Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car rolled and towed, require advice.

• 07-02-2017 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I've been in a bit of an accident, mixture of slippy/poor road conditions, excessive speed, and poor visibility sent me into a roadside bank, that rolled my car 90º on the drivers side. Luckily, it was a relatively low impact collision that only damaged the car in front's side brake light housing, leaving nobody injured (two cars trying to get by on a narrow back road, didn't see them in time around the bend & ABS was of no help).

My car on the other hand, is entirely scratched/dented along its side with a dented bonnet from the impacted car in front (and potentially a bent arch between A & B pillars that left the drivers side window shattered). Windshield in tact, the undercarriage is in seemingly good shape, the car started and was functioning, and the airbags didn't deploy.

It was towed away to a designated location after the Gardai called'em. Gardai also took no information from me, just blocked the two ends of the road until it was cleared. I've exchanged insurance information with the afflicted party, but have yet to contact my insurance company. The situation occurred this afternoon, so it's still fresh.

My insurance premium is at +€1000, with +10y NCB - the car is only worth between €5-8K at its best. I have no idea what to do next.

Should I go through the hassle with the insurance company, do I have any choice to begin with since it's been towed? Can I just go and get it tomorrow from the location, and drive it off the site to my local garage (2-3km from the towed location)? Should I just pay for the damages to the other party from my own pocket and suffer the damages and/or scrap it altogether? I'm stuck, please advise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It depends entirely on what the other party wishes to do. If the damage to their car is relatively minor and they have no injuries then they may be willing to accept your offer to fix their car however they may develop 'whiplash' in the next day or so and decide to claim against your insurance in which case you may as well claim full repair/replacement for your own car which would most likely be written off if assessed by your insurance company. Like they say you may as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb as your going to loose you NCB anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 caoimhin1980

Most insurance companies will give you the option that if they have to pay out for damage caused to someone else's car that you can pay them the total amount back and you can keep your ncb intact.
    Collecting your car is as easy as going to get it but getting away with driving it damaged is another thing.

Advertisement