Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice ...new horse

Options
  • 08-02-2017 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm just looking for a bit of advice. Sold a horse that young lad a few months ago. He needs a bigger ..One. so we see one for 2800 for sale and it's in a livery yard and it's the right size. Owner says it's in everyday use. It's calm plenty of energy ...15 years old a gelding ..Very suitable for inter yard competitions..So sounds ideal for what we want. Recently vet checked teeth done back done ..Owner is going to ride and jump and canter for us and then let the young lad do same.
    I will of course get him full vet checked if I think he is suitable.
    Prior to that what other questions should I ask...I think I will video the young lad on him and put it here perhaps for views...Young lad said he will turn him in big circle small circle ....Change direction canter watch his step etc ...Which is ok ..Not knowing a lot about horses ...What advice could you give me please ...I will look for passport ...And vet report re upto date jabs etc ....Any other advice much appreciated
    Thks
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

Take someone else who is experienced with you. An objective set of eyes will often spot issues and small things potential buyers miss.

It's very easy to get distracted by a seller talking, or be swayed by what your son thinks. So it's well worth (even if you have to pay a few quid) bringing someone else along. It can save you a lot of money and hassle in the long run. Good luck with the buying!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

Video them being ridden by the owner and your son and watch it away from the yard. The camera often catches what the eye might miss!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

I guess you have checked the owner himself? and the yard owner if different? the equestrian world is small, so reputation is everything. Otherwise you seem to be doing all the right things! good luck! - and take someone else with you as suggested by Paddi22

Advertisement