Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel or Groupset upgrade... WWYD

Options
  • 07-02-2017 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

I have a Cannondale CAAD 8 with Shimano Sora 9 spd groupset and Mavic Aksium wheels.

I have a brand new unused set of Mavic Cosmic Elites WTS (the 30mm Alloy ones) which a friend of mine is interested in buying off me.

I could upgrade the bike with the Cosmics, or with the money my mate would give me for them, get a 105 5800 groupset.

I also have summer bike with Ultegra and Zondas. If I did upgrade to 11 speed on the CAAD8, I could interchange wheels between bikes, so effectively use the Zondas on the Cannondale whenever I see fit. So the Zonda vs Cosmics equation is also worth considering.

What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

That all sounds very complicated.
    I think you should just buy a new bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

An awful mess you've gotten yourself into there OP. That's what happens running campy wheels on a Shimano bike. It all starts to unravel.

Sell both the Mavics and Zondas. Buy the 105 5800 and a decent set of hand built wheels to use interchangeably. Keep the Aksiums for winter rides and order will be restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You already have a 'good' bike with 6800 and Zondas, so why the need to upgrade a winter bike? Sell the Cosmic Elites as they're not very good anyway and quite heavy and keep your money for when you actually need something.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

You already have a 'good' bike with 6800 and Zondas, so why the need to upgrade a winter bike? Sell the Cosmic Elites as they're not very good anyway and quite heavy and keep your money for when you actually need something.

Sorry Cee-Jay-Cee but I think I'm going to have to ask you to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Some interesting points here.

Anyone have Cosmics? How do they ride compared to Zondas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sorry Cee-Jay-Cee but I think I'm going to have to ask you to leave

Sorry about that, I wasn't feeling myself yesterday and to make up for it I went and spent over €100 on CRC on stuff I have absolutely no need for.

Advertisement