Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway from Dublin to Sligo Needed Badly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Looks like we've to wait an bit longer before they sort out that clusterf??k between the lights and the Topaz station.
    N4/N15 Urban Improvement €470,000
    Following on from the N4 Hughes Bridge Widening Scheme this is the next section being developed commencing at the northern end of the Hughes Bridge Widening Scheme and finishing north of the Rosses Point junction. It will include upgrading the National primary to north of the Rosses Point junction, along with upgrading the Rosses point , Duck Street and Markievicz Road Junctions. The Copper River Bridge will also be upgraded as part of the works. We will be ready to go to Tender for construction of this Scheme in mid-2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

sligojoek wrote: »
    Looks like we've to wait an bit longer before they sort out that clusterf??k between the lights and the Topaz station.

Well at least we will have pavements made out of gold slabs.. (hopefully that's poorly worded or a misunderstanding on my part).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I (maybe optimistically) took the reference to North of Rosses Point rd and He Copper River Bridge upgrade to mean they’d be dealing with all until it merged to one lane

I'd like to see what they hope to do. At the minute it's a wonder there's not an accident a day there. People zoom away in the right hand lane, only to be faced with hitting an island or going sideways into the traffic on the left. I'd love to have the time to sit there for a few hours and film the carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I'd like to see what they hope to do. At the minute it's a wonder there's not an accident a day there. People zoom away in the right hand lane, only to be faced with hitting an island or going sideways into the traffic on the left. I'd love to have the time to sit there for a few hours and film the carry on.

All it needs it proper signage as a short-term fix to improve things greatly.
    Standards rules of the road everywhere in the country is drive on the left unless overtaking, and when 2 lanes merge into 1 the overtaking lane is supposed to merge back into the driving lane.

Some proper advance signage that there’s a merge coming up is the biggest thing lacking there

• Advertisement

People who know the road stay left. I've seen cars zooming up there thinking it's an overtaking lane only to find out it ends very abruptly . . I've seen three or four cars in a row doing 60k or more only to find out they all have to come to an abrupt stop all of a sudden and hope someone lets them in. With the result traffic behind all has to slow down to accommodate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Most who use the right hand lane are just queue jumpers trying to get to Mullens 5 seconds early!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

The N16 could definitely do with those improvements, it's the only road I've driven that my daughter gets travel-sick. Unfortunately from the TII site it looks like the rest of the planned upgrades on that road are still suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

7 years of driving, all times of day and night, never had a problem at the merge between Rosses Point Junction, and the Topaz. Nearly every encounter people take it in turns to merge at a steady place.

But I do admit to be one of them right hand lane drivers there, mainly because I hate getting stuck behind a bus, truck, or a micra, who can't accelerate away, and/or with the climbing lane coming up, or when Mullans have a fresh batch of Sausage Rolls on.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    7 years of driving, all times of day and night, never had a problem at the merge between Rosses Point Junction, and the Topaz. Nearly every encounter people take it in turns to merge at a steady place.

But I do admit to be one of them right hand lane drivers there, mainly because I hate getting stuck behind a bus, truck, or a micra, who can't accelerate away, and/or with the climbing lane coming up, or when Mullans have a fresh batch of Sausage Rolls on.

:D

nah mate - Sausage & Mustard lattice is the way to go ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

red sean wrote: »
    Most who use the right hand lane are just queue jumpers trying to get to Mullens 5 seconds early!

This, it's not the only place I've seen with a merge lane from the right hand side, and most people know that, the amount of times I've seen guys blow down the right hand side to get in front of a car is unreal, considering they're either turning into one of the filling stations, or turning right for the IT/Ballinode/Rathbraughan.

Even if they're heading straight, there's an overtaking lane on the hill after Hendersons anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

And from time to time Garda Speed Camera Van waiting;)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

marvin80 wrote: »
    On a side-note:
    "Irish fast food chain Supermac's are planning to create up to 80 new jobs in Longford town through the development of a multi million euro service station"

If they build the motorway/high quality dual carriageway along the original planned route, Supermacs are building this service station just off one of the exits near Longford town.
    This exit will be used by people from the Mayo/Roscommon side as well - great foresight by Supermac's!!

This sounds like Mullingar to Longford bit is going to end at the new Westport roundabout pity they could not keep going the extra few KM and link up with the Dromard dual carriageway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Well lads, said I'd post in here too.

As part of the 2018 TII allocations, the following schemes have been reactived.

N4 Mullingar-Roosky
    N4 Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod
    N17 Knock-Tobercurry
    N17 Tobercurry-Collooney

When built, likely as part of Leo Varadkar's Capital Plan, we will have continuous dual carriageway from north of Carrick to the M50, and from Collooney to Knock. Remember as well that the Collooney-Castlebaldwin scheme is starting in 2018, meaning the route to Dublin will be all dual carriageway bar Castlebaldwin-Carrick, which is much shorter than the current gap and is quite a good road.

marno21 wrote: »
    Well lads, said I'd post in here too.

As part of the 2018 TII allocations, the following schemes have been reactived.

N4 Mullingar-Roosky
    N4 Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod
    N17 Knock-Tobercurry
    N17 Tobercurry-Collooney

When built, likely as part of Leo Varadkar's Capital Plan, we will have continuous dual carriageway from north of Carrick to the M50, and from Collooney to Knock. Remember as well that the Collooney-Castlebaldwin scheme is starting in 2018, meaning the route to Dublin will be all dual carriageway bar Castlebaldwin-Carrick, which is much shorter than the current gap and is quite a good road.

At last! I've consistently argued that the infrastructure around this part of the country had to be vastly improved before jobs and shops etc would improve.

I did think that it would happen once we had a leader of the country from this site of the country... LOL 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Any update on the above roadworks?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Not read anything on the those roads mentioned but there was news about the possibility for work starting soon on the WDR
    https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/01/16/hopes-work-will-start-soon-on-wdr-in-sligo-after-e11m-allocation/

I hope there's money in the budget to resurface the roads in town after all these water works though. It's an absolute disgrace. Twice now I must have nearly cracked an alloy when the holes in the road.

When they removed the bollards at the pedestrian crossing opposite the Glass house they never filled in the holes they left for a day or two afterwards and I was driving down by it at night and could have messed up my tyres.
    Then down Wine street and there were more huge holes that you can't see at night. And the junction just across bridge street going onto Rockwood Parade /Thomas street is a mess with water hole covers and sunken road surface.

on an aside note my wife had to go to Cork last week from Sligo something like 7hrs trip there one way - thanks to their being no motorways on this side of the country. mad that you can fly to UK in 50minutes and 7 hours travelling to get from Sligo to Cork!

this map says it all (welcome to the forgotten west):

DMNaGL4X0AAW4Jd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

on an aside note my wife had to go to Cork last week from Sligo something like 7hrs trip there one way - thanks to their being no motorways on this side of the country.
    Did she walk?!? :confused:

It's under 4 hours with the motorway from Tuam.

Basq wrote: »
    Did she walk?!? :confused:

It's under 4 hours with the motorway from Tuam.

no, train - train to dublin. then dublin to cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

A new motorway won't make the train journey any shorter..

Basq wrote: »
    A new motorway won't make the train journey any shorter..

think if there were a motorway all/most of the way she would have driven it instead.

4 hours you say? - not too bad if thats true i suppose. Where are you measuring 4hrs from though Tuam to Cork .. or Sligo to Cork via Tuam?

That journey time is because you choose the train. Even before the M17/18 extension you could drive it in about 5-5 1/2 hours via the Limerick Tunnel, and thats stopping twice for a stretch. As Basq says, about 4 now.

think if there were a motorway all/most of the way she would have driven it instead.

4 hours you say? - not too bad if thats true i suppose. Where are you measuring 4hrs from though Tuam to Cork .. or Sligo to Cork via Tuam?

Am guessing thats Sligo to Cork. Its now motorway from Tuam to the Limerick Tunnel, with Motorway/HQDC to about half way to Charleville after the tunnel, if memory serves correct.

I did it in 5-5 1/2 prior to the opening of the M17 Tuam to the M6 Junction (just outside Galway City) opening. Should add, that journey time, was going past Middleton, east of Cork City.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

M/N4 Mullingar to Longford is in the Capital Plan.

N4 Collooney-Castlebaldwin is starting this year.

The only gap that requires extensive work is Carrick on Shannon to Dromod, with decent single carriageway between Carrick and Castlebaldwin.

Bigger priorities on the N15 and N17

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BenBulben18

marno21 wrote: »
    M/N4 Mullingar to Longford is in the Capital Plan.

N4 Collooney-Castlebaldwin is starting this year.

The only gap that requires extensive work is Carrick on Shannon to Dromod, with decent single carriageway between Carrick and Castlebaldwin.

Bigger priorities on the N15 and N17

That's actually true. The biggest pain on the Sligo - Dublin journey currently is undoubtedly from Longford to the start of the Mullingar bypass, so that being completed would be super for Sligo. The rest of the journey, aside from the short Castlebaldwin stretch, is fine.

• Advertisement

That's actually true. The biggest pain on the Sligo - Dublin journey currently is undoubtedly from Longford to the start of the Mullingar bypass, so that being completed would be super for Sligo. The rest of the journey, aside from the short Castlebaldwin stretch, is fine.

And Carrick on Shannon, which is also in the Capital Plan

Advertisement