Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Is it cheaper...

• 08-02-2017 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi folks,
    I'm thinking of doing an attic conversion and in time extending out the back of the house (by about 30 sq/m). However I've two questions;
    1) Is it generally cheaper to get both jobs done at once? If so by how much approx.? (in terms of %)
    2) If I were to extend upstairs also (on top of the 30 sq/m, ie. building on top of the extension), is this a LOT cheaper (considering the foundations etc are down)? If so, how much cheaper in terms of %?
    Any questions, just ask. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Any drawings?
    If doing upstairs at a later date you must endure the structural work is done at ground floor to allow it.

Probably need to get the drawings done to cost but you will pay a premium to get all the jobs done separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 beaconballs

Hi Kceire,
    The house is a new build and the structural work is done I believe. Neighbours have done theirs and it's cost between 13-16K for the full attic conversion (without ensuite) but including velux's etc.
    The only additional thing we were thinking was a large dormer window, so that's why I thought getting it done when the extension was going in (this could take a few years to save obviously), could save us money.
    With regard the 1st floor extension above the kitchen extension, I would 100% get this done at the same time. My questions are around getting the attic (incl. dormer) & kitchen/1st floor extension done at the same time and what the potential savings could be. Thanks

Planning required for the former so budget time and money for that.

Thanks Kceire.

A dormer I understand is the only thing I'd need planning for. Thanks. Hopefully people can help me with the above.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

We converted our attic, we were lucky that my father and brother in law, were able to do all the work, including plumbing for rads, and electrics - total cost was under €5k for all materials - including velux windows, from Poland, delivered door to door.

• Advertisement

We converted our attic, we were lucky that my father and brother in law, were able to do all the work, including plumbing for rads, and electrics - total cost was under €5k for all materials - including velux windows, from Poland, delivered door to door.

When was this?
    Where did you order from?

Windows from Gliwice, Poland
    All the carpentry / heating /electrical / plumbing / insulation locally in Waterford / Wexford.
    No labour costs was the big thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭893bet

Windows from Gliwice, Poland
    All the carpentry / heating /electrical / plumbing / insulation locally in Waterford / Wexford.
    No labour costs was the big thing

No compliance was also a big cost saving.

Should there every be a fire God forbid your insurance may not pay out....

signed off by county council, brother in law is an architect, also signed off by insurance. stairs was the only thing we needed planning permission for, as size was within limits for making changes

signed off by county council, brother in law is an architect, also signed off by insurance. stairs was the only thing we needed planning permission for, as size was within limits for making changes

The county council doesn't provide sign off??
    This was my reasoning for asking, as I was curious if the products complied with our CE Certification Regulation (CPR).

You also don't need planning for a stairs so I'm confused as to what actually happened. You do need planning for the dormer structure though.

• Advertisement

We have a county council mortgage, so we spoke with them and gave them the plans, its a 2 storey house, less than a certain size changes didn't need planning,(30m2, I think). The stairs did need planning and had to be certain regulations, and the electrical work also had to be certified. We did all this almost 10 years ago at this point

We have a county council mortgage, so we spoke with them and gave them the plans, its a 2 storey house, less than a certain size changes didn't need planning,(30m2, I think). The stairs did need planning and had to be certain regulations, and the electrical work also had to be certified. We did all this almost 10 years ago at this point

Still sounds very strange. You say you added a dormer window. That needs planning. Stairs do not require planning. The 30 Sq. M means nothing that I am aware of.

Sounds strange and I'd have someone look into it for you.

So.... Back to my original question please :-)

If (for example) if costs 1000 per sq/m, what would it be to create a room above it also? 50% the price?

Also does anyone know how much a dormer window costs? (Take all planning is done, approved etc.) I'm talking about the labour and window etc.? Thanks

Advertisement