Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City hybrid bike under €1,000

Options
  • 07-02-2017 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi Everyone,I'm looking to buy a decent city commuter Hybrid bike that comes in under the €1,000 cycle to work scheme.Bought a KTM mountain bike on the scheme five years ago and knew within 24 hrs that I'd made a mistake! I'm never off road and dont want a road bike either.Just want a hybrid for the weekends,cycling along the coast with my friends when were not running.Was hoping to buy a Trek FX only to be told by the dealer that they can't be ordered with optional disc brakes anymore.Another bike i really liked was the KTM Life Road (hydraulic disc brakes) which seems to be real quality but i can't find any reviews and it appears to be more of an in-between .IDoes anyone have ownership experience of this particular KTM Life Road model? Can anyone recommended a good city Hybrid bike that has disc brakes?

Would really appreciate a response to my post.

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I got last years http://cyclebike.ie/bike/cube-cross-black-flashgreen and I'm very happy with it.
    I originally wanted the http://cyclebike.ie/bike/cube-sl-road-race-black-flashgreen, but due to stock running out I couldn't get it and took the Cross as an alternative. I was a bit wary of having suspension, but I've been glad of it with the state of some of the roads in the city I've to cycle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kell1

PPC wrote: »
    I got last years http://cyclebike.ie/bike/cube-cross-black-flashgreen and I'm very happy with it.
    I originally wanted the http://cyclebike.ie/bike/cube-sl-road-race-black-flashgreen, but due to stock running out I couldn't get it and took the Cross as an alternative. I was a bit wary of having suspension, but I've been glad of it with the state of some of the roads in the city I've to cycle on.

Hi,that's a really nice bike and almost identical spec/looks to the KTM Life Road on my shortlist.The range of bikes out there is bewildering but that particular Cube model is definitely one I'll have to seriously consider.I really appreciate the fact that you've taken time out to reply to my post.

Many Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

kell1 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,I'm looking to buy a decent city commuter Hybrid bike that comes in under the €1,000 cycle to work scheme.Bought a KTM mountain bike on the scheme five years ago and knew within 24 hrs that I'd made a mistake! I'm never off road and dont want a road bike either.Just want a hybrid for the weekends,cycling along the coast with my friends when were not running.Was hoping to buy a Trek FX only to be told by the dealer that they can't be ordered with optional disc brakes anymore.Another bike i really liked was the KTM Life Road (hydraulic disc brakes) which seems to be real quality but i can't find any reviews and it appears to be more of an in-between .IDoes anyone have ownership experience of this particular KTM Life Road model? Can anyone recommended a good city Hybrid bike that has disc brakes?

Would really appreciate a response to my post.

Thank You

My daughter has a Trek 7.3FX and my brother in law has a 7.5FX. Both without disc brakes. I don't think you need disc brakes for the type of cycling you describe so I would go with the FX model you can afford.

I cycle almost exclusively in Dublin in all weathers and have never had a problem using standard good quality calliper brakes.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    My daughter has a Trek 7.3FX and my brother in law has a 7.5FX. Both without disc brakes. I don't think you need disc brakes for the type of cycling you describe so I would go with the FX model you can afford.

I cycle almost exclusively in Dublin in all weathers and have never had a problem using standard good quality calliper brakes.

Hi,it's a pity the Trek FX range isn't available with optional disc brakes anymore.Apparently there's a recall following a serious accident in the U.S and option suspended in September 2016.Anyway,I'm still searching but keep coming back to the Trek FX range!

Much Appreciated and Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I have been doing the rounds recently with similar requirements to you. I ended up buying a Giant Rapid 1, mainly because of the deal I got and the customer service from the shop. After looking at many different brands this is what I narrowed my search down to:

1. Giant Rapid - Rapid 2 fits your budget - availability is good
    2. Cube SL Road - SL Road Pro fits your budget - availability is good depending on size but no carbon fork (link shows women's frame but man's frame also available)
    3. Cannondale Quick - Quick 3 again fits budget - availability is poor until mid-March (at least in the size I was looking for)

All three have hydraulic disc brakes and reasonable groupsets. Next models up are better again from groupset perspective (Rapid 1, SL Road Race and Quick 1) but move outside your budget.

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »
    I have been doing the rounds recently with similar requirements to you. I ended up buying a Giant Rapid 1, mainly because of the deal I got and the customer service from the shop. After looking at many different brands this is what I narrowed my search down to:

1. Giant Rapid - Rapid 2 fits your budget - availability is good
    2. Cube SL Road - SL Road Pro fits your budget - availability is good depending on size but no carbon fork (link shows women's frame but man's frame also available)
    3. Cannondale Quick - Quick 3 again fits budget - availability is poor until mid-March (at least in the size I was looking for)

All three have hydraulic disc brakes and reasonable groupsets. Next models up are better again from groupset perspective (Rapid 1, SL Road Race and Quick 1) but move outside your budget.

That's three more for my list and I'll definitely have have a look at what's available.

Thanks a million!

That's three more for my list and I'll definitely have have a look at what's available.

Thanks a million!

Update : Bought a Trek Zektor 2 city bike which has hydraulic disc brakes.It's fast ,comfortable and exactly what i was looking for,cost a few euro short of the €1,000 allowance.

Thanks for all the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭billyhead

Update : Bought a Trek Zektor 2 city bike which has hydraulic disc brakes.It's fast ,comfortable and exactly what i was looking for,cost a few euro short of the €1,000 allowance.

Thanks for all the advice!

Where did you get it on the BTW scheme and how much did you ultimately pay for it?

Hi,bought it from Little Sport,Fairview.Had all but given up on finding the right bike,when the Trek Rep arrived with 2017 range sample.Cost €969 for basic model without extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

The Trek Zektor 2 is GBP675 + GBP40 delivery to Dublin on EvansCycles.com = EUR825

Had you considered importing, or does that not work on the Bike to Work scheme ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

Giant Roam, disk brakes and a front fork that has not much travel however makes good for bumpy roads. Only thing to advise, get a decent set of tires for the city as you do not want to use the knobbly ones, Conti Sport Contact or Schwalbe Marathons. I prefer the Roam over the Rapid as with a front fork you can also go on tours that do not have paved roads, like the Royal Canal way.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ie/bikes/model/roam.0.disc/28642/99401/

Advertisement