Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ifi

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

SeaFields wrote: »
    Lads, I know we have a few regulars that regularly discuss the fact they are working with the IFI but received this via PM by a boardsie that didn't want to identify themselves as an IFI employee who would like it added to the discussion.

In fairness i did say in my first comment that the one or two staff that ive met on my travels were capable individuals, i got to know one of them well enough when i used to fish a local river of mine. I even met him on his day off trying to catch a fella keepin fish, and i know of another fella who does a hell of a lot of work on the ground too. The district inspector that retired recently, also gave me his number to contact him if i seen anything goin on. So they're not all bad.
    But theres no denying that theres a serious hatred for pike in the management. Sure didnt 17 IFI employees from the west actually push for the culling of pike, after it had been stopped recently due to them been filmed electrofishing the clare river. You had Ciaran Byrne blabbering on the radio the other week, about how much nets that they found and how many prosecutions they've made. yet come next month, when the gill nets are down, the IFI will be the biggest fish killers in the country. Its an absolute disgrace, As a predominately coarse angler how am i meant to respect an organisation like that????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ducati916

The guys in the IfI that don't agree with the pike culling should strike, mobilise and put it to the management in letter or whatever way you feel is best. Of course you guys didn't sign up to kill fish, so don't do it. I personally would refuse to do it (I know that's easy for me to say), but atleast you have your integrity and don't have the guilt of killing thousands of pike. So mobilise the troops n put it too your management...

If that doesn't work, just don't kill the pike, move them, there are a bunch of lakes near lough Arrow (just gonna talk about the area I know best) that are fished out. In the report it seems ye don't have the funds to move all the fish. Then WAIT, wait till ye have the funds and resources rather than kill thousands of fish, what's the rush, then just move the fish alive if ye have to move them at all.

If ye have to bother the pike, move them alive, if ye cull them, it's gonna be a **** atmosphere for you guys to work in, and for us guys to fish in. We all just want to get along and fish in peace, that's what it's all about. Just don't kill the pike, your there to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Its their members in the west that do it. Many of them are members of trout clubs so they're only to delighted to get rid of them. Didnt one of the IFI's board members have a b&b on the corrib so that should be a conflict of interest there.
    Have you seen the video where they're putting the pike in a mortar in with about 7 or 8 inches of water in it. No aerator, nothing. Seriously it was sickening watching it. Its like they do what they want in the west and stick two fingers up to everyone else.
    They claim to be understaffed, which they are. I think theres only 2 or 3 bailiffs to cover the greater dublin area including kildare. They mainly be up and down the liffey, which still gets poached by the way.
    But when it comes to gill netting they seems to have plenty of allocated funds,staff, boats to do the job. These people are getting paid by us the taxpayers to protect are fisheries, not decimate them even further,and all they've accomplished is to drive a wedge between us anglers. After the widespread epidemic of poaching over the last decade or so,would it not make more sense to relocate the fish instead of killing them. Calling them braindead would be an understatment.

Advertisement