Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

few answers needed (deer hunting)

Options
  • 07-02-2017 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

hi folks,am going to try get into deer hunting next season,so need few answers,first what would be a light weight 243 to get,(good second hand would be fine to start off with)budget around a grand,will my 223 mod(hausken)do a 243 with same thread?,have a hawke varmint 6-24x44,would that do?oh and when should i apply for license,i already got an application form+landowners forms,but they are for 2016/17 season,so no good.,ps if successful in getting gun licence/deer license,ill be going out with a well seasoned stalker to learn the ropes;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RossiFan08

Rifle: I'll leave this to lads with more experience with a range of rifles

Scope: Will be OK when there is decent light, when the light starts to fade you'll begin to struggle. If you know a seasoned stalker compare your hawke against their scope. There is a big difference between high end scope and mid range at low light. A second hand scope is always another option.

Mod: it will depend what size the MOD is for. This should be written on the side of the hasken. If it's 25 or 30 cal you can fire ahead

Once you have this year's licence form you can apply when ever

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭DogfoxCork

mod caliber will be printed on the side. if its a .30cal mod it will be fine for a .243 it wont be if its a .22 cal mod.
    i understand the hausken mods are tight as they come but you can get them bored out to desired caliber

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

just checked.its .22 cal.......ah well can sell and upgrade when time comes.thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭DogfoxCork

sniperman wrote: »
    just checked.its .22 cal.......ah well can sell and upgrade when time comes.thanks lads.

you can just get it bored out to 30cal if its a hausken mod.

if not i have an ase utra 30 cal 1/2 unf if you want to swap!

DogfoxCork wrote: »
    you can just get it bored out to 30cal if its a hausken mod.

if not i have an ase utra 30 cal 1/2 unf if you want to swap!

thanks,but i want to get the summer out of my 223 and mod,the hausken is just a few weeks old yet,only about 20 shots through it.

• Advertisement

What's written on the MOD? I have a 30 cal hausken on my 223. If yours is a 30 cal mod you'll be able to use it on the 243

RossiFan08 wrote: »
    What's written on the MOD? I have a 30 cal hausken on my 223. If yours is a 30 cal mod you'll be able to use it on the 243

says .22 cal.

sniperman wrote: »
    RossiFan08 wrote: »

says .22 cal.
    Then you can only use it for 22 cal rifles (223, 22-250, 220 swift etc) and will need a bigger mod for your 243

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

DogfoxCork wrote: »
    you can get them bored out to desired caliber

Yup just get it drilled/bored out and you'll be able to use it on both rifles. Save you a few quid.

A second hand Tikka T3 hunter with a wooden stock would be my choice if I were in your position.

I'd start with whatever scope you have. Spend a season with it and see if you get on with it.

I'd apply for the deer license now. There have been delays the last two years with processing times so get yourself in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Vegeta wrote: »

I'd apply for the deer license now. There have been delays the last two years with processing times so get yourself in now.

If you apply and get it now, it will only be for 2016/17 season.

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »
    If you apply and get it now, it will only be for 2016/17 season.

ok,well when should 1 apply to be in with any sort of chance for the 2017/18 season?i can trade up the 223 for a 243 anytime,but was rather hoping to hold on to the 223 for a few months to get in a bit of practice with it being my first centerfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The renewals or applications will come out in a few months, trawl this forum for 'deer hunting license' and you'll see the dates. I just can't remember off the top of the skull now. But it's in the and around March I think.
    As soon as the applications etc happen get your paper work off ASAP especially if the land permission is new to the NPWS as they will have to make a decision on it. This can add to the delay. The processing of applications / renewals seem to be on a first in first out basis, I have yet had a delay in my license as I'd be gagging to get the paper work in as soon as the process starts.

If it was me and I was 100% sure about getting into stalking and was trading in my gun for .243 I would start the process as quickly as possible. If you can swing it then you've all summer to shoot fox with your new gun.

You could chance applying for a license now with 20 days of the season left and if and when you get a hunting license apply for the gun. Remember the license is valid up to Aug 2017. If you wait until you get the license for 17-18 you'll have to get a letter off the NPWS saying your going to be granted a license, this will only be done if and when they approve your permission. Otherwise the hunting license will, if timely processed, only reach you by August.
    Either way by waiting longer your diminishing the time your local Garda have to process your firearms paperwork. Even though it may be a substitution don't be betting on it to be a quick turn around. I missed last year's bird season substituting a shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

if this is a solely deer hunting rifle i wouldnt go .243.. id go something more powerful like 6.5x55 etc
    i had a .243 for stalking deer for 7 years and it just lacks that punch you need at times.. now using a 6.5x55 and cant fault it..

daithi55 wrote: »
    if this is a solely deer hunting rifle i wouldnt go .243.. id go something more powerful like 6.5x55 etc
    i had a .243 for stalking deer for 7 years and it just lacks that punch you need at times.. now using a 6.5x55 and cant fault it..

thanks,i would want to use it for fox as well when not out after deer,and between seasons,when and if i get into deer hunting,cant see me shooting loads,as one would last me a good while,and id hate to have a rifle there just locked in the safe when i could be after fox;)

Advertisement