Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No health insurance. How.....

• 07-02-2017 8:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭

Have had a medical card for 15 years and just recently i started a new business and now earning an average wage just before the medical card runs out. Come March, I won't be entitled to a medical card because of my earnings. Now I'll need health insurance which I was going to sort but know nothing about it. Who's best to deal with and is it the same as any other insurance where its monthly payments etc....

One thing that's been worrying me! I've had blood tests these last few years and its keep coming back my liver isn't to healthy. My blood tests keep coming back its overworked(forget the exact term doctor used) but now tge doctor is looking at maybe getting an MRI scan if these last tests come back same in case its something worse.

Will this effect me going for insurance. Does the insurance company ask for my records before they accept any customers.

I'm worried in case I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place as in, no medical card and unable to get insurance or even massive insurance costs became I might have a potential sickness.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,012 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

shugy wrote: »
    Will this effect me going for insurance. Does the insurance company ask for my records before they accept any customers.

I'm worried in case I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place as in, no medical card and unable to get insurance or even massive insurance costs became I might have a potential sickness.

No, thats not how it works in Ireland, companies have to cover anyone who wants to take a policy.

But any health insurance you take will have a waiting period ( usually five years, longer in some cases) and you won't be covered for any pre existing conditions during that time. Also during the waiting period they wont decide whether something is covered or not until a claim is submitted. So health insurance really only is good for accidents in the first five years. No matter how much you pay.

Now this isn't so bad if you become really unwell - the public system will treat you for a maximum of €300 per year , and you just pay for GP consultation as you need it, usually about €50 per visit. Prescription drugs is where this can get expensive though.

However if you need elective treatment (ie for something which won't kill you) you can be on a very long waiting list, with no option but to wait. Its the same wait you'd face if you had a medical card though, so really you're no worse off than before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Have had a medical card for 15 years and just recently i started a new business and now earning an average wage just before the medical card runs out. Come March, I won't be entitled to a medical card because of my earnings. Now I'll need health insurance which I was going to sort but know nothing about it. W

I hope you don't think that ins is compulsory.

Many people do not have health insurance.

Bear in mind that all people since 1970 are entitled to public hosp care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

No, thats not how it works in Ireland, companies have to cover anyone who wants to take a policy.

But any health insurance you take will have a waiting period ( usually five years, longer in some cases) and you won't be covered for any pre existing conditions during that time. Also during the waiting period they wont decide whether something is covered or not until a claim is submitted. So health insurance really only is good for accidents in the first five years. No matter how much you pay.

Now this isn't so bad if you become really unwell - the public system will treat you for a maximum of €300 per year , and you just pay for GP consultation as you need it, usually about €50 per visit. Prescription drugs is where this can get expensive though.

However if you need elective treatment (ie for something which won't kill you) you can be on a very long waiting list, with no option but to wait. Its the same wait you'd face if you had a medical card though, so really you're no worse off than before.

I don't understand the 5 yr waiting list. This sounds ridiculous to me! Why pay for five years if not covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,590 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Geuze wrote: »

They also have to take a ticket and wait years for elective operations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

ted1 wrote: »

Does having private health insurance allow you to jump the queue over the public patients?

• Advertisement

I thought, if I'd no medical card or health insurance, then I wouldn't get looked atvor treated. Someone even mentioned I might have to pay 3k for an MRI scan if I don't have one or the other!

Does having private health insurance allow you to jump the queue over the public patients?

Yes.

That is the whole point of having it.

But isn't that the same as having a medical card! I am both British and Irish citizenship, can the UK help me if needed?

I don't understand the 5 yr waiting list. This sounds ridiculous to me! Why pay for five years if not covered.

It's just the previously existing condition which would not be covered.

It's to stop people from only getting insurance when they need it

I thought, if I'd no medical card or health insurance, then I wouldn't get looked atvor treated. Someone even mentioned I might have to pay 3k for an MRI scan if I don't have one or the other!

This is what I can't understand.

There are Irish people, living in Ireland, who somehow think that if you don't have a med card or health ins, then you will face big bills.

Where do they get these wrong ideas from??

Most healthcare is financed by taxes, everybody is covered.

Hosp care, paid for by your taxes, everybody is covered.

There are just a few charges, the rest is paid by taxes, billions of your taxes.

GP fees
    Drugs up to 144 pm
    AE fee = 100
    Overnight in hosp = 75

All the rest is paid by your taxes.

• Advertisement

But isn't that the same as having a medical card!

No.

Having a medical card just saves on GP fees, drug costs, AE fees.

Everybody, let me repeat again, everybody is entitled to hosp care.

Hosp care= 75pn, free if you have GMS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Waiting periods are applied to prevent people from getting sick and then taking out health insurance as a result. You will still be covered for new conditions after you take out the cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So that people don't start paying for health insurance the day after they discover that they have a issue that takes months or years to treat on the public system, that would be health assurance not insurance.

But isn't that the same as having a medical card! I am both British and Irish citizenship, can the UK help me if needed?

Okay, you may be foreign, that may explain your confusion with the Irish health system.

It is complicated!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

How would this work if you end up in hospital and say that you have health insurance and get the huge insurance bill then the insurance company says you are not covered, does the bill drop back to the public bill or are you stuck with the huge bill?

Yes.

That is the whole point of having it.

Are you skipping the queue for the operation or just for a scan?

Del2005 wrote: »
    How would this work if you end up in hospital and say that you have health insurance and get the huge insurance bill then the insurance company says you are not covered, does the bill drop back to the public bill or are you stuck with the huge bill?

Normally you would contact your insurance company before being admitted, and they will confirm cover,

Okay, you may be foreign, that may explain your confusion with the Irish health system.

It is complicated!!!!

Im 99.9% irish. I was 100% irish until i realised i might have a heath problem so if the brits can help me medically if i was to sell my soul and claim that 0.0000001% british, then ill do it

There's no difference between Irish and UK citizens in Ireland or the UK. With the Common Travel Area we aren't considered aliens in either country, so it won't make any difference

• Advertisement

I am self employed as a sole trader now and have been for 2& half years. Was on the BTEA for starting up my business but now im off it and doing ok with my business, my card runs out in march.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Depends on the level of cover.
    There's a lot of people out there who take out the basic level of health insurance that simply entitles them to what they were already entitled too in the public system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Geuze wrote:
    GP fees Drugs up to 144 pm AE fee = 100 Overnight in hosp = 75

Correct overnight in a hospital 75 euro to a maximum of 750 euro in a year no matter how long you need to stay ie greater than 10 nights which equals 750 euro. It's all about scaring people into to taking out private health insurance.

Normally you would contact your insurance company before being admitted, and they will confirm cover,

In an emergency situation you won't have time and they ask on admission.

You're in a different queue when you go private.

This is what I can't understand.

There are Irish people, living in Ireland, who somehow think that if you don't have a med card or health ins, then you will face big bills.

Where do they get these wrong ideas from??

Most healthcare is financed by taxes, everybody is covered.

Hosp care, paid for by your taxes, everybody is covered.

There are just a few charges, the rest is paid by taxes, billions of your taxes.

GP fees
    Drugs up to 144 pm
    AE fee = 100
    Overnight in hosp = 75

All the rest is paid by your taxes.

What about MRI/ct scans etc....

Del2005 wrote: »
    In an emergency situation you won't have time and they ask on admission.

Well in your original post you hypothetically told the hospital you have insurance. If you come in as an emergency, unable to talk they are obviously not going to send you to the private room if they are unable to confirm insurance cover, so you would be treated as a public patient. They will try to ascertain cover though

Depends on the level of cover.
    There's a lot of people out there who take out the basic level of health insurance that simply entitles them to what they were already entitled too in the public system.

So if you have a very expensive health plan will you jump above someone on the public system if you need a heart transplant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,590 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not jump the Queue but joins different shorter queue, most consultants and surgeons have private clinics where they see property care patients.

For elective surgeries you are talking about days and weeks as oppose to years in the public system.

Here's one example https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/public-patients-wait-up-to-25-times-longer-for-cancer-tests-1.2624303%3Fmode%3Damp?client=safari

• Advertisement

Not jump the Queue but joins different shorter queue, most consultants and surgeons have private clinics where they see property care patients.

For elective surgeries you are talking about days and weeks as oppose to years in the public system.

Here's one example https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/public-patients-wait-up-to-25-times-longer-for-cancer-tests-1.2624303%3Fmode%3Damp?client=safari

Couldn't you just pay for all those test privately if you ever did need them?

Rather than paying a couple of grand for health insurance every year.

Advertisement