Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allocate 4 Cycling Protest Department of Transport 22nd February 1pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

LpPepper wrote: »
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/huge-cycling-protest-urging-better-resources-to-descend-on-dail/

Meeting point: Department of Transport 12.45pm for 1pm start - cycle to the Dáil.

1pm on a Wednesday, seriously?

No one will be able to make that. It needs to be outside working hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when there's no one in the department?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

when there's no one in the department?

They'll all be out for lunch at that time too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

1pm on a Wednesday, seriously?

No one will be able to make that. It needs to be outside working hours.

Daylight issues were the main concern due to the time of year. The campaign has suggested there will be further protests later in the year and these will be in the evenings or at weekends.

Deedsie wrote: »
    I commend your efforts but a ridiculous decision on the time. I had definitely intended attending the next protest. Not much chance now, can't really head out of the office for a protest at lunchtime.

There are, and will be, other ways to get involved so don't despair. Please help to spread the word of the upcoming event whether you can be there yourself or not. Share the Facebook event if you use Facebook. Tick that you're 'Interested' even if you're not 'Going'. The official hashtag for the protest is #allocate4cycling so use that to engage with any Twitter conversations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

It would be great it cyclists didn't knock the protest just because the time doesn't suit them personally. There are enough people out there in the big bad world and on Boards threads too ready to denigrate cyclists and cycling. Was it Benjamin Franklin who is supposed to have said that we must all hang together or we will all hang separately? As Moflojo said there will be other protests during the year. Holdng one after office hours this time of year creates the issue of asking people to cycle in a group in the dark and get home afterwards. A weekend date means that many commuters are not in town with their bikes. Some people who work near the city centre will be free at lunchtime or have some flexibility over their hours. Others work shifts involving different hours/days so may well be free at lunchtime on a Wednesday. if you are not available wish them well as they protest on behalf of us all and as Moflojo says (and I don't know him/her) spread the word in person and on social media. BTW it's my understanding that the protest will be quite short to allow for the fact that people have to get back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Also, bring your lunch...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have to pick up the kids after school, and the eldest finishes at two pm, so the best I'll be able to do is make the very end of the protest. I'll try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'm going to try make it over in the limited time that my lunch-hour allows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Gave out a rake of leaflets for this to people passing through Terenure and environs today.

• Advertisement

There's a thread in AH about this now. Whereas I dont agree with some of the aspects of the campaign, I do of course want to encourage better facilities, better awareness from motorists and cyclists etc etc

Threads like that one are the sh!te that don't helpt.

http://www.boards.ie/thread/2057707756/1

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's a thread in AH about this now. Whereas I dont agree with some of the aspects of the campaign, I do of course want to encourage better facilities, better awareness from motorists and cyclists etc etc

Threads like that one are the sh!te that don't helpt.

http://www.boards.ie/thread/2057707756/1

Link broken - did it get canned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Four wheels bad, two wheels good?

It's more a case of bikes and public transport are far more efficient at transporting people in urban areas when compared to single occupancy cars. If you want to transport more people in and out of Dublin city centre your going to end up favouring stuff like bikes and buses.

You also need to have a joined up plan that links everything together including private motorists. But joined up thinking isn't something you'd associated with Dublin urban planning. I pity anyone who has no other option but to drive in the city centre.

Link broken - did it get canned?

Sorry on phone so I've messed up somewhere. It's still in that board though, just can't link

Real link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057707756

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I moved my lunch so I can run out for a while anyway.
    Well if Storm Doris delivers a decent downpour tomorrow why not nip out in swimming gear and complete your transition.....

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe lunchtime was the best time to pick:
    a brief, potentially disruptive, spell of weather imminent late Wednesday and early Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With the winds on tonights commute it might be a good idea to call it off, those gusts really arent great.

My original plan of picking up the kids from school and going along late is out, because it's actually mid-term break. They're in camp and a long way from the city centre, relatively speaking, and camp finishes at two. Not looking good for me.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    My original plan of picking up the kids from school and going along late is out, because it's actually mid-term break. They're in camp and a long way from the city centre, relatively speaking, and camp finishes at two. Not looking good for me.

Sounds like the perfect scenario for an ITT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I'm hoping to be there if the rain holds off (3 soakings on the bike in one day doesn't really appeal to me!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Was all set to go but can't get out of work now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tomasrojo wrote: »

I'll have to leave early too, but try to come along for some of it. Every little helps.

It's the other way round though; I have to work in the morning and I'm free in the afternoon, but it'll be nearly three by the time I get into town.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Feck all people there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Feck all people there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

godtabh wrote: »
    Feck all people there
    Looks like 5,000 the way protest crowds are calculated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Looks like 5,000 the way protest crowds are calculated

Or 5,000,000 the way inauguration crowds are calculated!

I was there, was a good crowd for a lunch time protest and the weather was poor.

Any organisers on here, thanks for organising it. Hopefully the message will get to the powers that be that change is needed.

The weather wasnt poor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I got there a bit late and it seemed to breaking up at that point but glad I made it anyway. Thanks to the organisers too. Would like to see something like a moving protest up the quays some evening at 5pm or something. It would certainly highlight the lack of safe cycling infrastructure on the Quays!

• Advertisement

What is your problem? It was a lunchtime protest. The weather was drizzly, some people wont want to go out and get wet and then go back into the office.

It wasnt a successful outing in my book an excuses like bad weather, lunch time doesnt sugar coat it.

Advertisement