Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will coffee save this marriage?

• 07-02-2017 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

My wife spends about 500 euros a year on petrol station coffee. 1 coffee each morning 5x times a week.. Her chosen tipple is cappuccino or latte. Depending on her mood.

I would like to surprise her with a bean to cup machine that produces the same type of product. I don't want a separate frother just something she can put a cup under and hit a button. I.E. A Domestic version of the service station machine.

She has tried the pod options and doesn't like then, that's why I'm thinking a bean to cup option.. The alternative is to kill her, whichever is the cheeper option ;) :eek:

Budget. The less the better, but if it works perfectly, then up to 500 euros. But I'm hoping for a lot less ;)

Is it doable ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Aeropress, KG79 grinder and a subscription through someone like Roasted Brown. Total cost of c. €200 in your first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Aeropress, KG79 grinder and a subscription through someone like Roasted Brown. Total cost of c. €200 in your first year.

Sorry, just saw that you want something integrated for grinding and brewing. I'm not aware anything that would do both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Thanks, I'm looking for a push button option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I got a DeLonghi machine off amazon a few years ago for e250 (special offer). Usually that model is about e400+. Keep an eye out for specials.

Note that even a "push button" machine is not foolproof, you have to configure the grind correctly and so on to get desired result.

srsly78 wrote: »
    I got a DeLonghi machine off amazon a few years ago for e250 (special offer). Usually that model is about e400+. Keep an eye out for specials.

Note that even a "push button" machine is not foolproof, you have to configure the grind correctly and so on to get desired result.

I was going to reply, I won't be configuring anything. But I guess you're right, I will haha.

Is the machine a one push button and go ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

This does what you're asking for a bit more than the budget, worth it imo.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Eletta-Coffee-Machine-ECAM44-620/dp/B00I6E79XS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

sunny2004 wrote: »
    My wife spends about 500 euros a year on petrol station coffee. 1 coffee each morning 5x times a week.. Her chosen tipple is cappuccino or latte. Depending on her mood.

I would like to surprise her with a bean to cup machine that produces the same type of product. I don't want a separate frother just something she can put a cup under and hit a button. I.E. A Domestic version of the service station machine.

She has tried the pod options and doesn't like then, that's why I'm thinking a bean to cup option.. The alternative is to kill her, whichever is the cheeper option ;) :eek:

Budget. The less the better, but if it works perfectly, then up to 500 euros. But I'm hoping for a lot less ;)

Is it doable ?

what was the thread title about I clicked in this thread for nothing 10 seconds il never get back.

audi12 wrote: »
    what was the thread title about I clicked in this thread for nothing 10 seconds il never get back.

The important thing is you didn't waste more time replying. ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EOMZ5E/?tag=ho01f-21

Is this a similar machine to the one suggested above ?

I was going to reply, I won't be configuring anything. But I guess you're right, I will haha.

Is the machine a one push button and go ?

Yes. But you have to adjust it for personal taste, espresso needs a finer grind for example.

Like any machine you will have to descale at regular intervals - and normal cleaning etc. So not entirely effort free!

edit: Yes pretty sure that is the same model I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Shoot the hostage

Can't see important stuff in the specs like pressure etc. Seems the main difference is one has a fancy digital interface (lol).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Second one is fancier looking and will hold the heat a bit better.
    I got the first one for my parents for Christmas and they're extremely impressed with it. For the price its a steal.
    You will have to froth the milk separately though on both those machines with the steam wand. But its pretty easy to do and requires a quick wipe down after.
    Unless its being used multiple times a day I'd avoid one that automatically froths the milk as you'd have to rinse it after each use and would take more time than cleaning the wand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just be aware that regular cleaning and occasional maintenance (descaling etc) is required for these machines.

Coffee is a messy thing and it will get everywhere. I take it you will be the one cleaning up ? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

The important thing is you didn't waste more time replying. ;)

Yes I saw the irony when writing out the text but couldent stop myself

audi12 wrote: »
    Yes I saw the irony when writing out the text but couldent stop myself
    I know the feeling ;)
    Oddly enough my original title was different and mods changed it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A machine is definitely a better option. A funeral will cost you €5k minimum and 15-20 years :)
    Just wish I had the room for one:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

This might be the answer - easy to use, easy to clean, and you can get lots of pods everywhere so plenty of scope for different coffee... I know people with one, they love it and it gives them really nice coffee easily, hasslefree, and with lovely frothy milk.

http://www.delonghi.com/en-int/products/coffee/coffee-makers/nespresso-system/lattissima-touch-en550w-0132193162

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_325004904603_-1?CMP=SSH&tmcampid=28&tmad=c&sku=7916226&cmp=KNC__683763090_39709337910__&mkwid=s%7cpcrid%7c155423928855%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cpdv%7cc%7cprd%7c7916226&gclid=CK-Ey7OI_9ECFU-T7QodL20OPA

I await the purist's backlash, but it's an easy option, I think!

Prenderb wrote: »
    This might be the answer - easy to use, easy to clean, and you can get lots of pods everywhere so plenty of scope for different coffee... I know people with one, they love it and it gives them really nice coffee easily, hasslefree, and with lovely frothy milk.

http://www.delonghi.com/en-int/products/coffee/coffee-makers/nespresso-system/lattissima-touch-en550w-0132193162

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_325004904603_-1?CMP=SSH&tmcampid=28&tmad=c&sku=7916226&cmp=KNC__683763090_39709337910__&mkwid=s%7cpcrid%7c155423928855%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cpdv%7cc%7cprd%7c7916226&gclid=CK-Ey7OI_9ECFU-T7QodL20OPA

I await the purist's backlash, but it's an easy option, I think!

I like the idea but the wife doesn't like the pods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

srsly78 wrote: »
    Yes. But you have to adjust it for personal taste, espresso needs a finer grind for example.

Like any machine you will have to descale at regular intervals - and normal cleaning etc. So not entirely effort free!

edit: Yes pretty sure that is the same model I have.

Is there an automatic feature to descale? or do you mean you have to add some chemical descaler and clean it out? whats regular intervals? once a year or once a month? it surely depends on the hardness of the water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

A machine is definitely a better option. A funeral will cost you €5k minimum and 15-20 years :)
    Just wish I had the room for one:(

How much room do you need for a funeral?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

cerastes wrote: »
    Is there an automatic feature to descale? or do you mean you have to add some chemical descaler and clean it out? whats regular intervals? once a year or once a month? it surely depends on the hardness of the water?

yep depends on water hardness and it can even be once every 2 months. No automatic descaler, have to pump through a solution and clean it out etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

OP - was 9 days enough time to prevent you being happy? ..spill the (coffee) beans :)

Advertisement