Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

T. Barr Article

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Looks like he has been getting a good bit of media coverage over the past few days

https://www.balls.ie/athletics/thomas-barr-caroline-wozniacki-358096

https://www.balls.ie/olympics/thomas-barr-rte-sportsperson-of-the-year-358228

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/world-of-sport/revealed-thomas-barrs-training-diet-compared-eats-race-day/111820

https://www.iaaf.org/news/series/thomas-barr-ireland-400m-hurdles-rio

http://www.the42.ie/tom-barr-fitness-piece-3227879-Feb2017/

Might have something to do with her agent who seems to be doing a really good job at getting her athletes into the general media coverage outside of results.

Interestingly there was an article based on his agent recently enough

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/sinead-galvin-putting-irish-athletes-interests-first-1.2959794

(also has a bit of a loose connection to boards from back in the heyday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

It's always good to see athletes in niche sports getting some spotlight, especially if it comes outside of the month around the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,744 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I can understand why any coach (who is obviously investing a lot of time and commitment) would/could feel a little pi%%ed with Barr. Top level sport requires practically 100 percent focus. That doesn't mean you can't live a life outside of the sport, but it should mean that your choices outside of the sport are taken with consideration to your sport. If you want to do all these "risky" things that is fine. Do them, but maybe quit the athletics, or quit wasting coaches time, a lot of it probably spent worrying whether or not their star pupil will be fit to race.

The best athletes these days are machines. They are almost owned by their sport and their people....Everything they do is watched/recorded/monitored and approved. Get with the game or get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Barr is hardly wasting his coaches' time. He finished 4th in the OG.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Looks like he has been getting a good bit of media coverage over the past few days

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/world-of-sport/revealed-thomas-barrs-training-diet-compared-eats-race-day/111820

Might have something to do with her agent who seems to be doing a really good job at getting her athletes into the general media coverage outside of results.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/sinead-galvin-putting-irish-athletes-interests-first-1.2959794

Is it not to do with him being an ambassador for the rock n roll half marathon now?

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Barr is hardly wasting his coaches' time. He finished 4th in the OG.

I never mentioned his success. My post was more from a risk point of view. Behavioural point of view.

A coach needs to know that their athlete or prized possession is on the same page. It all needs to be in sync.

I would be no different in my view if this was Bolt. And Bolt is nothing but the best. But if I was his coach and he was risking his success and risking my success and efforts by engaging in activities that I was advising against I wouldn't be at all happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

walshb wrote: »
    I never mentioned his success. My post was more from a risk point of view. Behavioural point of view.

A coach needs to know that their athlete or prized possession is on the same page. It all needs to be in sync.

I would be no different in my view if this was Bolt. And Bolt is nothing but the best. But if I was his coach and he was risking his success and risking my success and efforts by engaging in activities that I was advising against I wouldn't be at all happy.

Everyone's different! Maybe his coach knows him well and feels he runs better if allowed to relax and engage in other hobbies?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Everyone's different! Maybe his coach knows him well and feels he runs better if allowed to relax and engage in other hobbies?

Ok, well then the article seems a little misleading. The title reads how he leaves his coaches exasperated...

BTW, no matter how well he is running (when fit to run) surely a coach can't be happy with an athlete engaging is activities that carry quite the risk of injury. Sure, if nothing happens all is fine. But that was not my point. It's the potential risk Barr is putting himself in that would exasperate (as the title reads) a coach. That is my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

HelenAnne wrote: »

possibly relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Lougheee

You mention Bolt. April 2009 - Usain Bolt lost control of his car, driving barefoot in wet conditions in Kingston, Jamaica. His car flipped and ended up overturned in a ditch. June 2012 - Bolt crashed his car again on his way home from a night out. Is that less of a risk than Thomas Barr rooting through his shed? Can we even assess the risks Thomas Barr takes every week? How often does he risk ending his career by drifting cars? Every day? Is it once a week? Surely, Thomas Barr's decisions are his own. His diligent behaviour and relaxed attitude to the 400m hurdles has gotten him to 4th in Rio, why would he change? Do you honestly think "advising against" this attitude would increase performance levels? I'd say it would push an athlete away from the sport. More to life than athletics.

• Advertisement

Lougheee wrote: »
    You mention Bolt. April 2009 - Usain Bolt lost control of his car, driving barefoot in wet conditions in Kingston, Jamaica. His car flipped and ended up overturned in a ditch. June 2012 - Bolt crashed his car again on his way home from a night out. Is that less of a risk than Thomas Barr rooting through his shed? Can we even assess the risks Thomas Barr takes every week? How often does he risk ending his career by drifting cars? Every day? Is it once a week? Surely, Thomas Barr's decisions are his own. His diligent behaviour and relaxed attitude to the 400m hurdles has gotten him to 4th in Rio, why would he change? Do you honestly think "advising against" this attitude would increase performance levels? I'd say it would push an athlete away from the sport. More to life than athletics.

My points have little to do with performance or success. The article is fairly clear. It highlights Barr's lifestyle choices that worry/exasperate his coach.

If one wanted to discuss performance, then I wonder how much faster Barr may go if he spent less time on extracurricular activities and more time on preparing for and mastering a very difficult discipline. Just throwing that out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

My points have little to do with performance or success. The article is fairly clear. It highlights Barr's lifestyle choices that worry/exasperate his coach.

If one wanted to discuss performance, then I wonder how much faster Barr may go if he spent less time on extracurricular activities and more time on preparing for and mastering a very difficult discipline. Just throwing that out there.

Total BS from the troll as usual. Where did his coaches say they were worried?
    Of course he should spend more time preparing for his event and then he would be an Olympic medalist. How could he have missed that it's so obvious.
    Your points have little to do with performance or success just throwing bs.

Ok, well then the article seems a little misleading. The title reads how he leaves his coaches exasperated...

BTW, no matter how well he is running (when fit to run) surely a coach can't be happy with an athlete engaging is activities that carry quite the risk of injury. Sure, if nothing happens all is fine. But that was not my point. It's the potential risk Barr is putting himself in that would exasperate (as the title reads) a coach. That is my point.

Try reading more than the headline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If one wanted to discuss performance, then I wonder how much faster Barr may go if he spent less time on extracurricular activities and more time on preparing for and mastering a very difficult discipline.

Oh surely. He would have run sub 46 if only he concentrated a little more on his training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

How many hours do you reckon athletes should train in the day? I recall Derval O'Rourke talking about how she always liked to study or have a part-time job as an athlete, otherwise the tedium of all the hours between sessions would bore her to death. I actually think it's far easier to argue that Barr's "extra curricular" activities facilitate rather than hinder performance, in that they keep him mentally fresh and take his mind off the obsession of chasing world and olympic glory. Personally, think his attitude is great and not a bad example for any kids hoping to follow in his footsteps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Lads 30k posts. Stop feeding the poor lads hes an addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

How many hours do you reckon athletes should train in the day? I recall Derval O'Rourke talking about how she always liked to study or have a part-time job as an athlete, otherwise the tedium of all the hours between sessions would bore her to death. I actually think it's far easier to argue that Barr's "extra curricular" activities facilitate rather than hinder performance, in that they keep him mentally fresh and take his mind off the obsession of chasing world and olympic glory. Personally, think his attitude is great and not a bad example for any kids hoping to follow in his footsteps.

Big difference between the head in a book and tearing around in a rally car.
    A lot easier jumping over hurdles with a paper cut as opposed to wearing a neck brace.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Joe, there is no set number of hours that an athlete should train. Barr came within a metre or less of a bronze in Rio. These disciplines and athletes are separated by very small margins. Maybe Barr has more to give. Only he knows that. I wonder if a different approach could show us that "more." He seems to have a laid back approach. That's fine. But is he laid back in the sense that he isn't producing his absolute best? Break down the hours in a week or month or year and are there areas and hours that he is not availing of?

Btw, I wonder does his coach ever think about what effect these other activities have on Barr's body. On the slopes, racing cars etc? In a world where millimetres can separate winners and losers these are the things that smart coaches should think about. Really, top class athletes should be saving all their needed energy for their discipline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

He's a sensible lad, otherwise he wouldnt have got this far. I'm sure he doesnt put himself in any real danger

I see what you're saying walshb, but you can say the same about any athlete, any set-up. His coaching team have got him this far despite a few set-backs, so they must be doing something right. I'm sure they've asked thesmelves the same questions you're asking here. Do you think they're completely naive or stupid?

He says he won't be competing until May, do you expect him to be cooped up for the next 3 months, obsessing about the season, refusing to leave the house when he isn't training in case he stubs his toe off a kerb or picks up germs from passers by? Maybe a year out from the Olympics there's a case for shutting everything else out, but not now. He should continue doing what makes him happy, within reason of course, because that will help him be a better athlete.

It's not like he's haring down the slopes like Franz Klammer or racing boy racers around garage forecourts anyway. He's just doing stuff that keeps him fresh and mentally alert, with the full approval of his coaches no doubt.

• Advertisement

Great to see our top athlete getting positive coverage. Fair play to the team behind him.

I see what you're saying walshb, but you can say the same about any athlete, any set-up. His coaching team have got him this far despite a few set-backs, so they must be doing something right. I'm sure they've asked thesmelves the same questions you're asking here. Do you think they're completely naive or stupid?

He says he won't be competing until May, do you expect him to be cooped up for the next 3 months, obsessing about the season, refusing to leave the house when he isn't training in case he stubs his toe off a kerb or picks up germs from passers by? Maybe a year out from the Olympics there's a case for shutting everything else out, but not now. He should continue doing what makes him happy, within reason of course, because that will help him be a better athlete.

It's not like he's haring down the slopes like Franz Klammer or racing boy racers around garage forecourts anyway. He's just doing stuff that keeps him fresh and mentally alert, with the full approval of his coaches no doubt.

Well, if it's all fine and dandy then the article is a waste of time. The headline seems exaggerated I guess.

As to this: "It's not like he's haring down the slopes like Franz Klammer." Well, of course not. He's a hurdler, not a downhill skier....I guess that says a lot. Stick to the hurdling.

If he is getting the full approval of his coaches, great. The headline doesn't seem to imply that.

Okay, I dont honestly know if full approval is the case, guess i'm only assuming that. The headline is misleading because there is no indication in the piece one way or the other. But if that's the kind of guy he is, I'd be inclined to say fair enough, I wouldn't be trying to change him just for the sake of it, to turn him into something he isn't. That would seem counter productive to me.

Guess the journo just needed to ask the basic question: what do your coaches think of your extraneous hobbies? Probably the answer would be along the lines, oh they get a bit worried sometimes, always telling me to mind myself, but they're happy enough really, they'd rather i was taking the odd risk or two and be happy than to give everything up and be miserable. Etc, etc.....

You can be happy and laid back and still be determinedly focussed at the same time. They're not mutually exclusive positions.

You can be happy and laid back and still be determinedly focussed at the same time. They're not mutually exclusive positions.

Nobody said otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

His extra curricular activities haven't made much impact it would seem post Rio as he set a European Indoor qualifier in indoor 400m (flat) on Friday with a 46.87 (fastest Irishman this season and IUAA record) and followed it up with a 21.88 for second in the 200m 90 min later (his 4th race of the day with heats)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I can understand why any coach (who is obviously investing a lot of time and commitment) would/could feel a little pi%%ed with Barr. Top level sport requires practically 100 percent focus. That doesn't mean you can't live a life outside of the sport, but it should mean that your choices outside of the sport are taken with consideration to your sport. If you want to do all these "risky" things that is fine. Do them, but maybe quit the athletics, or quit wasting coaches time, a lot of it probably spent worrying whether or not their star pupil will be fit to race.

The best athletes these days are machines. They are almost owned by their sport and their people....Everything they do is watched/recorded/monitored and approved. Get with the game or get out.

I suppose you would of had the same advice for Bolt!!!!!!!!! Oh wait he won loads of medals, records etc and still lived a great life outside the sport!!!!!

I suppose you would of had the same advice for Bolt!!!!!!!!! Oh wait he won loads of medals, records etc and still lived a great life outside the sport!!!!!

Yes. Bolt and Barr are so comparable as regards talent and superiority and dominance and results.

That's a really silly comparison you made just there...

Bolt is a once in a lifetime "sports star." Barr is ten a penny in his own discipline.

Yes. Bolt and Barr are so comparable as regards talent and superiority and dominance and results.

Bolt is a once in a lifetime "sports star." Barr is ten a penny in his own discipline.

No its not, you said the following:
    "I can understand why any coach (who is obviously investing a lot of time and commitment) would/could feel a little pi%%ed with Barr. Top level sport requires practically 100 percent focus. That doesn't mean you can't live a life outside of the sport, but it should mean that your choices outside of the sport are taken with consideration to your sport. If you want to do all these "risky" things that is fine. Do them, but maybe quit the athletics, or quit wasting coaches time, a lot of it probably spent worrying whether or not their star pupil will be fit to race. "

You were talking about all athletes here, but now your making an exception for Bolt. Was he always a 100% focus, did he take risks outside the sport?

Going by your statement, Bolt should of quit the sport instead of winning the gold medals that he did win!!

• Advertisement

No its not, you said the following:
    "I can understand why any coach (who is obviously investing a lot of time and commitment) would/could feel a little pi%%ed with Barr. Top level sport requires practically 100 percent focus. That doesn't mean you can't live a life outside of the sport, but it should mean that your choices outside of the sport are taken with consideration to your sport. If you want to do all these "risky" things that is fine. Do them, but maybe quit the athletics, or quit wasting coaches time, a lot of it probably spent worrying whether or not their star pupil will be fit to race. "

You were talking about all athletes here, but now your making an exception for Bolt. Was he always a 100% focus, did he take risks outside the sport?

Going by your statement, Bolt should of quit the sport instead of winning the gold medals that he did win!!

Eh, you brought Bolt into it...

But, yes, even Bolt had to put the work in.....

Let's not pretend that ALL athletes need to put the same effort and training in.....

Talent and natural ability are huge factors.

Bolt could sit on his arse from one end of the week to the next and still beat almost anyone over 100 and 200 on earth.

Barr is not even remotely close to this type of ability, hence he needs to think that bit harder on his lifestyle choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

To be fair after Rio he was 42nd fastest man in history, higher than any other Irish person in a Championship event in the all time rankings. Might have dropped 1 place or so since. I haven’t checked.

He’s no Bolt. He’s not ten a penny though. Not many have run sub 48.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Let's not pretend that ALL athletes need to put the same effort and training in.....

Bolt could sit on his arse from one end of the week to the next and still beat almost anyone over 100 and 200 on earth.

Barr is not even remotely close to this type of ability, hence he needs to think that bit harder on his lifestyle choices.

The reason why some people compete well is because they have a life outside athletics. Some people work well under the tunnel vision mentality, others need distractions. You are unlikely to run well if not happy in life. Obviously ridiculous risks should be eliminated, but they can’t be wrapping themselves in cotton wool either.

It’s a myth that Bolt didn’t train hard btw. He trained damn hard.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    To be fair after Rio he was 42nd fastest man in history, higher than any other Irish person in a Championship event in the all time rankings. Might have dropped 1 place or so since. I haven’t checked.

He’s no Bolt. He’s not ten a penny though. Not many have run sub 48.

Compared to Bolt he absolutely is ten a penny...

Yes, I am well aware of him being 43rd fastest person in history...

Your the one that said practically a 100%

Your the one that said practically a 100%

You are confusing yourself.

I never said all athletes are the same.

I did say practically all put in hard work...and top level sport requires practically 100 percent focus. But not for all. That is the point. A Barr would need more focus and hard work to get close to 48 compared to an Ed Moses or Kevin Young, because a little thing called natural ability plays its part.

Now, for a Moses to run low 47s he would need to put in very similar effort to a Barr trying to run low 48s

Bolt included. And other natural greats included...Bolt to run low 10s does not need the same focus and effort as he does to run sub 9.9 or 9.8..

To suggest that ALL put the same effort and hard work in, or need to, is off the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Lads 30k posts. Stop feeding the poor lads hes an addict.

11 months on, this post is still applicable.

Advertisement