Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allocate 4 Cycling Protest Department of Transport 22nd February 1pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I couldn't get to it. heard about it too late to change my plans. I know of no one (other than boardies) who even knew it was on today. They publicize these events very badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Weather was pretty nice, a tiny bit of soft mizzle and otherwise fresh and lovely. I wouldn't say feck all - maybe 200 to 250. Not the thousand or so that were out in October, but enough to stretch from Leeson Lane to Kildare Street in one bell-ringing group four or five abreast.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Lunchtime just doesn't work for a lot of people whether due to little time, meetings before or after, trouble to get there and back. Last one held after work time more successful - they should do it at that time again. (Went then, wasn't able today as meeting at lunchtime)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

beauf wrote: »
    I couldn't get to it. heard about it too late to change my plans. I know of no one (other than boardies) who even knew it was on today. They publicize these events very badly.

If you like Sticky Bottle or cyclist.ie on Facebook they'll keep you up to date :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Chuchote wrote: »
    Weather was pretty nice, a tiny bit of soft mizzle and otherwise fresh and lovely. I wouldn't say feck all - maybe 200 to 250. Not the thousand or so that were out in October, but enough to stretch from Leeson Lane to Kildare Street in one bell-ringing group four or five abreast.

Media are reporting several hundred attended

• Advertisement

If you like Sticky Bottle or cyclist.ie on Facebook they'll keep you up to date :)

I'm one of those weirdo's who rarely uses social media like face ache. Too much noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Didn't make the news front page on RTE.ie.

Need to step it up or cycle up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Andy Magic wrote: »
    Media are reporting several hundred attended

Not sure whether there was adept expectation handling, but the media anticipated a few hundred as well, so sounds as good as can be expected, given the time of day.

I just couldn't make it. The timings were all wrong. Will try hard to get to the next one. Especially if it's in the afternoon.

The Journal.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-cycling-protest-3252960-Feb2017/

I expect the Indo will either not cover it, or report some anti cycling agenda.

The Journal.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-cycling-protest-3252960-Feb2017/

Times, examiner, rte, independent or breaking news does not have it in the main viewing screen.

Tesco strike is though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

I'm one of those weirdo's who rarely uses social media like face ache. Too much noise.

HA Faceache, i love it. Fair enough, I guess that would make it more difficult to keep up to date. We'll have to start sending you updates by pigeon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

godtabh wrote:
    Feck all people there
    Well done all
    Deedsie wrote:
    What is your problem? It was a lunchtime protest. The weather was drizzly, some people wont want to go out and get wet and then go back into the office.
    Ah the Goldilocked keyboard warriors..
    beauf wrote:

Unless there's crustys, hoodies the ra or an ambulance to chase they won't even lift a pen these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Campain to make cycling safer - half the crowd photographed not wearing helmets :rolleyes:

Fair play to those who organised it

HA Faceache, i love it. Fair enough, I guess that would make it more difficult to keep up to date. We'll have to start sending you updates by pigeon :D

The problem with faceache is that there is no way to filter the crud from the useful. Even sites with good intentions, with not a lot of content tend to go the route of filler, on faceache. So you get hundreds of updates and buried in the middle is something useful. Not to mentions friends with way too much time on their hands.

Too much hassle.

Times, examiner, rte, independent or breaking news does not have it in the main viewing screen.

Tesco strike is though

‘Sexting’ now customary among young people, charity warns...

I can see why it was bumped....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Campain to make cycling safer - half the crowd photographed not wearing helmets :rolleyes:
    5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Yesterdayfm having a discussion on passing cyclists at 1.5m

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Campain to make cycling safer - half the crowd photographed not wearing helmets :rolleyes: Fair play to those who organised it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMv3OB6XHvQ

OMG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

For those who weren't able to make it to the protest today, but who still want to support the cause, there's a petition that you can sign here:

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/allocate-10-of-the-national-transport-budget-to-cycling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume a FG leadership contest will result in a reshuffle. would be interesting to see if leo, simon, or simon would leave ross in his seat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

i assume a FG leadership contest will result in a reshuffle. would be interesting to see if leo, simon, or simon would leave ross in his seat.

There's also the question of whether an FG leadership contest would leave FG in the driving seat… and considering that FF have come out against Ross's drink-driving policy

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ross-drink-driving-crackdown-to-be-blocked-by-fianna-f%C3%A1il-1.2984149

they wouldn't be a good alternative - never mind their vicious backing of an obviously unsustainable bank and construction bubble when they were last in power.

And Sinn Fein - well, to my mind, putting them in would be replacing lemmings with starving hyenas eager to spread the goodies to as many of their own clientele as possible… purely my gut instinct, that, mind…

Chuchote wrote: »
    There's also the question of whether an FG leadership contest would leave FG in the driving seat… and considering that FF have come out against Ross's drink-driving policy

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ross-drink-driving-crackdown-to-be-blocked-by-fianna-f%C3%A1il-1.2984149

they wouldn't be a good alternative - never mind their vicious backing of an obviously unsustainable bank and construction bubble when they were last in power.

And Sinn Fein - well, to my mind, putting them in would be replacing lemmings with starving hyenas eager to spread the goodies to as many of their own clientele as possible… purely my gut instinct, that, mind…

They will promise us the world and take our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

https://www.todayfm.com/The-Last-Word-with-Matt-Cooper

THE LAST WORD WITH MATT COOPER - WIDENING THE GAP BETWEEN MOTORISTS AND CYCLISTS

I thought it was a really good discussion, a refreshing change from Geoge Hook, Pat Kenny et al. Ciaran Cannon was excellent at explaining the thinking behind the Bill and good support from Damien O Tuama of cyclist.ie. the third guest from Institute of Advanced Motorists was ok but strayed off the point a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

qb123 wrote: »
    Lunchtime just doesn't work for a lot of people whether due to little time, meetings before or after, trouble to get there and back. Last one held after work time more successful - they should do it at that time again. (Went then, wasn't able today as meeting at lunchtime)
    Whatever time you choose won’t work for some people. It wasn’t possible to do an after-work protest given the light levels at this time of year. The other option was a weekend event, but that is a bigger deal for many people to get into town over the weekend.
    There will certainly be more, and the next one will probably be after work, as the evenings get brighter.
    Are you on the DCC mailing list? Or Facebook page? Or Twitter feed? Or Instagram page? It was publicised on all of those media fairly extensively over the last month. Leaflets were given to cyclists at key junctions every evening for the previous two weeks, and posters were put up in bike shops and other workplaces. How exactly would you expect the campaign to publicise it?
    godtabh wrote: »
    The weather wasnt poor
    It was drizzling rain on and off over lunchtime. Quite a few of the cyclists were in raingear.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Leaflets were given to cyclists at key junctions every evening for the previous two weeks.

I cycle through the city every day and never saw these being given out.

1bryan wrote: »

I run by alot of major junctions in town in the evening and saw no one handing anything out.

Outside my office is probably one of the most major junctions and no one was ever there during evening time

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

1bryan wrote: »
    I run by alot of major junctions in town in the evening and saw no one handing anything out.

Outside my office is probably one of the most major junctions and no one was ever there during evening time

Great, so will you be volunteering to help with distributing the leaflets for the next protest to improve the coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It was drizzling rain on and off over lunchtime. Quite a few of the cyclists were in raingear.

The rain had zero effect on my. I had my rain jacket just in case. Didn't really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

You need to change your username to anecdotal_runner.

I'm serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What junction is that?

Advertisement