Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a seasonality associated with new houses coming on the market

• 07-02-2017 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Is there a seasonality associated with new houses coming on the market..

Just looking for a house and I'm wondering does the time of the year affect how many houses will come onto the market.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

People are unlikely to be bothered at Xmas. There's seaonality to it, just not really sure what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭kala85

Wondering are some parts of the year busier than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Most builders wouldn't bother to put anything new on the market after October due to dark evenings and Christmas looming. There are quite a lot launching show houses over the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I think Spring/Summer seem to be when most houses come on the market. Its sunnier/houses and gardens look better etc in the summer.

Things die over xmas/New year. Nobody wants to move/have viewings then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It used to be the case that a lot of houses come onto the market in spring and close over the Summer months.

Not sure how accurate that is now, many years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

There is a very definite rise throughout the year with a spike in December. Here is data from the CSO

408639.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Not sure if my post was deleted, if it was not sure why. If you're looking at seasonality bear in mind there is something called the long vacation over the summer. You'll find it more difficult to close and consequently that may skew figures such as the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭kala85

Wondering about second hand houses rather than new builds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Re second hand property, any time of the year apart from high Summer or the Christmas period when the kids are on hols is my experience.

My mother put her house up for sale early January, it is sale agreed one week now.

Is that a record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

kala85 wrote: »
    Wondering about second hand houses rather than new builds.

Pretty much the same.

408644.png

Just noticed I can do this within CSO and don't need to export to Excel. Data is here: http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=HPM03&PLanguage=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My local market has a regular appearance of ex-rentals in May/June when a LL decides not to bother renting again - college town. There's going to be similar local factors elsewhere.

Advertisement