Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handbrake has no tension

• 07-02-2017 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Just parked my Mk 1 Ford Focus, and I don't know if I pulled the handbrake up too aggressively or what, but now there is no tension on the handbrake at all.

If I pull it all the way up it will engage, anything less and the car rolls.

I did a quick google and it suggests if the handbrake engages when fully up, the cable isn't snapped but may just be loose?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Sounds like there is an issue with the handbrake cable or brake shoes on one side. If the latter it won't just affect the handbrake but the footbrake as well.

Jack the car up on each side and try to turn each wheel individually by hand with the handbrake on. Also jam the brake pedal on with a stick and try turning each rear wheel individually by hand and see if there is a difference in the resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 peterallen

Thanks, will give that a go in the morning.

Am a novice with cars, so just to be clear....does this mean if both wheels are locked (with handbrake on, and again with brake pedal depressed) it's probably the handbrake cable? And if one wheel is locked but the other side spinning it's a shoe problem?

Okay, I took it to a garage and they told me the handbrake cable is snapped at the rear-right tyre. The handbrake is still locking the left-rear tyre.

They pointed out also that there is a good bit of rust on the undercarriage and it might fail the NCT. The NCT is due shortly so I would like to see that it passes the rust test before spending money on the handbrake.

My question is, will they allow me to take the NCT test if I pull in there with a car with a faulty handbrake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

peterallen wrote: »
    Okay, I took it to a garage and they told me the handbrake cable is snapped at the rear-right tyre. The handbrake is still locking the left-rear tyre.

They pointed out also that there is a good bit of rust on the undercarriage and it might fail the NCT. The NCT is due shortly so I would like to see that it passes the rust test before spending money on the handbrake.

My question is, will they allow me to take the NCT test if I pull in there with a car with a faulty handbrake?

Yes you could bring in but mark 1 do rust quite bad so will be an issue. Why not sort rust and handbrake if you want to keep or else scrap it and get something else.

I'm just worried that the rust repair would run a big bill? Just after putting €500 into it before xmas (wish that mechanic had pointed out the rust problem at that time!) and I don't feel like throwing several hundred more at it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

If you fail to inform the testers, you run the risk of someone getting injured if the handbrake fails fully during the brake test. They will notice the loose handbrake anyway and fail your car.

degsie wrote: »
    If you fail to inform the testers, you run the risk of someone getting injured if the handbrake fails fully during the brake test. They will notice the loose handbrake anyway and fail your car.

Yea, I would inform them of course. Just wondering if they'd even put it through the test then, knowing that it was already a fail?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yea, I would inform them of course. Just wondering if they'd even put it through the test then, knowing that it was already a fail?

Forget about them putting it in, why on earth would you put it in for the NCT when its going to fail?
    Also are you still driving this car around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Yeah they'll test the other stuff no problem. I recently sent a car through with a fcuked handbrake. Be grand, they test cars with broken parts all day every day.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Forget about them putting it in, why on earth would you put it in for the NCT when its going to fail?
    Also are you still driving this car around?

Only drove it a mile up the road to a mechanic today. Putting it in because I want to know how much it's going to cost me to get it to pass the NCT, beyond the €120 for the handbrake fix. €120 i'll suffer, but not if it's followed up with another big bill for rust repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Only drove it a mile up the road to a mechanic today. Putting it in because I want to know how much it's going to cost me to get it to pass the NCT, beyond the €120 for the handbrake fix. €120 i'll suffer, but not if it's followed up with another big bill for rust repairs.

Get the brakes done and put it through. No point in treating the rust until they say there is a problem with it tbh. Just if you are driving the car without the handbrake fixed make sure to throw her in gear when parked.

Well I took it to another place for 2nd opinion, and again was told that it's unlikely to pass the NCT, and the cost of repair would be more than the car is worth. The car is running perfectly otherwise, so it's fairly frustrating.

The NCT is out in June. If I put it in for an early NCT and it failed and was apparent that it's too expensive a fix, will they still allow me to drive it until June? They won't take my existing cert off me if they say the rust makes it unroadworthy?

In the case it doesn't pass, is it sellable? (Obviously being upfront about the rust on the advert). Or is the only option then to sell it to a scrap yard for €20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

NCT is meant to keep deathtraps off the road, so have a long hard think about keeping the car or selling it on where there are potential hazards involved.

degsie wrote: »
    NCT is meant to keep deathtraps off the road, so have a long hard think about keeping the car or selling it on where there are potential hazards involved.

Of course, both mechanics have ensured me that it's perfectly safe to drive at the moment, but it's likely going to fail the NCT when the time come.

As for selling it, as I say I intend to be very upfront about the issue, and would be selling it on the presumption they'd get the problem taken care of themselves, which they would have to do anyway to get the NCT renewed.

Just trying to establish if it's actually worth anything in the event it fails and I want to sell it, or if it's a scrapyard job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement