Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wear and tear rental property.

Options
  • 08-02-2017 5:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hello.

Coming towards the end of my rental agreement and looking for some advice on what i can expect. Signed a 12 month contract last December and asked to extend it by 3 months which was fine, never signed another agreement just told me to cancel my direct debit this month. Had a few issues when i moved in with electrical items all quickly sorted and no issues since rent paid with no issues etc.

Problem is the cheap leather or fake leather sofa that was in the property. It started cracking within the first month of living there and stupidly i never bothered to report it. Its got quite alot of cracks now large pieces of the leather have come off. Thing is i wasn't that fussed about getting another im out of the country a reasonable amount of the time and don't spend much time watching the TV. Also i haven't damaged it i just sat on it not sure if the agents are going to try and shaft me here.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't think anyone here can read the estate agents mind but they can't really hold you responsible for a fake leather couch doing what fake couches do. Have that conversation with them on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

This is likely to fall under wear and tear especially for fake leather. Don't get them to replace or repair if it's just going to happen again. If you're fine with it, say you can live with it and they can replace or repair it when you leave, but it is the tenant's obligation to let the landlord/agent know of any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

If its not a new couch then I cant see them going after you. They'll lose. However, if it were just put in before you moved in I'd say you might be in for an argument.

The lesson is learned. Report everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hoppo1982

Most reasonable agents will use common sense when carrying out a final inspection. I suspect all of the positive factors you mention will be taken into account.

You can always contact the RTB if you believe you have not been treated fairly.

Advertisement