Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerboat recommendations

Options
  • 07-02-2017 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm interested in recommendations for a powerboat suitable for safety/rescue for a dinghy sailing club. we currently have some elderly Avons (4m and 4.7m) and a Ribcraft 4.8 and are looking at replacing one or more of our older boats with newer, subject to finances being available.

Any thoughts on makes/models from those in the know? We would probably want something in the 4.5m to 4.8m size range.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If your looking for something to pull people and markers out of the water maybe an open boat would be better, have a look at the warrior , predator , Galla , orkney , Trophy and Raider to name a few the choice is huge, maybe you could go through done deal and pick out something that you think will suit your needs probably the wider the beam the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I'm not so sure about using a fibreglass boat - one would be fine for laying marks, etc, but if as a safety boat you have to drag a cold wet kid (or adult!) out of the water the roundy sides of a rib are much more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Thanks for the comments guys. We're definitely looking for a rib. We have a few inflatable boats already.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

How about this thing, should last a few years.https://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/whaly-4-35m-boat/13470862

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.humberribs.co.uk/ are a good standard for many sailing clubs and businesses. I've driven a few and they are nice boats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

marko99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm interested in recommendations for a powerboat suitable for safety/rescue for a dinghy sailing club. we currently have some elderly Avons (4m and 4.7m) and a Ribcraft 4.8 and are looking at replacing one or more of our older boats with newer, subject to finances being available.

Any thoughts on makes/models from those in the know? We would probably want something in the 4.5m to 4.8m size range.
    What about a solid pvc rib ?

Very robust and low maintenance.
    www.fun-yak.fr/en/workboats/fy-5-40

CH marine can supply them.
    https://www.chmarine.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I know the rescue boats in HYC are all avon seariders and I think the same is true for the DL clubs. HYC tried a couple of ribcrafts and while nice, they didn't have the seakeeping or, more importantly, anything like the durability, of the Avons.

The 4m seariders is too small imo for rescue but the 4.7 is a good size with bigger diameter tubes and the extra length. Along with the ability to take 4 stroke. The 5.4m is an unreal sea boat and gas more space in the bow over the 4.7 but that may be excessive for you needs. The new seariders are Zodiac milpro branded but are essentially the same, HYC have one of these. Important is the extra armour on the tubes which guard against chafe when lifting marks.

IMO no hard boat will make progress in a big sea like a rib can, also towing dinghys alongside and recovering a mob is much less hazardous.

Advertisement