Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property sale agreed

• 07-02-2017 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, have seen a property which is sale agreed for almost 9 months. The estate agent just said it's sale agreed. I find it odd that it is this long sale agreed. Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Not normal, but not unheard of or even perhaps that uncommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

When I bought it was Sale Agreed for around that long because it was a receivership and took time to process. Probably happens more often than you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭kala85

How long does it take from sale agreed to moving into the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

kala85 wrote: »

A couple of weeks to more than a year. Six months seems a semi-reasonable guestimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

kala85 wrote: »

How long is a piece of string? Shortest I know of was 2 weeks, longest approaching 2 years. Anything and everything in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Ours was the quickest I know.. 4 weeks from sale agreed to moving in, well getting the keys, we gave ourselves an extra month of renting to have the house ready to move in, rather than painting with our furniture in the way or tripping over kitchen fitters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

athtrasna wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string? Shortest I know of was 2 weeks, longest approaching 2 years. Anything and everything in between.

Yikes!

I'm thinking repossessions or marital breakups or title issues/searches where there may be problems. I wouldn't wait that long to close personally. Who would!

But anyway. I reckon about two months in normal circumstances where both buyer and seller have everything in place at payment of deposit.

My mum is sale agreed now, and we wondered the same thing. But hopefully.....

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We were nearly 6 months during the boom, when that was really unusual. Turned out the couple we were buying off were getting a divorce and bickering over it. We only found this out when contracts finally arrived to our solicitor and there were 2 separate firms listed in it. They'd deliberately kept it from our solicitor and from us in case knowing it wasn't straightforward would have made us pull out.

At the minute from friends and family buying places the quickest I've seen recently was 8 weeks. Longest went sale agreed in November 2015, and at the last update were told they'd have the keys 2nd week in January. They're still not in.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

It took us 11 months from Sale Agreed to getting the keys, another 7 months after that before we could move in as the place needed a lot of work

The house was in probate, which can normally be done within 12 weeks but there were issues with missing documentation that dragged ours out a lot longer

I understand some people not being willing or able to wait that long but for the right house at the right price the patience can be found

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Things only go from Sale agreed to sold once contracts are signed.
    There could be a load of reasons what's stalling the contracts - legal issues, financial etc...
    Most likely both parties are happy if things are still going on that long.
    Often if one party isn't happy with the pace / or if they think closure may not happen, they'll pull out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 sauserd

I bought in 2014, I went sale agreed in January and didn't get the keys until August. It was a repossession and I think they usually do take longer.

Advertisement