Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

young family looking for house around Dundrum shopping center

Options
  • 07-02-2017 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi Guys, we are looking for a house around Dundrum shopping center. we are a young family that moving to Dublin and looking for a house with minimum of 2 bedrooms.i would love to hear from landlords with a peaceful cozy place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Ariel, while we welcome posts such as yours, I'm not sure how aware you are of the current rental market but a landlord with a property to rent has a queue of people waiting to rent it. They're not going out to canvas additional applicants. There are a number of 2 bed places around Dundrum in the region of 1700-2000 per month.

If you aren't based in Dublin yet it's unlikely you will be able to secure anything. I'd suggest you organise short term accommodation and then start your search for a longer term rental. Keep in mind the landlord will expect as a minimum: employment reference, previous landlord reference, deposit, etc. to secure the apartment and it is becoming more common to show up to open viewings with all these documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dani_Din

Michael thanks, i'm aware of it and i have the funds to pay for a house in this price range, as for the references we have our own house that we will rent in our country and i can provide bank accounts history of two different saving accounts that presents that we are able to pay on time. i also have employment reference and other recommendations that i'll be happy to present. its just that i cant find a proper cozy house for me my wife our kid and the cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The cat is a big problem. A very small proportion of rentals allow pets.

anyone familiar of rentals that allows cats ? I don't mind to write down in the contract that any damage that will be done I will pay for it. as i'm sure nothing will happened as our cat is very clam.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ariel77r wrote: »
    anyone familiar of rentals that allows cats ? I don't mind to write down in the contract that any damage that will be done I will pay for it. as i'm sure nothing will happened as our cat is very clam.

The problem is for every family who have a cat/dog looking to rent, there will be 20 families with no pet also looking to rent, so for the landlord it's a very simple choice!

It is a landlords market. They can pick and choose who rents off them sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Get rid of the cat. Otherwise you'll be reduced to looking in areas where nobody wants to live.

Get rid of the cat. Otherwise you'll be reduced to looking in areas where nobody wants to live.
    no way, its like getting rid of your own child. I don't mind to state in the contract that any damage done by the cat I will be liable for, but i'm not going to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

no way, its like getting rid of your own child. I don't mind to state in the contract that any damage done by the cat I will be liable for, but i'm not going to get rid of it.

You mightn't mind but why should a landlord bother with it?

Takes a long time to rid a place of the smell of cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

lawred2 wrote: »
    You mightn't mind but why should a landlord bother with it?

Takes a long time to rid a place of the smell of cat.

Try daft.ie

You're not going to get rid of it but neither are you likely to find what you're looking for in such a high demand location. Rentals that accept pets are few and far between in any area but like gold dust in a place like Dundrum. Don't be tempted to forget to mention the cat either. Recipe for disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Well then it's Ballybrack or Balbriggan for you so. I wouldn't let an animal near my house

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

If you offer a higher deposit (2-3 months instead of one), and you're an attractive candidate otherwise, a landlord might be okay with a cat. I've rented with a cat from several landlords, and it hasn't been a problem - but it's definitely more difficult in the current market. Even having children these days makes finding somewhere difficult, as landlords worry about increased wear and tear. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If you offer a higher deposit (2-3 months instead of one), and you're an attractive candidate otherwise, a landlord might be okay with a cat. I've rented with a cat from several landlords, and it hasn't been a problem - but it's definitely more difficult in the current market. Even having children these days makes finding somewhere difficult, as landlords worry about increased wear and tear. Best of luck.

Isn't 2 or 3 months becoming standard these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Isn't 2 or 3 months becoming standard these days?

Yes - due to the attitude of not giving notice & factoring in with this absconding on the bills & not having to bother with an evaluation for possible damages - three up front is pretty standard nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

as for the references we have our own house that we will rent in our country
    I doubt that this will really count for much, as essentially you're saying that you are your own reference.
    i also have employment reference and other recommendations that i'll be happy to present. its just that i cant find a proper cozy house for me my wife our kid
    Your current employment references may help.
    the cat.
    There are 28 house (50 properties) in the entire county of Dublin that accept pets.

The nearest apartment is in Stillorgan; http://www.daft.ie/21711884

The nearest house to Dundrum is in Sandyford; http://www.daft.ie/21712599 the catch is it's unfurnished. Probably the only reason it allows pets.

In the Advanced search section of daft.ie there is a Facilities drop-down that allows you to select "pets allowed".

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You'd have a better chance with pets if you can contact the landlord directly. My sister in law is renting with a cat. Agencies were a straight up 'no' when she mentioned it, but then she found a couple of ads that were listed by the landlord as opposed to an agency. When she spoke to them a couple of them were open to allowing pets.

She had the cat in her previous place, so her old landlord put in the reference that the cat hadn't done damage. It also helped that her cat is old, because kittens and young cats are way more likely to do damage by scratching etc. The landlord she went with said to her an older adult cat was no problem, but not a kitten. She also paid an additional 50% on top of the deposit for the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes - due to the attitude of not giving notice & factoring in with this absconding on the bills & not having to bother with an evaluation for possible damages - three up front is pretty standard nowadays.
    Has the incidence of "not giving notice & factoring in with this absconding on the bills & not having to bother with an evaluation for possible damages" increased recently?

Or is it just that there is so much pressure of demand that only now are tenants agreeing to three months?

You'd have a better chance with pets if you can contact the landlord directly. My sister in law is renting with a cat. Agencies were a straight up 'no' when she mentioned it, but then she found a couple of ads that were listed by the landlord as opposed to an agency. When she spoke to them a couple of them were open to allowing pets.

She had the cat in her previous place, so her old landlord put in the reference that the cat hadn't done damage. It also helped that her cat is old, because kittens and young cats are way more likely to do damage by scratching etc. The landlord she went with said to her an older adult cat was no problem, but not a kitten. She also paid an additional 50% on top of the deposit for the cat.

Any tips where to look ads posted by landlords and no agencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

http://smartproperty.ie/property/the-oaks-dundrum/

Would this suit. They don't say that they allow pets in this property but I know they allow dogs in other properties they let out.

I wouldnt even consider a person with pets even if they gave me a years deposit. The only small chance you have is if the cat lives outside all the time (and you can convince a LL of this) otherwise you have almost no chance of getting a place.

• Advertisement

The problem is for every family who have a cat/dog looking to rent, there will be 20 families with no pet also looking to rent, so for the landlord it's a very simple choice!

It is a landlords market. They can pick and choose who rents off them sadly.
    That doesn't make a lot of sense. There are good reasons for a landlord to accept pets, the principal one is that you have a captive market. Tenants are likely to tolerate a lower quality rental (or higher rent, however you look at it) in exchange for the right to keep their pet. Once they're in they'll probably stay longer, reducing void periods.

What you don't want is a cat in a property that has lots of carpets. My cats have destroyed several sets of carpets with scratching, particularly on stairs and at door thresholds.

OP: look for somewhere that has no carpets.

Lumen wrote: »
    That doesn't make a lot of sense. There are good reasons for a landlord to accept pets, the principal one is that you have a captive market. Tenants are likely to tolerate a lower quality rental (or higher rent, however you look at it) in exchange for the right to keep their pet. Once they're in they'll probably stay longer, reducing void periods.

What you don't want is a cat in a property that has lots of carpets. My cats have destroyed several sets of carpets with scratching, particularly on stairs and at door thresholds.

OP: look for somewhere that has no carpets.

You are guaranteed to find someone without pets to rent your place in the current market paying the same as someone with pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is one of the reasons why renting is not a long term option for many people and families in Ireland.

Something needs to change.

You are guaranteed to find someone without pets to rent your place in the current market paying the same as someone with pets.
    That's logically equivalent to stating that people place no value on keeping a pet, which is clearly nonsense.

This is one of the reasons why renting is not a long term option for many people and families in Ireland.

Something needs to change.

Mod note

Please don't try to derail the thread. This is about the OP's specific situation not renting in general.

That's logically equivalent to stating that people place no value on keeping a pet, which is clearly nonsense.

Some people might but plenty don't. Why anyone renting puts themselves through the massive additional hard ship of finding a place that allows pets is a big question though.

Some people might but plenty don't. Why anyone renting puts themselves through the massive additional hard ship of finding a place that allows pets is a big question though.
    People like pets. Ask someone with some humanity to explain it to you :pac:

People like pets. Ask someone with some humanity to explain it to you :pac:

You can like pets all you want but you are very foolish to have one unless you own your own property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

And now back to the op's query...

You may need to look a little away from Dundrum for the ideal property.

Stillorgan, leopardstown, kilmacud are nearby.

A couple of 2 beds are available in The Chase on brewery road (5min walk to luas), another beside Stillorgan sc.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/south-co-dublin/?s%5Bmxp%5D=2200&s%5Bmnb%5D=2&s%5Bmxb%5D=3&s%5Bignored_agents%5D%5B0%5D=5732&s%5Bignored_agents%5D%5B1%5D=428&s%5Bignored_agents%5D%5B2%5D=1551&searchSource=rental&offset=20

Cats in apartments would be an issue, but in a house, less so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

myhome.ie and daft.ie are the main sites.
    There is a Facebook group called familiesgoglobal and often when people are leaving their accommodation they will advertise it for their landlords.

Advertisement