Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi soldering station alternative?

Options
  • 07-02-2017 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering can anyone explain exactly what the electronics on this board are even doing / is it safe / would I be better off just buying a cheap soldering station or iron on ebay instead of this thing? (Station would be more preferable).

It seems to take forever to heat up (It apparently goes to 500C - I set it around "3.5" on the dial which should be 350ish since max is "5". It never really melts the solder properly and solder seems to stick to the iron rather than the wire / board. This could be due to the solder I know (working on getting some decent stuff and some flux). The tips are also screw in tips which I don't think I can get replacements of easily online.

Any advice on decent irons and/or stations for ~50euros or less would be appreciated. It doesn't have to be mains either. I generally do a lot of soldering capacitors & desoldering (Already have a solder sucker - getting some wick for that extra clean up).

Woodies/DID/Bradshaws/Homebase/Argos/Telfords/Halfords/Kellihers Electrical/EEW Electrical Wholesalers are all nearby.
    Online is also an option, obviously.

Thanks.

Comments

R2517061-02.jpg

This is my go-to. Never met an electric could hold a candle to it. I'd recommend buying the 1.2mm tip which isn't in the kit for fine work.
    Those tips lasted me the best part of a decade. I couldn't believe who poor the Aldi gas iron is. I turned a chisel tip into a crotchet hook in one day.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

R2517061-02.jpg

This is my go-to. Never met an electric could hold a candle to it. I'd recommend buying the 1.2mm tip which isn't in the kit for fine work.
    Those tips lasted me the best part of a decade. I couldn't believe who poor the Aldi gas iron is. I turned a chisel tip into a crotchet hook in one day.

Link

What's the powder used for? That seems like a really nice piece of kit alright. Might get that for my tool bag after an electric option. Problem is - I actually forgot to mention and only seen it reading up there on that.. I'll be needing it for a long while soldering. 90min total run time on that.. I could be soldering all day most days on and off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I had that exact gas powered one , was great but it died after a while. The catalytic mesh only lasts so long.

I have a proper mains one with temperature control now - got it from farnell. It does the 'legal' lead free solder no probs.

My first lasted 10 years light duty. I bought a loada cheapies after and found them all a waste of time so I bought another portasol/gas cat.

I like the no tether option.
    The mesh is replaceable with the tips.
    It runs about 60mins on it's tank then just refill with lighter gas (buthane).
    The "powder" is a sponge for cleaning the clinker off the tip.

What one did you get Steve? I had two bloody draper ones and they both went "walkies". I've heard that the battery powered ones are actually very good altogether (Not the USB powered). They heat up instantly and solder very well apparently?? I was looking up a good bit more about it and I'm considering a Hakko 936 clone. The only problem they seem to have is they're not calibrated right. But I could always calibrate it (Plus then i'd have the calibrater for when I get a portable iron as well).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Electronic-Soldering-Station-Temperature/dp/B00KBPN1ZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486566020&sr=8-1&keywords=936+station

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

That doesn't look half bad for the money.

I tried to find a link to mine but it seems it's not sold any more - fair enough, I have it nearly 15 years. Its a Weller EC1201 and has both tip temperature SV and PV on it, does up to 470C, used to use it 8 hrs a day at one point and never gave a bit of trouble.

That said, I probably paid a few hundred for it back then.

If I was soldering all day most days I'd splash out on a genuine hakko and a fume extractor.
    I don't think calibration is necessary. It either works or it doesn't, you get a feeling for it quickly the actual temperature is irrelevant.

PS. that's not a rework station it's a solder station. A rework is a refined directed hot air gun for SMD work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Does anyone know where to get a cheap genuine small tip for a Portasol Technic. The one I have is nearly wrecked and the burner gauze is almost gone. Been a really reliable iron for years but can't afford to buy a new one.

EBay or Radionics, depends on the model you have, there's two different thread pitches. Once you go down to 1.2mm the larger tips feel like a blunderbuss. I only use the large tips for high mass components.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

BoobeR I'd say you need to turn it up more if it's lead free solder you are using. I find the wick better for de soldering than the sucker.
    If this is on offer its not a bad shout...
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/60w-mains-lcd-solder-station-a55kj

BoobeR I'd say you need to turn it up more if it's lead free solder you are using. I find the wick better for de soldering than the sucker.
    If this is on offer its not a bad shout...
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/60w-mains-lcd-solder-station-a55kj

That's the same as the farnell one I linked, only 30 euro more expensive, because Maplin.

€54 more expensive if you buy it in Ireland..
    One for the price of two...because Maplin

:confused:

Works for me.

409038.jpg

If I was soldering all day most days I'd splash out on a genuine hakko and a fume extractor.
    I don't think calibration is necessary. It either works or it doesn't, you get a feeling for it quickly the actual temperature is irrelevant.

PS. that's not a rework station it's a solder station. A rework is a refined directed hot air gun for SMD work.

Yeah the wellers are great. Homebase near me do a handheld one. I dont have the cash atm though trying to removate. There's always an excuse eh hehe. I'll make a fume extractor they're simple to make. Same with helping hands. plenty of youtube vids on both. Ive looked a good bit about that iron ive posted it even takes hakko tips, its pretty much a chinese version of a hakko, I might go with that tbh and maybe either an electric or portasol for my bag. Any of you know if the draper portable is any good? As there's one in halfords for 20e

How exactly the current price of it invalidates it being a good option WHEN IT'S ON OFFER I just don't know?
    OK... let's just move on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ladies and gents I have had to delete a few posts to get this thread back on track, please keep it civil.

@ Special Circumstances: Take a few deep breaths before posting again.
    Life is too short to get that worked up. Thanks.

Mother of God.

eeguy wrote: »
    That's the same as the farnell one I linked,

Great soldering station I have to say.

Heats up faster than you can unravel the solder spool.
    Nice highly flexible silicone lead.

I never thought I'd go electric but this one certainly has some advantages. :D

I've tapped the secondary of the 24v (ish) transformer and routed it to a BNC on the faceplate.

This now powers my dual 24v fans as a solder fume distractor via a bridge rectifier.

428142.jpg

I also use it to test inverters and the line health with my scope because it's a 10x reduction isolation transformer.

428143.jpg

Cheers guys, good shout.

Always good have two irons when you can dual wield them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Tow

If you splashed out on a Metcal, it would justify the purchase of a Spectrum Analyzer to check its output :-)

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

I've actually bought a cheap one from banggood since it ended up being 5 euro as my other one broke .. I said **** it for a fiver how bad could it be. Turns out it's a great iron! I'm saving up some for one of those ts100? irons as it's usb charge or mains so great for portable or bench. Regarding the solder sucker and wick etc I find the wick absolutely useless even dipped in flux. I dunno tho if it's the right flux it's la-co stuff black tub but it at least says acid free so can't be too bad. Works alright for soldering but need smaller brush as it has one built into the cap. For pipe soldering? Also tried wellers own brand solder lead free and it's muck altogether. Got some decent very thin rosin core stuff and it's working a treat now. So surprised at the banggood iron though. Temp control on handle and replaceable long tips. Ceramic heater by looks of inside. Not those wire lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Tow

Solder wick is one of those things you get what you pay for. Even in China they splash out on Chemtronics, rather than use the local stuff. If your wick has flux try wetting it with IPA before use.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I use the cheap wick a lot. Some of it, which is suppose to be flux impregnated is terrible. However, reflowing the joint with a bit of lead solder and adding some liquid flux (cheap Chinese pen) to the wick and the solder can be removed easily. Or maybe I'm just lucky.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Lads anyone on here advise where I can get some good quality lead solder online.
    feel free to put up any links.

Only use the iron occasionally in work for repairs to valve heads and their pcbs and they stuff in the store lately is rubbish.

Thanks in advance

My trusty Weller died over the weekend so was looking for a replacement.. spend E350 -E400 on something decent or chance my arm on todays lidl one for E20.... ?

I bought 2 of them for the craic.

First impressions are temperature control is good, tip is crap, wire is big and not flexible like a weller but other than that it works well.

Also available in 12V.

389974.jpg

Just whack a diesel glow plug innit!

Yurp tips are junk they only last a few hours.

Yurp tips are junk they only last a few hours.
    Understatement.
    I went through a the 2 tips this week already.

You can nearly see them dissolve as you work. That said, I was using it 12 hrs / day... the controller and heater were well up for it but the nickel plating on the the tip was eaten in no time.

I bought the maplin / farnell one today and it's in a different league.

Steve wrote: »
    You can nearly see them dissolve as you work.

I thought tips turning into crochet hooks was a feature and trade secret? :confused:
    Steve wrote: »
    I bought the maplin / farnell one today and it's in a different league.

Yurp.
    There's a go-faster pot. inside. Keep the receipt. ;)

Advertisement