the latest RT cures that by putting the clutch at the front of the engine and so is as quick and easy to get at as a Jap bike - which is a good thing.

Fwiw, have access to Deavilles atmo too, but I actually find the weather protection poor, esp lower legs & feet: in fairness, the BeeEmm winds that hands down.

If you can find one, a K75RT / LT / Ultima would be bullet proof, economical, and with the best fairing on the planet, weather-wise.

Thanks Galwaytt.

The comfort and weather protection has drawn me to the RT.
    Tried out a Deauville 650 and found it bland.
    I had a go on a mates cbr600rr but hated the riding position (after an hour my back and wrists were killing me).
    My favorite bikes are adventure/sportstourer/allrounder.

So you would recommend the 1100 rt instead?
    The K75 RT seems to be very rare...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The ABS is not a particular problem on the R1150; it's the servo-assist brakes from ~2003 on. Personally I'd be put off my the disabled ABS.

The R1150 has 6 speed box, hydraulic clutch, better lights, looks better (IMO).
    The hydraulic clutch presents a risk of fluid leak contaminating the clutch. Unlike R1100.
    A clutch job is major - on both R1100 and R1150 but possible for competent DIY mechanic at home. But ideally I'd want some reassurances\service history\warranty on the clutch.

Lots of parts available from independent suppliers in UK. No need to visit main dealers normally. Mahle\Knecht filters available from motor factors in IRL
    Avoid R1100's before 1997 due to gearbox problems.
    For commuting in town it is a bit large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What about an older model fjr??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks Galwaytt.

The comfort and weather protection has drawn me to the RT.
    Tried out a Deauville 650 and found it bland.
    I had a go on a mates cbr600rr but hated the riding position (after an hour my back and wrists were killing me).
    My favorite bikes are adventure/sportstourer/allrounder.

So you would recommend the 1100 rt instead?
    The K75 RT seems to be very rare...

An 1100RT would be cheaper to buy and potentially less likely to give trouble - so there's no point in paying over 1100 money for an 1150. €1700 is as much as they're worth now.

Which is a pity.

As mentioned above its not the ABS per se that's the issue: BeeEmm has had ABS since 1990 iirc without issue.
    It's just that on the 1150RT the brakes are power assisted by using the ABS pump. I used to service my own and still have all the special dealer tools for them. For a variety of reasons the electonic unit gives up and it's 1000's to fix or. .....bypass the whole thing.

Bike's up to 2006 including the new generation K1200GT etc are prone to it too. BeeEmm gave up on the technology eventually - as did Mercedes-Benz using it in their cars at the time.

An awful waste of what is otherwise a fine bike to ride.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The ABS is not a particular problem on the R1150; it's the servo-assist brakes from ~2003 on. Personally I'd be put off my the disabled ABS.

The R1150 has 6 speed box, hydraulic clutch, better lights, looks better (IMO).
    The hydraulic clutch presents a risk of fluid leak contaminating the clutch. Unlike R1100.
    A clutch job is major - on both R1100 and R1150 but possible for competent DIY mechanic at home. But ideally I'd want some reassurances\service history\warranty on the clutch.

Lots of parts available from independent suppliers in UK. No need to visit main dealers normally. Mahle\Knecht filters available from motor factors in IRL
    Avoid R1100's before 1997 due to gearbox problems.
    For commuting in town it is a bit large

The R1100 seem to fetch good money when I look on donedeal, autotrader uk etc.
    If the clutch on the 1150 goes then what kind of repair bills I will be looking at..... €500...€1000 or even more?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    What about an older model fjr??

I saw one in bikeworld but they are asking around 6k for a 2004 modell which would be out of my price league...

galwaytt wrote: »
    An 1100RT would be cheaper to buy and potentially less likely to give trouble - so there's no point in paying over 1100 money for an 1150. €1700 is as much as they're worth now.

Which is a pity.

As mentioned above its not the ABS per se that's the issue: BeeEmm has had ABS since 1990 iirc without issue.
    It's just that on the 1150RT the brakes are power assisted by using the ABS pump. I used to service my own and still have all the special dealer tools for them. For a variety of reasons the electonic unit gives up and it's 1000's to fix or. .....bypass the whole thing.

Bike's up to 2006 including the new generation K1200GT etc are prone to it too. BeeEmm gave up on the technology eventually - as did Mercedes-Benz using it in their cars at the time.

An awful waste of what is otherwise a fine bike to ride.

Thanks Galwaytt.

It's a shame. Looking on donedeal most of the R1100/R1150 seem to be way over €2500.... Is there so much haggle room?

The R1100 seem to fetch good money when I look on donedeal, autotrader uk etc.
    If the clutch on the 1150 goes then what kind of repair bills I will be looking at..... €500...€1000 or even more?

Thanks.

If you are handy with spanners, it is not that expensive but allow yourself at least a weekend as the gearbox and final drive have to be taken out. No special tools required. If you take it to a workshop, I would think a days labour would be involved. I know on a poorly maintained BMW R you may have problems when you try and take the driveshaft from the output shaft as they have been known to seize to the splines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I saw one in bikeworld but they are asking around 6k for a 2004 modell which would be out of my price league...

I think bikeworld prices are bit inflated. Check on donedeal - few options:

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes/Yamaha/FJR

I know this guy is a bit far for you but I have used him for years and he is a stand up guy.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/mt-03-2009/13942091
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bmw1200st-2005/14157210
    Usually at least 150 second hand motorcycles in stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's a few ST1100 with half that mileage and around the same price on donedeal could be worth a look if you want that type of bike.
    I've had a 1150gs and a 1200gs for about 10 years and commuted through town daily. I prefer the upright seating position. Only problem I had was a drive shaft, cost me about €500 to replace. I did have a good independent to do it, as Mak said, stay away from Joe Duffy, their only purpose is to extract money from you.

BTW, I prefer the BMW indicator switches!

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

Hi Guys,

As Im getting sick of the lack of weather/wind protection on my naked bandit 600 I want to change to something more faired.
    Anyway I could get a good deal on a 1150 rt with all the lagguage etc.

Do you think this bike is suitable for somebody with less than a year on a bike or would it be to heavy to handle (Im 6ft4 and 115kg)?

I would use it for commuting through Dublin on a daily basis and light touring. Is the bike's width/weight an issue for filtering?
    How is it on juice?

Btw I ve a full license.

Thanks!

if your a millionaire then buy one, because you gonna pay crazy money for parts just because its "BMW"

if your a millionaire then buy one, because you gonna pay crazy money for parts just because its "BMW"

Definitely not true for the older BMW. Plenty of parts new and second hand available from UK.

If you are handy with spanners, it is not that expensive but allow yourself at least a weekend as the gearbox and final drive have to be taken out. No special tools required. If you take it to a workshop, I would think a days labour would be involved. I know on a poorly maintained BMW R you may have problems when you try and take the driveshaft from the output shaft as they have been known to seize to the splines.

Cheers Riva10.

Unfortunately I dont have the knowledge and time (Im glad when Im able to get out for a longer spin). So it would cost me a good bit.

• Advertisement

I know this guy is a bit far for you but I have used him for years and he is a stand up guy.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/mt-03-2009/13942091
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bmw1200st-2005/14157210
    Usually at least 150 second hand motorcycles in stock

Thanks.
    Sounds good.
    Has he got a proper website as he doesnt seem to advertise prices on donedeal?

Advertisement